Just out of curiosity - browsing speed on movies

i was just curious about the way they show "super quick" browsing in hollywood flicks, i mean at least me being a person who hasn't seen internet facilities of any other country besides pakistan do wonder about the way even the heaviest of sites load in a sec for these american basterds!

now of course before using broadband i used to think that it is because they are using high speed internet taht they are browsing as if the pages are stored on their hard-drives but after having experienced at least the pakistani version of broad-band myself and knowing a bit more about stuff like pings, latency etc, i some time wonder that whether such "super quick browsing" really takes place in the real/western world or is it just a way to save time for movies which are already just 1:30 hours long usually!?

any comments?

by the way plz keep google and the likes out of discussion as even i can open it in 1.02333 sec ;)

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

i was just curious about the way they show “super quick” browsing in hollywood flicks, i mean at least me being a person who hasn’t seen internet facilities of any other country besides pakistan do wonder about the way even the heaviest of sites load in a sec for these american basterds!

now of course before using broadband i used to think that it is because they are using high speed internet taht they are browsing as if the pages are stored on their hard-drives but after having experienced at least the pakistani version of broad-band myself and knowing a bit more about stuff like pings, latency etc, i some time wonder that whether such “super quick browsing” really takes place in the real/western world or is it just a way to save time for movies which are already just 1:30 hours long usually!?

any comments?

by the way plz keep google and the likes out of discussion as even i can open it in 1.02333 sec ;)

[/quote]

i havent really expereinced the speed u say coz when the time i was in america i had an ISDN line which wasnt that fast

but 4 years ago when i was in china and had a 12 mbit connection and that was super fast

sites like miniclip.com(a popular flash site at the time ) wud open almost as fast as google

It depends on your connection and the website you're loading. I get 30-40 Mbps download speeds at work. Browsing is pretty much instantaneous unless I go to a media heavy website!

I think 1mb or 1.5mb is pretty common in the US (where Hollywood films are usually based) and since they have better infrastructure, better phone lines, better services(?) I think its not that outrageous. I've never uses any service other than Pakistani -- except dialup in KSA if you want to count that in -- so I don't really know. Maybe sah or someone living there will be able to shed more light on this! :P

But I also think they do add some editing in there to make it faster. So I guess its a combination of the two.

EDIT: oh man - your dsl goes out for a sec and you fall behind. no forum for old men!

sites like miniclip.com(a popular flash site at the time ) wud open almost as fast as google
[/quote]

so was it the case with all the sites or just few? i ask this because(and plz correct me if iam wrong)

popular sites like yahoo, msn and even mini-clips are usually stored in cache of your isp and thus can be loaded in a sec!?

so was it the case with all the sites or just few? i ask this because(and plz correct me if iam wrong)

popular sites like yahoo, msn and even mini-clips are usually stored in cache of your isp and thus can be loaded in a sec!?

[/quote]

yes i do understand that fact and yes almost all sites were that fast

yes i do understand that fact and yes almost all sites were that fast

[/quote]

…but these sites are changing about every 5 minutes or so - the cache needs to be refreshed, doesn’t it?

…but these sites are changing about every 5 minutes or so - the cache needs to be refreshed, doesn’t it?
[/quote]

yes it does but i m not sure if these sites were cached or not

the sites do open that fast, usually takes seconds to load a full site. The thing is, most of the ISPs in other countries have rates like 6mb/s. But its not as fast as I think you are referring to, it doesnt load in like 1 second, maybe 2-5 secs the site will fully load. And most of the time, its not about your download speed. Because you also have to consider the web server's traffic.

Well like I said in my post above. It really depends on the type of website you are loading. Text based sites with a few light images would load fairly fast on a 3-7 Mbps connection. And as 'instantaneous' as physically possible for your browser to render the site on a 30-40 Mbps connection. At those speeds, your connection is not the bottleneck.

Most of the sites are hosted in America so you get better browsing speed if you are in USA.For Example if you host a website on Pakistani servers and open it with Pakistani isp it will be very fast.

I think hollywood would always be one step ahead of everything. We cant actually compare RL tech with their version of everything. Noticed how they had this beautiful mail/chat applications 10-15 years ago which was not available in RL.

On a side note i too have noticed that they pages that they open are instantaneous, almost as if it were on their hard drive. But i do remember at least one case in the movie The Beach in the final scene where the protagonist opens his mail and picture loads at normal speed, it actually takes time to load.

Umm... most stuff you see in movies are NOT real. I just read the movie part of the authors post, and yeah.. the websites they load are most likely saved on their computer.

As Ashar said, it is fast, but not as fast as the blink of the eye. That's pure exaggeration.

Here's a small tip: watch the BBC or CNN - whenever there's a technology-related news clip (i.e. they show a computer screen or something like it), note the browsing speed.

Sites can take upto 4 or so seconds.... again, depends on the content. There's no such "wipe" effect as shown in the Hollywood movies, nor is it that even a 500MB file gets downloaded in 1 second... uh-huh...

So in short: it's true it's fast, but Hollywood is exaggeration. It'll never be THAT fast, IMO. It's already fast enough. Average load time: a few seconds (and not one second)

Most of the sites are hosted in America so you get better browsing speed if you are in USA.For Example if you host a website on Pakistani servers and open it with Pakistani isp it will be very fast.
[/quote]

I absolutely agree. Browsing normally is more affected by latency than its by download speeds. No wonder most of these sites open up quickly in NorthAmerica as they are hosted there. Try some site hosted in some other part of the world and you will feel the difference.

I absolutely agree. Browsing normally is more affected by latency than its by download speeds. No wonder most of these sites open up quickly in NorthAmerica as they are hosted there. Try some site hosted in some other part of the world and you will feel the difference.

[/quote]

i doubt about the pakistani hosted sites openin fast in pakistan bcz our routing is very poor… the data travels ussually travvels through japan or US before coming back 2 pakistan

i doubt about the pakistani hosted sites openin fast in pakistan bcz our routing is very poor… the data travels ussually travvels through japan or US before coming back 2 pakistan

[/quote]

europe might be fastest because of the low ping times

when i was in usa, i had a Tl line and yes it was pretty fast, faster then anythng i have expereinced in pakistan

it does not matter if u have a 4mbps connection or a 60mbps connection... a site will load fast if its latency is low... a 2mbps connection with 10-30ms latency will always be better than a 10mbps connection with 400ms latecny... As for sites in usa.. USA has a better peering and routing infrastructure... most of their local sites have a latency of 20-30ms which is further reduced due to the fact they have lots of local internet crossings or IXs and private peering points and CDNs. A site using a good cdn will have avg of 10-15ms of loading time.. which would look lightning fast as compared to wht we get from Pakistan... 250ms + to yahoo and 300ms + to europe. PIE = Old Congested * Bad Network Design!

Even if such fast speeds exist, the internet browsing in movies is fake. The pages they pretend to browse are most likely stored on the computer's local hard drive.