Kesc added 205 units to my electric bill! check your meters people

i've been taking snapshots of my kesc electric meter on the meter reading date for a couple of months and surprisingly the bill is posting the wrong "current meter reading", this month they added 205 units. not sure what to do about it, im guessing my only option is to goto the kesc billing center and hope the picture i took with my phone is good enough. anyone else noticing incorrect meter readings on their bill?

From what I have heard, this is common practice...they usually take a reading every few months, and guess the number of units for the other months based on older readings.

(This is just hearsay though)

complain to NEPRA about this through thhere website,they are good regarding complaint solving.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

i’ve been taking snapshots of my kesc electric meter on the meter reading date for a couple of months and surprisingly the bill is posting the wrong “current meter reading”, this month they added 205 units. not sure what to do about it, im guessing my only option is to goto the kesc billing center and hope the picture i took with my phone is good enough. anyone else noticing incorrect meter readings on their bill?
[/quote]

This has been done to charge the consumer at Higher Slab rate when in fact he has not cross the slab limit.

by the time you get the bill your meter has already crossed the reading written on the bill. There is no way you can proof that meter reading on the Bill is wrong.

The only way to avoid this fraud by Distribution companies is to have the meter reader guy get the reading signed by you. I have came to know this was the common practice many years ago.

its a common thing here as well..... they add 50 to 70 extra unit in the bill.... and they don't come to check the meter.

complaing doesn't solves a thing....

so basically, kesc commonly inflates the bills to pad their bottom line. stealing from the customers, brilliant. whats the point of all those stupid pepco adverts about conserving electricity then? if you do infact reduce your electricity consumption, kesc will still inflate the bills so you end up paying a hefty sum eitherway.

50-70 units isnt that bad but, they inflated my bill by 205 freaking units!! anyways i registered a complaint with nepra and plan to go by the billing department on monday, see if theres anything i can do.

205 units sounds like a genuine mistake at their part which will be rectified.

so basically, kesc commonly inflates the bills to pad their bottom line. stealing from the customers, brilliant. whats the point of all those stupid pepco adverts about conserving electricity then? if you do infact reduce your electricity consumption, kesc will still inflate the bills so you end up paying a hefty sum eitherway.

50-70 units isnt that bad but, they inflated my bill by 205 freaking units!! anyways i registered a complaint with nepra and plan to go by the billing department on monday, see if theres anything i can do.

[/quote]

even 2 Units inflated are very very bad if they move you into higher slab rate. Distribution companies are easily doing this kind of fraud because all of us carry this mentality “Let it be”

even 2 Units inflated are very very bad if they move you into higher slab rate. Distribution companies are easily doing this kind of fraud because all of us carry this mentality “Let it be”

[/quote]

^ Ditto

i went buy the billing office, and he basically told me to take another snapshot of the meter next month and if the bill still has an incorrect reading, come by the office again and he'll get it adjusted.

^ so now they know not to steal from you next month

they will try the month after that :P

does the meter reading date remain same every month?

wireless remote monitoring of Power consumption powered by Google ( need a special device to be installed )

http://www.google.com/powermeter/about/

^ so now they know not to steal from you next month

they will try the month after that :P

[/quote]

thank you for the useless comment

does the meter reading date remain same every month?
[/quote]

yep 14th of every month.

wireless remote monitoring of Power consumption powered by Google ( need a special device to be installed )

http://www.google.com/powermeter/about/

[/quote]

well what good would that do? the meter reader who works for kesc made the intentional or unintentional mistake of not reading the freaking numbers correctly.

well what good would that do? the meter reader who works for kesc made the intentional or unintentional mistake of not reading the freaking numbers correctly.

[/quote]

If the meter reader knows that Customer is remotely monitoring the Meter and all usage history is tracked he should not dare to do the “intentional” mistake again.

I am looking at our KESC bill and there are 3 dates which are

of interest to me. They are M/R (Meter Reading) Date, the date

the bill was issued and the due-by-date.

The meter is read on the 1st or 3rd of each month (it varies).

The bill is issued exactly 3 days later by the office, carrying a

Due-by-Date that's 12 days down the line.

If I wanted to catch a cross-eyed meter reader, I would submit

a snapshot of the correct (hopefully much lower) reading to the

KESC office before my meter caught-up with the jacked-up

reading taken by the crook. You can check your bill online

for any variance, before you made your move.

You would need to use the header of some newspaper next

to the meter while taking the snapshots, as a reference and

to add authenticity to your claim.

Sheikh 'Jaagtay Rahoo!' Chilli

I am looking at our KESC bill and there are 3 dates which are

of interest to me. They are M/R (Meter Reading) Date, the date

the bill was issued and the due-by-date.

The meter is read on the 1st or 3rd of each month (it varies).

The bill is issued exactly 3 days later by the office, carrying a

Due-by-Date that’s 12 days down the line.

If I wanted to catch a cross-eyed meter reader, I would submit

a snapshot of the correct (hopefully much lower) reading to the

KESC office before my meter caught-up with the jacked-up

reading taken by the crook. You can check your bill online

for any variance, before you made your move.

You would need to use the header of some newspaper next

to the meter while taking the snapshots, as a reference and

to add authenticity to your claim.

Sheikh ‘Jaagtay Rahoo!’ Chilli

[/quote]

By the time we get the printed bill in our hands the M/R Date has already passed around 1 week. So the chances that you can catch the jacked up reading fraud. If the Online Bill is available as soon as Bill is generated then this fraud can be caught as probably only 3 days would have been passed.

If you have a picture of your meter reading with a dated newspaper

against it, on ---or any day after the official meter reading date--- with

a lower reading than what is on your bill, then their goose is cooked.

Theoretically speaking.

It'll still be an uphill battle to take on the KESC admin, but at least

you will have something credible and tangible in your hand to argue

your case.

Sheikh 'City Hall' Chilli