Kindly List Engineering Universities of Punjab,Pakistan

Hey guys

i just gave my FSC pre engineering final exams..

i was wondering if you guys cud help me make a list of Engg. universities in Pakistan more like in Punjab.. private or govt...

cuz now i wana apply for different universities and i dont wana miss any...

kindly help me out..

I recently gave F.Sc Pre-engr exams too and i will be failed in Maths :(

Well, i also don't want to continue engineering. I am going to do Diploma in Multimedia from Arena then will do B.Sc in Multimedia and Animation from abroad. Besides, i will try to pass F.Sc Maths by giving papers next year. After that maybe i will give B.A papers privately too.

Okay now your turn :D , in which field are you interested ? :)

^

lol i also had very bad papers....

i dont know man i am more than interested in Software engg. not for degree purpose but cuz i WANT to study it..

i wana study software engg. cuz my coding skills are excellent and i know if i go in that field i ll drop bombs...

p.s. i changed the whole topic name and description .. now i hope i can get some help...

^ What kind of software are you good at / interested in?

^

i m pretty good at modifying scripts... like i pick up their thing very quickly.. currently i m dealing with php stuff and i m picking it up fast..

i love to do that.. writing codes..

but as i ll get in to SOFTWARE ENGINEERING then i m sure there will be wide list of opportunities and i ll get alot better chance to POLISH my skills...

^ How about compiled languages? C, C++, C#, Java etc?

^

nope i dont know #$%# about them yet..

but thats why i wana do software Engg.

^ To be a good software developer you need to be an expert in at least one compiled language and at least one scripting language. Compiled languages are a more significant skill since they are hard! And honestly university will only teach you so much. If you're genuinely interested then you have to invest some time into learning outside of academics as well. I suggest you start with C++. It includes most of the main concepts in programming languages and once you have mastered it, you can easily switch to another language. Scripting languages are almost like writing english, so once you understand the programming constructs, the syntax itself is easy!

well in Pakistan, most of the universities are offering BSCS, though it is same as software engineering but software engg. comes under PEC (Pakistan engg. counsel) accreditation, and bscs comes under another department...

i am listing universities for both i.e BsCS and S.E in Punjab, based on HEC ranking, repute and my experience ;) ..

PIEAS................................ Isb.

LUMS (SSE).........................LHR

NUST................................ RWP

UET.....................................LHR, KSK, GUJ

FAST-NU..............................LHR

COMSATS............................LHR

PU (S.E in old campus)..........LHR

AIR.......................................ISB

GIKI could also be good option if u can go outside Punjab, but they will not give you admission since you have done FSc. pre Engg. and their eligibility for SE is ICS...

these are the universities which have respected name in CS field,,, there are many other intitutes offering CS like GCU, but i dont recommend them, the reason is their CS departments are either not good or not matured....

+ in all above universities i myself applied, i got admission admission offers from 4 universities, and in BSCS from FAST as well, but i left all CS offers because i wanted Engr. before my name....

Well Shoukat if you r looking for admission in CS, i recommend you PIEAS and FAST.....

if u need any tips or guidance for admission in these universities, or any other, feel free to ask...

Good Luck

@ Sah

sah i am doing Chemical Engineering..... C language is also in my course.... in a previous semester we studied computers and languages like C (only intro), HTML, PHP etc. in a subject called "Introduction to computers"

Now in currrent semester we are studying "Introduction to computer programing"... and the whole course is comprising only C language,

and it was soooooooo difficult for me, (dont know why YOU love this CS stuff despite of being in electrical engg.? ) i just hardly passed term exams of that subject was v. good in practicals though.....

now i know c language but i wonder,,,, why we are taught this course in engineering? when i cant develop a software with it,,,?

what else do i need to learn to develop a PROPER software....?

i dont care in which semester my uni is gonna teach me that ....2 months holidays are coming after exams... i want to learn all that stuff in these holidays, so that it reduce the burden of future....

^ Everyone nowadays takes some form of intro to computing/programming. Its to expose you to whats out there especially since the various disciplines are starting to overlap. If someday you decide to write some kind of software tool to help chemical engineers, then this knowledge would help you.

You can develop a 'proper' software with C if you wanted to. I don't know why you think you can't. Higher level object oriented languages are more important nowadays though since they include programming constructs which allows the developer to do more in less time. Consider learning C++. Java is easier and also very popular.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

@ Sah

sah i am doing Chemical Engineering… C language is also in my course… in a previous semester we studied computers and languages like C (only intro), HTML, PHP etc. in a subject called "Introduction to computers"

Now in currrent semester we are studying “Introduction to computer programing”… and the whole course is comprising only C language,

and it was soooooooo difficult for me, (dont know why YOU love this CS stuff despite of being in electrical engg.? ) i just hardly passed term exams of that subject was v. good in practicals though…

now i know c language but i wonder, why we are taught this course in engineering? when i cant develop a software with it,?

what else do i need to learn to develop a PROPER software…?

i dont care in which semester my uni is gonna teach me that …2 months holidays are coming after exams… i want to learn all that stuff in these holidays, so that it reduce the burden of future…

[/quote]

It’s really strange for me that you are having a keen interest in Software Programming and you feel the “C” such a difficult to do with.

BTW It’s alway an interest of yours to your subjects which doesn’t let you feel it a difficult thing. And you just changed my view about that it was always:P perhaps it’s not now.

Else it’s right what sah said about the introduction to computers and languages is pretty common now in almost all the courses… But I think it’s even more than an introduction like you have studied about C, HTML, PHP, etc… in your 1st sem. and still studying programming.

As well I just felt that in your above post, you showed your interest in CS more than the Chemical Engineering what actually you are doing. Can I ask why is that? Are you really comfortable with Chemical Engineering?

