[ISB] Metro Bus Project + PTCL landline numbers

Got a notice from PTCL some time back. PTCL is moving customers in Islamabad to its fiber network citing Metro Bus service's construction affecting their infrastructure. This has resulted in forceful and undesired changing of landline numbers permanently with no recourse for the customer.

PTCL is only offering one free month of call forwarding from the old number to the new one.

This is such a hassle. With mobile phones and Nayatel services available, is there any point to having a PTCL landline number anymore?

/rant

Only if the change is temporary & if the fiber network is a proven inferior technology to copper or whatever the existing infrastructure people of ISB have from PTCL.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
This is such a hassle. With mobile phones and Nayatel services available, is there any point to having a PTCL landline number anymore?
[/quote]

Yes but only to those who don't own cellpohones & nayatel services altogether. and to those I would suggest em to take this hassle as a "once in lifetime" chance of improvement to lessen the future QoS problems from ptcl cause this change might not have been possible for the citizens if ISB if it wasn't for the metro-bus project & perhaps to buy cheap cellphone just in case ... :)

And for the sake of argument, nayatel isn't immune to the side effects of metro-bus project either are clearly evident.

So in the presence of cellphone & PTCL (changes in landline numbers is not same as having no service at all specially when PTCL is offering call forwarding service for a month for free) services available is there any point of having nayatel services? specially when sometimes micronet/naytel actually has to rely on PTCL's infrastructure for the provision of some of it services to the customer in some parts where nayatel being a city specific ISP (RWP/ISB to be precise), doesn't even has its own infrastructure in its very own operating city(ies).

[quote=“Faisal, post:2, topic:21134”]

Only if the change is temporary & if the fiber network is a proven inferior technology to copper or whatever the existing infrastructure people of ISB have from PTCL.

[/quote]

It isn't temporary which is what is so irritating.

Yes but only to those who don't own cellpohones & nayatel services altogether. and to those I would suggest em to take this hassle as a "once in lifetime" chance of improvement to lessen the future QoS problems from ptcl cause this change might not have been possible for the citizens if ISB if it wasn't for the metro-bus project & perhaps to buy cheap cellphone just in case ... :)

[/quote]

Having Nayatel is just the icing. Just mobile phones would be sufficient for calling/texting and for internet too (internet with 3G/4G deployment or else there are numerous Wimax or EVO services could be used too).

A couple years back, I had the misfortune of using internet on PTCL fiber/ONU network for two months. Internet worked less than 40% of the time despite numerous complaints being lodged, which were all unsuccessful. Left it for Nayatel and haven't looked back since.

And for the sake of argument, nayatel isn't immune to the side effects of metro-bus project either are clearly evident.

[/quote]

Nayatel isn't immune but their numbers don't change after 3-6 hours downtime post-transition to alternative fiber.

So in the presence of cellphone & PTCL (changes in landline numbers is not same as having no service at all specially when PTCL is offering call forwarding service for a month for free) services available is there any point of having nayatel services?

[/quote]

By that logic what is the point of having PTCL if one has cell phone services? :):lol:

specially when sometimes micronet/naytel actually has to rely on PTCL's infrastructure for the provision of some of it services to the customer in some parts where nayatel being a city specific ISP (RWP/ISB to be precise), doesn't even has its own infrastructure in its very own operating city(ies).

[/quote]

Micronet relies on PTCL's copper but NTL has its own fiber infrastructure independent of PTCL. AFAIK, PTCL and TW1 only provide back-end connectivity to the internet. Nayatel still has lots of places where it needs to extend coverage within Islamabad/Rawalpindi but it works better than PTCL where it is available.

[quote=“Asad, post:3, topic:21134”]

It isn't temporary which is what is so irritating.

[/quote]

So considering better QoS after the change in infrastructure, change in the number shouldn't matter unless you're an old folk (which I know you're not) or have old folks at home/family just like I have who are used to of PTCL since GOD knows when mainly because they prefer punching in a 7 digit number instead of 11 and talk for hours ... cause PTCL to PTCL is comparatively very cheap and is nation wide.

