KESC Meter going fast?

In March we got 160 Units.

In April we got 400 Units.

In May we got around 900 Units.

In June now, we have got 2100 units !!!

For July, i just checked the meter and we have spent around 1000 Units for this month. I want to know is there a way of checking if my Meter is running fast? because i find it hard to beleive that from 400 units our bill jumped up by 1600 units when we are using almost the same amount of electricity??

i guess the best way is to shut everything off and run a single 1.5 ton or 2 ton ac which should be around 7amps & 13amps receptively. if you have an amp meter use that to figure out exactly how many amps your ac utilizes, next simple monitor the meter, see how many units it runs in 1 hour. on 8 amps the meter should run about 2 units an hour.

KESC is not reading meters for the last three months and billing mode is Average so in fact they should be charging less than your actual consumption. If your meter reading is really high then check for some theft or leakage.

Well they did come for reading and it doesnt say in my bill that it was based on average ( I think that's mentioned if they are billing you on average??) Plus we checked the meter ourselves and the reading seems to be correct so the only thing we can think off is that our meter is going fast.

How do we check for leakage or theft?

[quote=“alamode, post:, topic:”]

In March we got 160 Units.

In April we got 400 Units.

In May we got around 900 Units.

In June now, we have got 2100 units !!!

For July, i just checked the meter and we have spent around 1000 Units for this month. I want to know is there a way of checking if my Meter is running fast? because i find it hard to beleive that from 400 units our bill jumped up by 1600 units when we are using almost the same amount of electricity??

[/quote]

Type of Meter ? Digital or old gear type meter ?

Did your meter recently got changed during past few months? Can you compare your recent months bills to last year bills ?

Are there two connections in the same house? If yes, what is the 2nd meter type ? Digital or old analog ?

The best way to check your meter is to turn off every thing and connect a 100 Watt old incandescent bulb. This is because old filament type bulb is a purely resistive and known load of 100W. Now count the revolutions of the wheel in one minute. On most of the meters, No of Rev/KWh is written (e.g. 400 Rev/KWh). If you are able to count the number of revolutions in one minute, you can simply do some maths to check if your load is really read by the meter as 100W or more.

100W bulb is 0.1KW load and it should cause the 400Rev/KWh meter to count 40 Rev/Hour or 0.666 Rev/Minute

If your meter is digital, then it should show itself how much KW is connected.

[Edit] Sorry Double post [/Edit]

[quote=", post:5, topic:15117"]

Did your meter recently got changed during past few months? Can you compare your recent months bills to last year bills ?

Are there two connections in the same house? If yes, what is the 2nd meter type ? Digital or old analog ?

The best way to check your meter is to turn off every thing and connect a 100 Watt old incandescent bulb. This is because old filament type bulb is a purely resistive and known load of 100W. Now count the revolutions of the wheel in one minute. On most of the meters, No of Rev/KWh is written (e.g. 400 Rev/KWh). If you are able to count the number of revolutions in one minute, you can simply do some maths to check if your load is really read by the meter as 100W or more.

100W bulb is 0.1KW load and it should cause the 400Rev/KWh meter to count 40 Rev/Hour or 0.666 Rev/Minute

[/quote]

Highly useful and informative. Incremented.

So a 1000 watt iron (only iron) running for an hour should yield 400 revolutions right? is this 400Revs/KWh standard throughout pakistan?

While your at it, 1 unit = ?

[quote=“Faisal, post:7, topic:15117”]

Highly useful and informative. Incremented.

[/quote]

Thanks. Your encouraging attitude refreshes me to post more :)

So a 1000 watt iron (only iron) running for an hour should yield 400 revolutions right? is this 400Revs/KWh standard throughout pakistan?

[/quote]

Yes, you got it right. I have seen some industrial meters which are not 400 Rev/KWh. But it should be mentioned right on the meter.

While your at it, 1 unit = ?

[/quote]

Sorry I didn’t get it. Can you please be more specific?

[quote=", post:8, topic:15117"]

Sorry I didn’t get it. Can you please be more specific?

[/quote]

I mean how to define a unit? the same unit for which we are billed for…the electricity units in the bill.

[quote=", post:5, topic:15117"]

[/quote]

Good information.

Well i have the old analogue meter. Meter didnt get changed in the past few months and this is a new house in which we are living so we dont have any bills before march 2011. Plus there is only one connection.

[quote=“Faisal, post:9, topic:15117”]

I mean how to define a unit? the same unit for which we are billed for…the electricity units in the bill.

[/quote]

One unit of electricity is consumed when you run 1000W load for one hour. That’s what KWh (Kill-Watt Hour) means.

If you use 400 Watts load and run it for 2.5 hours, you will consume 01 KWh or 01 unit of electricity.

[quote=“alamode, post:10, topic:15117”]

Good information.

Well i have the old analogue meter. Meter didnt get changed in the past few months and this is a new house in which we are living so we dont have any bills before march 2011. Plus there is only one connection.

[/quote]

So it’s a single meter and old analog type.

Now its time to check the meter with a known load. Better hire some electrician who has a clamp type AC ampere meter and ask him to check / compare your KESC meter with his clamp meter. May be your meter has gone mad :)

How much is air-conditioner usage ?

[quote=", post:11, topic:15117"]

One unit of electricity is consumed when you run 1000W load for one hour. That’s what KWh (Kill-Watt Hour) means.

If you use 400 Watts load and run it for 2.5 hours, you will consume 01 KWh or 01 unit of electricity.

[/quote]

Great. I knew that … well, it doesn’t hurt to be sure right? :lol:

Incremented.

http://sbeec.com/single_phase_static.html

[quote=", post:12, topic:15117"]

So it’s a single meter and old analog type.

Now its time to check the meter with a known load. Better hire some electrician who has a clamp type AC ampere meter and ask him to check / compare your KESC meter with his clamp meter. May be your meter has gone mad :)

How much is air-conditioner usage ?

[/quote]

I guess ill have to ask an electrician to come over.

Well, In day time all of us go to office. So from morning 9am to evening 7pm we are only using a few lights and fans (usually only of one room and tv lounge) Plus the usual usage of Microwave, Fridge etc etc… Whereas after 11pm, We use 3 AC Splits and fans in three rooms. That runs till morning 7 or 8 am.

Thats it… Plus we only have 3 rooms, 1 kitchen and 1 tv lounge in our house.

Wow, a great record now your meter is going to cross 5000 units without electricity.... :P lolz..

Yeah its going very fast! they just know how to make the meters run fast but dont know how to overcome the load shading.