Any how it’s also not true that you can not develop softwares with C. It’s just like an era when you don’t actually do with some specific tool any more when some more user friendly tools get available to you. but it doesn’t mean that the older one can’t do any thing. Instead in this case C, C++ are still the “maai baap” of current languages.

Working with current tools and languages is easy but it will not give you the exposure if you don’t actually have any idea what’s behind the scene.

Learning C, C++ as your basics are what I usually recommend to all who are interested to get in. Later the Java is just like “koo chi koo chi koo” friendly language, only if you have worked and had interest in C++, otherwise it’s another boring stage for you.

What’s the outline of your “Introduction to Computer Programming”?

I don't know about the curricula in Pakistani universities, but an

undergraduate degree in CS abroad involves a lot of Mathematics.

And it's not the 2+2 kind, but concepts in discrete mathematics

as applied to computer science. Logic, proof techniques, set

theory, combinatorics, discrete probability and number theory.

Later on, it involves working with algorithms and data structures.

A CS is far more than a mere programmer/coder. His work is

basically that of a mathematician (a scientist) who after working

through a problem, is then able to express his conclusions

through code and data. Like a philosopher choosing a language,

to give birth to an idea. But it's the idea, where it's really at.

Remember the proofs you had to memorize in matric Geometry ?.

The Left Hand Side == Right Hand Side, Hence Proved ?. Consider,

coming-up with the entire proof, on your own, with no textbook

to guide you... that! is at the heart of Computer Science.

Sheikh 'If K > 1 and Q is <= K... ' Chilli

Bahria (Software Engineering, Computer Engineering) ------- ISB

Air University (Software Engineering, Computer Engineering and Telecom Engineering,....) .... ISB

I don’t know about the curricula in Pakistani universities, but an

undergraduate degree in CS abroad involves a lot of Mathematics..

[/quote]

Good point… It’s true. Here in Pakistan also, BSCS includes all the study. We never pointed it out here, ever. Any one here asks about the BS in computer science recommendations and we start talking about Programming

This is off topic as the thread is asking for the Universities list. But I think it’s good mention the following for ones who find the programming a target for them apparently and just start thinking to get in the Computer Sciences…

It’s really not all you learn in BSCS. Computer Programming is actually what you learn your self on the basis of the study you do in BS/MS or any where else.

For more extent the study in BS doesn’t include only the Programming Languages or Subjects, it does include much more than that. Not only a lot of mathematics but some other kicks as well.

- Calculus (Extreme Mathematics, usually divided in two parts for the convenience of the students if the course goes in depth). basics of this you may have done in your pre-eng… but there is lot more waiting for you

• Discrete Mathematics (as told by chilli above, But seriously it was entertaining to me.)

• Statistics, Physics, Electronics.

• And yes Operations Research…

• Multimedia Systems (Don’t smile, it’s not about Computer Graphics. It’s Pure theory.)

• Digital Logic Design, Data Structures, Computer Architecture, AI, Algorithms

• And then the Software Engineering Programming Languages (Only that part we usually discuss here which is not good enough alone for being a Graduate)

• And blah blah blah…

However the courses may change from one institute to another. but the courses told above should be there in your curriculum they have to be in standard education of BSCS hons

@ Sah

yeah i know you can develop a 'proper' software with C, but i cant since till this semester what i have been taught is " write a program which performs this #$%# and that #$%#, i havnt been taught how can i join all these stuff to write a proper usable software, they will teach it after another semester, but i thibk that would be difficult so i want to learn it now, so that it doesnt put much burden on me, also it will be side skill and quite usable too...

@ KA

Khurram bhai i never wrote in my post that i have keen interest in software programming, more than ch engg. , i wanted to say that if i have to learn this CS stuff in my engineering then i should learn it properly, and i want to learn all related stuff as an side skill and it is hell a lot of usable too...

As well I just felt that in your above post, you showed your interest in CS more than the Chemical Engineering what actually you are doing. Can I ask why is that? Are you really comfortable with Chemical Engineering?
[/quote]

Yeah i have interest in CS but NOT more than engineering,, i love applied sciences... and chemical engineering is most basic and vastest field of all engineering disciplines, i chose it on my will and i am 80% happy with it....

What's the outline of your "Introduction to Computer Programming"?
[/quote]

it would be difficult for me to write all outline this time,,,, however i can mention some chapter of "Waite's Turbo C"

*TC programming environment

*C building blocks

*Loops

*Decisions

*Functions

*Arrays and strings

*Pointers

*Structure, union

*Memory and character display...

and some more topics related to turbo C graphics (just some of it),

@ Shoukat

dude your thread is NOT getting off topic posts, in fact this discussion will be use able for you.....

CASE Isb

@ KA

Khurram bhai i never wrote in my post that i have keen interest in software programming, more than ch engg. , i wanted to say that if i have to learn this CS stuff in my engineering then i should learn it properly, and i want to learn all related stuff as an side skill and it is hell a lot of usable too…

Yeah i have interest in CS but NOT more than engineering, i love applied sciences… and chemical engineering is most basic and vastest field of all engineering disciplines, i chose it on my will and i am 80% happy with it…

[/quote]

:D Yes I know you did never write about that :P I just felt that so I asked about it. And this is good you should really be comfortable with your primary studies… :)

It was just my guess and nothing else… and now I guess that my guess was wrong…

BTW two months is quite good span to play with them if seriously and interestedly dedicated.

@ Shoukat

dude your thread is NOT getting off topic posts, in fact this discussion will be use able for you…

[/quote]

yea i know that…

and if i am not replying that doesnt mean i am not interested in this thread… :) i have read each and every word in this thread…