KESC announces 15% hike in tariff!

KARACHI: KESC Monday announced 15 per cent hike in electricity tariff, making the basic utility more expensive for the Karachiites.

The rise in electricity rate is a result of fuel adjustment charges, sources said.

Source: http://thenews.com.pk/updates.asp?id=44464

They will make the electricity so expensive that people would rather just sweat instead of turning on their AC.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

They will make the electricity so expensive that people would rather just sweat instead of turning on their AC.
[/quote]

hence, less consumption of electircity

good news, at least now ppl would be a bit careful about using electricity excessively.

damn man, nobody here seems to worry about decreasing their power needs. on personal level i've installed a 20W energysaver (use it when i m on my pc and not studying) which gives around 65% of the light of a 40W tubelight .. did the same in every room ....but my brother keeps using his 40W tube regardless of how many times i tell him to use an energy saver.

You can't keep asking the people to save energy when they already don't waste any. Government needs to come up with some fix for this issue quickly.

You can’t keep asking the people to save energy when they already don’t waste any. Government needs to come up with some fix for this issue quickly.
[/quote]

People waste a lot of electricity, they leave their fans, lights and AC’s on when they don’t even need them.

This is progress; at least KESC is not losing money with every kwH they provide to customers...

This would be the first steps towards fixing the system.

You can’t keep asking the people to save energy when they already don’t waste any.
[/quote]

You’d be surprised how much energy we waste unknowingly, unwittingly and inadvertently. Do you know when you turn you TV off, it goes into sleep mode, and still consumes over 70-80% of its rated energy. Also if only every one in Karachi, right now turned off a single light bulb in their homes which may not be needed to be on, would save a lot of energy. So we as consumers and as a whole could actually contribute a lot towards saving energy as opposed to assuming we don’t have any to conserve in the first place.

[/quote]

The foremost requirement is the electricity to be available. 4.5 - 5 hours load-shedding in this area of Rawalpindi since 2-3 days. 11am - 12pm, 4-5pm, 7-8pm, 10-11pm (or 11-11:30pm), and 2-3am … arggh :mad: Add to that unscheduled maintenance, thereby causing a 5 hour outage day before yesterday.

My UPS’s hardly keeping up. It discharged completely time and again as the voltage of low since past 4-5 days and the UPS wasn’t charging at normal pace. And my microwave oven was taking at least 50% more time to do the heating. The voltage issue is fixed now, thank God; for once I thought it was permanent and was looking into buying a gas generator.

The foremost requirement is the electricity to be available. 4.5 - 5 hours load-shedding in this area of Rawalpindi since 2-3 days. 11am - 12pm, 4-5pm, 7-8pm, 10-11pm (or 11-11:30pm), and 2-3am … arggh :mad: Add to that unscheduled maintenance, thereby causing a 5 hour outage day before yesterday.

My UPS’s hardly keeping up. It discharged completely time and again as the voltage of low since past 4-5 days and the UPS wasn’t charging at normal pace. And my microwave oven was taking at least 50% more time to do the heating. The voltage issue is fixed now, thank God; for once I thought it was permanent and was looking into buying a gas generator.

[/quote]

Grrr… same here. My UPS doesn’t get enough time to fully charge so I have to shut off everything 30-15 minutes before electricity comes back.

We are currently having 6 hours of load-shedding that occurs for an hour after every three hours, but thankfully they spare us after midnight till 5am.

its not bad if they discontinue load shedding otherwise f*ck off kesc

btw the members who are saying that people waste a lot of electricity i ask them a question do you keep your computer switched on at the night to download stuff or you shut it down?

To be honest, my computer is on 24/7 for past 1 year.. except the load shedding hours of course

To be honest, my computer is on 24/7 for past 1 year… except the load shedding hours of course
[/quote]

how many watts is your pc’s power supply?

I always try to conserve energy by switching off faltoo lights at home.

everybody is WASTING energy if he uses it when not needed. our country isn't in a position to provide as much electricity as we need. SURE these days everybody's got enough paisa to pay huge bills. the point is, we should collectively lower our needs. my pc is turned on for 5 hours avg in d evening. other than that energy savers in da kitchen, rooms and washrooms. if everybody do the same our loadshedding will be reduced to half the time! think!

everybody is WASTING energy if he uses it when not needed. our country isn’t in a position to provide as much electricity as we need. SURE these days everybody’s got enough paisa to pay huge bills. the point is, we should collectively lower our needs. my pc is turned on for 5 hours avg in d evening. other than that energy savers in da kitchen, rooms and washrooms. if everybody do the same our loadshedding will be reduced to half the time! think!
[/quote]

That was what my point was. I probably don’t save as much energy as i could myself, but someone mentioned earlier, that we do not have enough energy to save in the first place, which is grossly wrong. If we wanted to, we COULD save a lot of energy.

My PC is on 24/7 except when light goes out. Considering that I am using two power supplies (450W and 300W), that is quite a bit of load. I do plan to replace it with a CM PSU of around 500W or above in the next month(s).

the employees of kesc are all corrupt

they will send you average bills just because your bill is too low

note: this is just a general opinion

This 15% tarrif hike will not be able to stop energy wastage, but it will be xtra bardon to poor man.

KESC self giving KUNDA's will consume more energy then us save. It will billed to us on average bases depends on meeters fited on PMT's.

400 units for every employee is also wastage of energy but no one arguing on tht.

Plz stop supporting tarrif Increament.

An acquaintance was buying a couple of 100W electric

bulbs at the store. I asked him why was he wasn't using

an energy saver in it's place ?.

He said the regular bulb was Rs. 15/- while the equivalent

energy saver is Rs. 130/-. Both have a comparable lifespan

(in his experience), so he would spend more money on

replacing the bulbs, then he would ever save on his electric

bill, whose validity was questionable to begin with. Even

when he goes away on vacation, he comes home to find

comparable gas and electricity bills waiting for him. In a

queer, ironic way, his argument does carry some weight.

In any event, various agencies and advocates have been

calling for the removal of all duties on energy saver light

fixtures, if the govt is really s-e-r-i-o-u-s about conservation.

Sheikh 'Light Saver Saber' Chilli