Joomla vs Wordpress

A small-scale progressive media group I know of were recently driven out of their rented office premises by a hardline right-wing political group, which paid the landlord the entire price of the place and took it over. They are currently looking for another place to set up their office and I would like to help them get a funding campaign going.

For this reason, they need an online space where they can centralize everything. They currently have a Facebook page and a magazine website but nothing is really connected to the other and the organization itself lacks a website. This website needs to have support for a magazine and blog section, videos, and event listings.

Which hosts would you recommend? As the group is cashstrapped, I would prefer free webhosts. Which ones have you had a good experience with? Also, since I would also most likely have to design the graphics for it, do you know any free design resources? I mostly use GIMP, so I would prefer resources that are specifically for it but it's not a necessity.

But most importantly, should I build the website using Wordpress or Joomla? I also have a regular job and studies that take up large amounts of time, so I'm looking for something robust but fast and easy to implement--HOWEVER if the easiest solution is not the best solution given the requirements of the website, then I am willing to tackle something complicated so long as it gets the job done in the best way possible.

Wordpress is easier, faster and I believe has more content available than Joomla.

Joomla is a stinkware TBH. Just go for WordPress.

wordpress has a lot of community support and free plugins and themes.. also it is flexible enough to do almost all you need.

i just installed wolrdpress theme in my site but its too slow so what can i do?

install lightweight theme or get a better speed hosting

• if you want members to access your videos on a subscription basis and have members in various levels of permission (depending on their subscription level), Joomla is your best bet.
  • If you simply want to show your videos on your site, or you only have 1 type of members and you want things to be simple and clean, WordPress will do nicely.
  • If you want to show off different types on videos on your home pages from different sections in your template, more or less like a magazine, again Joomla is better equipped for it.
  • If you want to create a video journal, WordPress makes life really easy for you.
  • Both platforms have responsive templates available.

Try another theme?

wordpress isn't good any more in terms of SEO.

[quote=“superjohn5566, post:7, topic:20640”]

• if you want members to access your videos on a subscription basis and have members in various levels of permission (depending on their subscription level), Joomla is your best bet.
  • If you simply want to show your videos on your site, or you only have 1 type of members and you want things to be simple and clean, WordPress will do nicely.
  • If you want to show off different types on videos on your home pages from different sections in your template, more or less like a magazine, again Joomla is better equipped for it.
  • If you want to create a video journal, WordPress makes life really easy for you.
  • Both platforms have responsive templates available.

[/quote]

Thank you so much!

Both of them are quite capable to do the thing you listed. I would suggest that you give 1-2 hour to play with these two on any free pre-hosted website, and go for the one that you find more easy to use.

The most cost-effective and popular CMS these days is to build on Wordpress, as a general rule. You can pay a one-time fee for a nice, current looking template with built-in features and Wordpress' open source plugin-in network provides thousands of solutions for every nuance a business would want. It also runs on a database, which can be pretty useful if you're running an ecommerce site or something with several products.

Joomla! tends to run a close send to Wordpress, but has a slightly higher learning curve and (in my experience) is harder to find people that are familiar with it. But it can be a great solution as well.

but

Drupal is the best solution for larger businesses that have to run major corporate websites, but developers and people to customize and build the thing cost considerably more than the others I've mentioned. Unless you're running a 100+ employee business, don't even bother.

I would almost always go with Joomla and Drupal. It's not that hard to learn the basics of it, and when you kinda know how things work, it makes soooooo much sense! it has some powerful modules that will make developing a lot smoother and easier. Drupal can be used for very simple sites or super complex sites also. I'm pretty sure it won't let you down in both circumstances.

http://www.pakistanwebserver.com/latest-it-news/best-cms-web-designing.html

Wordpress is easier and easy to learn. Search tutorial on net for wordpress to made custom template.

Wordpress is lot more easy to manage and more robust then joomla.

Keep in mind that to protect your blog it is important that you keep update your website otherwise hacking are always there to take your website down

[quote=“aty154, post:13, topic:20640”]

Wordpress is easier and easy to learn. Search tutorial on net for wordpress to made custom template.

Wordpress is lot more easy to manage and more robust then joomla.

Keep in mind that to protect your blog it is important that you keep update your website otherwise hacking are always there to take your website down

[/quote]

yah ofcourse wordpress is so easier then joomla but the parpes of use is also very important . I use WordPress for most of my clients and our personal work. I also use other platforms, For a real CMS, I recommend Drupal, it's a bit harder than WordPress but has a huge community and uses many of the same programming skills needed to do WordPress site development.

wordpress so easy to hack and als all most WordPress plugins are developed specifically for blog-type websites

but joomla is best for news and portal and big website and also designed to be a lot more versatile and offers quite a lot of versatility and freedom when it comes to design.

I would Recommend WordPress, because it has more plugins, themes and developers than Joomla. As a Developer I Love WordPress...! <3

[quote=“mk-sam, post:15, topic:20640”]

I would Recommend WordPress, because it has more plugins, themes and developers than Joomla. As a Developer I Love WordPress...! <3

[/quote]

i think joomls have more extension other CMS yah the neture of wordpress extension is so sample as well as for blogs but joomlaextensions available that add great functionality to WordPress

[quote=“mehrdad, post:16, topic:20640”]

i think joomls have more extension other CMS yah the neture of wordpress extension is so sample as well as for blogs but joomlaextensions available that add great functionality to WordPress

[/quote]

But joomla has much more security Issues, it's been 3 yrs I have been developing WordPress sites and I haven'y got a single site hacked or any of my client complained pe for it. But joomla's security is much more distrubed many of joomla users are transfering their sites/blogs to wordpress or any other CMS.

wordpress is win win software

I can understand why someone would choose WP for a small site and it's probably a little easier to administrate than Joomla. But i've always preferred Joomla to WP or other CMS, mostly because i've used it more. Joomla is very good, there's a lot of great free and commercial extensions available, pretty steap learning curve for an administrator though. Drupal is also a great platform to create complex sites, but I'm not a fan of it just because I don't wanna learn another system. Joomla meets all my current requirements. I don't think there's a "best one" of them.... it depends on your goal and technical expertise. There are some useful resources which can help you have a right choice when choosing your needed CMS. I recommend two pages providing a comparison chart of WordPress, Joomla and Drupal: WordPress vs Joomla vs Drupal and Comparison of WP, Joomla and Drupal. Both present the information in an easy-to-understand format. Besides the three mentioned programs and before making your final decesion I also recommend to consider other content manageent systems. A full list of them is available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_content_management_systems. But the most popular ones are presented on http://www.simplescripts.com/script_list. Platforms on SimpleScripts are categorized and this helps you make your decesion more easily.

I think word press more popular now, and a lot of websites specially blogging and news websites use word press for publishing posts. Its also so easy and helpful for unprofessional admins.