So I would even let my 40 year old number change in heartbeat just because of additional/bundled features I can have just because of better landline which may not be possible in most cases on existing infrastructure. and since your using nayatel for some time now I am sure you have better idea what I am trying to say here...

Having Nayatel is just the icing. Just mobile phones would be sufficient for calling/texting and for internet too (internet with 3G/4G deployment or else there are numerous Wimax or EVO services could be used too).

A couple years back, I had the misfortune of using internet on PTCL fiber/ONU network for two months. Internet worked less than 40% of the time despite numerous complaints being lodged, which were all unsuccessful. Left it for Nayatel and haven't looked back since.
[/quote]

Good for you but perhaps now you actually have something to look back to, comapre two telcos/ISPs side by side after PTCL is done with upgrade for services, rates, quotas & quality... :)

Nayatel isn't immune but their numbers don't change after 3-6 hours downtime post-transition to alternative fiber.

[/quote]

True but isn't the whole point of making this thread? PTCL numbers don't change either cause that requires an upgrade on a massive scale to which, I am sorry to say, nayatel no matter how advanced then PTCL, can't compete. So I would consider metro-bus project a blessing in disguise which let PTCL to think "oh, our services are interrupted anyway from the project, why not upgrade it in the meanwhile...." :D

By that logic what is the point of having PTCL if one has cell phone services? :):lol:

[/quote]

In fact, by that logic whats the point of having ANY landline number if one has a cellphone with single purpose in mind i.e. making/receiving calls & doesn't need a hard line internet and/or TV service etc ;)

Micronet relies on PTCL's copper but NTL has its own fiber infrastructure independent of PTCL. AFAIK, PTCL and TW1 only provide back-end connectivity to the internet. Nayatel still has lots of places where it needs to extend coverage within Islamabad/Rawalpindi but it works better than PTCL where it is available.

[/quote]

Thank you for proving my point :)

Lastly, I know PTCL doesn't hold any position among your ranks so how bad the change could be? it can't be worse then it already is unless you mistook "downgrade" for an "upgrade" :D

[quote=“Faisal, post:4, topic:21134”]

So considering better QoS after the change in infrastructure,

[/quote]

QoS wasn't better as mentioned from personal experience. First impressions and all...

cause PTCL to PTCL is comparatively very cheap and is nation wide.

[/quote]

Yup, the various PTCL packages are cheap. VoIP is cheaper and worldwide. :P:)

and since your using nayatel for some time now I am sure you have better idea what I am trying to say here...

[/quote]

Sour grapes for being out of NTL coverage and having no other options except PTCL? :D

True but isn't the whole point of making this thread?

[/quote]

No, the point was to rant about forceful unwelcome conversion to a new number. :)

Thank you for proving my point :)

[/quote]

Not really. Reread your post. Your point was very different. Even if PTCL goes down, NTL's internet would still work on TW1 as has happened in the past with cable cuts, etc. Micronet (which I wasn't even talking about originally) has to rely on PTCL copper, like all other ISPs providing DSL services, for the last mile but not NTL. NTL doesn't use PTCL's copper.

Same thing happened in Lahore during the construction of a highway. You are lucky to get one month call forwarding, in my case the old number just keep ringing and no answer.

[quote=“Asad, post:5, topic:21134”]

QoS wasn't better as mentioned from personal experience. First impressions and all...

[/quote]

I'd like to hear about it :D

QoS or not I know how to get things done when it comes to PTCL besides, politeness is my weakness & can be used against me so I like PTCL's QoS. Makes easier for me to deal with em... ;)

Yup, the various PTCL packages are cheap. VoIP is cheaper and worldwide.

[/quote]

Oh.... :o well, still ain't my loss :lol:

Sour grapes for being out of NTL coverage and having no other options except PTCL?

[/quote]

On the contrary, but you're more then welcome to try my vineyard cause I get my sweet grapes at 7rs/GB on paper and trust me its 50% more cheaper actually + I can have my grapes any time.... don't have to wait for the sun to go down :P

No, the point was to rant about forceful unwelcome conversion to a new number.

