Keyboards ‘dirtier Than A Toilet'

Keyboards ‘dirtier than a toilet’

Friday, May 02, 2008

LONDON: Some computer keyboards harbour more harmful bacteria than a toilet seat, research has suggested.

Consumer group Which? said tests at its London offices found equipment carrying bugs that could cause food poisoning. Out of 33 keyboards swabbed, four were regarded as a potential health hazard and one harboured five times more germs than one of the office’s toilet seats.

During the Which? tests in January this year, a microbiologist deemed one of the office’s keyboards to be so dirty he ordered it to be removed, quarantined and cleaned.

It had 150 times the recommended limit for bacteria - five times as filthy as a lavatory seat tested at the same time, the research found. The equipment was swabbed for bugs, such as those that can cause food poisoning like E coli and staphylococcus aureus.

Dr Wilson, a consultant microbiologist at University College London Hospital, told BBC Radio five Live sharing a keyboard could be passing on illnesses among office workers. “If you look at what grows on computer keyboards, and hospitals are worse, believe it or not, it’s more or less a reflection of what’s in your nose and in your gut,” he said.

“Should somebody have a cold in your office, or even have gastroenteritis, you’re very likely to pick it up from a keyboard.” Which? said one of the causes of dirty keyboards was users eating lunch at their desk, with crumbs encouraging the growth of bacteria.

Poor personal hygiene, such as not washing hands after going to the toilet, could also be to blame, it said. Which? computing editor Sarah Kidner advised users to give their computer “a spring clean”.

“It’s quite simple to do and could prevent your computer from becoming a health hazard,” she said. She said dust and food crumbs should be shaken out of keyboards and they should be wiped with a soft, lightly dampened, lint-free cloth. They should also be disinfected with alcohol wipes.

Research by the University of Arizona last year found the average office desktop harboured 400 times more bacteria than the average office toilet seat. They also found that, compared to men, on average women have three to four times the amount of germs in, on and around their work area.

http://thenews.com.pk/daily_detail.asp?id=110203

They're on it again? :lol: .. My keyboard is nice, clean, pure, err... whatever

i am wearing gloves while typing

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

i am wearing gloves while typing
[/quote]

Don’t worry, next research will conclude: Used gloves are dirtier than sewage lines. Use a new one each time. :lol:

Though that may be true, I use various keyboards (not necessarily my own...) throughout the day and nothing has happened to me yet! So who cares..! :)

Don’t worry, next research will conclude: Used gloves are dirtier than sewage lines. Use a new one each time. :lol:

[/quote]

didn’t thought about that

btw they forgot about the “mouse” :D

i am glad they didn't wrote that you can have AIDs if you use someone else's keyboard :D

Actually there are a lot of germy bytes, if one wants to indulge. I have read in many places, recently on Yahoo, that when you flush your toilet, millions of germs are scattered and guess where they end.. yes.. on ur tooth brush.. anyhow.. heres the article.. sorry for all those who i have ruined brushing in the morning..

Anyhow there are a ton of these researches.. true or not.. theres surely alot of nasty stuff out there..

oh and as far as dirty keyboards are concerned, the worst ones are sure to be in one of those LAN game places.. yuck!

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/the-nasty-truth-about-your-toothbrush-161051/

Actually there are a lot of germy bytes, if one wants to indulge. I have read in many places, recently on Yahoo, that when you flush your toilet, millions of germs are scattered and guess where they end… yes… on ur tooth brush… anyhow… heres the article… sorry for all those who i have ruined brushing in the morning…

Anyhow there are a ton of these researches… true or not… theres surely alot of nasty stuff out there…

oh and as far as dirty keyboards are concerned, the worst ones are sure to be in one of those LAN game places… yuck!

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/the-nasty-truth-about-your-toothbrush-161051/

[/quote]

I remember watching a mythbusters episode where they did some tests regarding this and found no proof.

Actually there are a lot of germy bytes, if one wants to indulge. I have read in many places, recently on Yahoo, that when you flush your toilet, millions of germs are scattered and guess where they end… yes… on ur tooth brush… anyhow… heres the article… sorry for all those who i have ruined brushing in the morning…

Anyhow there are a ton of these researches… true or not… theres surely alot of nasty stuff out there…

oh and as far as dirty keyboards are concerned, the worst ones are sure to be in one of those LAN game places… yuck!

[/quote]

i am not gonna brush my teeth even if my mouth smells like rotten fish :P

yeah, I also watched that episode of MythBusters ... and they also proved in that very episode that the cleanest place in your house is the toilet seat.. :P

and they also proved in that very episode that the cleanest place in your house is the toilet seat… :P
[/quote]

did they?

i am gonna replace my computer chair with… :P

did they?

[/quote]

on the same episode they also proved that a dogs mouth is cleaner than a humans

Has anyone died from using a keyboard? I doubt it.

Studies have shown that a persons groin and butt have fewer germs then someones hand and face. .. Exposure to germs everyday is what keeps your immune system healthy and ready to fight off infections.

I wouldn't lick it clean though! :P

read the title of this thread and then washed my keyboard with detol, it stinks now :(

did they?

[/quote]

that should also help in multi-tasking…

on the same episode they also proved that a dogs mouth is cleaner than a humans

[/quote]

now don’t make me kiss dogs :P

that should also help in multi-tasking…

[/quote]

ROFL :D

Definitely

plz wash ur keyboards mice monitors and cpu's regularly, atleast once a week. If u dont have time to wash just drop at my door. :D

plz wash ur keyboards mice monitors and cpu’s regularly, atleast once a week. If u dont have time to wash just drop at my door. :D
[/quote]

i would love to wash them with flowing water but that would damage them permanently

i would have taken them to a car service station infact