[/quote]

Well, rant on brother. Number to her sorat main change ho ker hi rahay ga :lol:

Not really. Reread your post. Your point was very different. Even if PTCL goes down, NTL's internet would still work on TW1 as has happened in the past with cable cuts, etc. Micronet (which I wasn't even talking about originally) has to rely on PTCL copper, like all other ISPs providing DSL services, for the last mile but not NTL. NTL doesn't use PTCL's copper.

[/quote]

As if TW1 is God send but anyways my point was dependency which, again, thank you for proving my point ... cause even if I put PTCL & TW1 out of the equation and assume nayatel is fully autonomous and everything, jangla bus ne phir bhi nayatel ki fiberen phaarh hi deen na :lol:

Bad things happens. sometime you can do something about them, sometimes you can't... but what can you do all the time is to acknowledge the fact ;)

Wow. What intellectual discourse.

Without saying much else, in with Nayatel. Their QoS is much better IN MY EXPERIENCE, but their customer services trumps it all. They may not be that cheap, but THEY WORK.

Okthanksbye

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Edit: grammar

^

Who said they don't work? but I am sure the kind of money you throw at them they'd be happy to...

[quote=", post:, topic:"]iSUSiQr.gif[/quote]

but the one thing they can't beat is this.... which IMHO trumps every other ISP in PK fullsthap

[/quote]

[quote=“Faisal, post:9, topic:21134”]

^

Who said they don't work? but I am sure the kind of money you throw at them they'd be happy to...

iSUSiQr.gif[/quote]

but the one thing they can't beat is this.... which IMHO trumps every other ISP in PK fullsthap

[/quote]

Uhh - aren't we talking about PTCL's antics? That's what I recall... I don't recall talking about downloads and what-not, nor do I recall giving money to them and making our ISPs like... (refer to the first picture).

But since you brought up the topic, I suppose you don't pay your usage's worth. Guess that makes you a free-rider (by paying less and getting more) and that potentially makes you a pirate...

Jokes aside, you really can't compare the biggest ISP (quality or no quality) with a small-scale operator, can you? If one option works fine for somebody, great! For the others, we just have a better experience with another ISP. No need to get personal.

[quote=“shaheerk, post:10, topic:21134”]

Uhh - aren't we talking about PTCL's antics? That's what I recall... I don't recall talking about downloads and what-not, nor do I recall giving money to them and making our ISPs like... (refer to the first picture).

But since you brought up the topic, I suppose you don't pay your usage's worth. Guess that makes you a free-rider (by paying less and getting more) and that potentially makes you a pirate...

Jokes aside, you really can't compare the biggest ISP (quality or no quality) with a small-scale operator, can you? If one option works fine for somebody, great! For the others, we just have a better experience with another ISP. No need to get personal.

[/quote]

PTCL's antics? no You & I were not talking about that just like I have never said anywhere xyz ISP doesn't work & just like I never said you give away money to make your ISP do... (that pic) read it again.

I pay exactly as per my usages worth which of course, is not defined by me but PTCL and if I cross the limit I have to pay for it & I have paid once. and what you saw in the stat pic is 100% true and PTCL doesn't seem to mind that cause PTCL has been offering internet without FUP in the past. Its just that because of these small-time ISPs, PTCL had to implement FUP so they can do "bidness" as well. So NO, that doesn't make me a free-loader or a pirate but it does makes you an ignorant ..... of the fact :P

But seriously, I know there is no comparison of a small and a large entity and frankly its the scale which lets you have better QoS or CS from your small ISP but not the usage quota & vice versa for me from PTCL. So yeah nobody here is pushing somebody to experience what they don't want to experience oh and stop pretending that I am getting personal with you over an ISPs cause TBH, 1) you or your ISP or mine ain't worth it 2) you're still oblivious to 'IMHO' 3) its a public internet forum and every member has right to respond in any given topic with their opinion under forum rules 4) There's a report button if you still think otherwise ;)

Me I would stop replying or rather not start at all then to say "no need to get personal". :P