Is Wateen going to disconnect their services?

I heard wateen sell their shares in stock and they are doing to wind up soon. Is this true?

Where did you hear about it?

I am unaware about it.

yes i heard that too PLUS they are not providing new connections and / or they are not entertaining old customers complaints regarding devices !!

The likelihood of Wateen Telecom winding up all of its operatios are slim to none for the foreseable future. Apart from the fact that they own and operate the largest dark fibre in the country, they got a 23 year fibre lease contract from Zong and a 3 year agreement for redundency network for State bank of Pakistan last year, among other contracts to corporate and enterprise customers they serve.

As far as their WiMax division goes, you guys should know already that they have sold/discontinued that department from their main business, and consolidated with Qubee to create another entitiy called "Wateen WiMax limited". This seems to be a beneficial step for their parent company because WiMax sector was continually going in the red for them (see their financial statements of past years). What it means for the end home consumer of Wateen WIMax is that they will be migrated to the upgraded Qubee towers, while a few of Wateen's old towers will still be operational, for the time being at least. Though even then, the backhaul IP routing and VOIP was still being handled by Wateen, last to my experience.

Can't say anything about them not taking any new orders, but last I tried to file a complaint 20 days ago, I didn't have any issues with that process.

You can still order online at

http://www.wateen.com/internet-packages/

If it is really true it is very sad news because I have been using Wateen for the last 4-5 years and am very happy with their service.

I don't know if Qubee is also very good and we will not see any difference in service quality after they have sold the business and switch us to Qubee?

[quote=“jani, post:6, topic:21924”]

I don't know if Qubee is also very good and we will not see any difference in service quality after they have sold the business and switch us to Qubee?

[/quote]

The consolidation process, as they have been referring to the merger, has already been completed for the most part. Considering that they separated selfcare to "wateenwimax.com" and not simply to Qubee, I doubt that the "Wateen WiMax Limited" entity would be dissolving as well. And I forgot to mention about the shares part, but if the OP meant Wateen is delisting from Stock Markets, they already did that a year back.

You can check if you are still on Wateen's towers or Qubee's if your CPE's configuration page has a WiMax status feature, which either lists the Channel Bandwidth (7Mhz for Wateen, 10Mhz for Qubee) or Channel Frequency. If the frequency (in Khz) is not 3504500, 3511500, 3518500, 3525500, 3532500, 3553500 3546500, 3560500, 3567500 or 3574500, then you are most likely now on Qubee tower.

Alternatively, if you previously had noted down the BSIDs of the sectors/towers you ususally got connected to and they have changed, then that will also indicate the migration. They have not, and hopefully won't take down all of their Base stations where they have enough users, so you might still be on Wateen.

Asad, so shud i order QuBee connection directly???????

what is the difference in getting qubee connection by calling them and using wateen/qubee thing???

I mean why have wateen as middle man than?

In my area they disconnect their booster and since +1month i am in terrible state also they said they will not help me. And I can discontinue their services bcoz issue is as it is.

Current wateen tower is +1 kilometer from my location and i had hard time in 1 month :(

Dont know what to do as PTCL i had tested several times and now they are mosttttttttt horrible company i ever seen in terms of service quality and support. :(

[quote=“Asad-Ahmad, post:7, topic:21924”]

You can check if you are still on Wateen's towers or Qubee's if your CPE's configuration page has a WiMax status feature, which either lists the Channel Bandwidth (7Mhz for Wateen, 10Mhz for Qubee) or Channel Frequency. If the frequency (in Khz) is not 3504500, 3511500, 3518500, 3525500, 3532500, 3553500 3546500, 3560500, 3567500 or 3574500, then you are most likely now on Qubee tower.

Alternatively, if you previously had noted down the BSIDs of the sectors/towers you ususally got connected to and they have changed, then that will also indicate the migration. They have not, and hopefully won't take down all of their Base stations where they have enough users, so you might still be on Wateen.

[/quote]

How do you know all this? I mean are you in touch with any employee of Wateen or you read it somewhere?

Also from where you're seeing those 7Mhz or 10Mhz thing because on my selfcare.wateenwimax.com page I don't see any info like that.

[quote=“zainabali, post:8, topic:21924”]

Asad, so shud i order QuBee connection directly???????

what is the difference in getting qubee connection by calling them and using wateen/qubee thing???

[/quote]

Qubee and Wateen WiMax have different packages and Fair usage policies (Wateen is much better in this regard IMO). Apart from this, as some members have postulated in one of the Qubee threads mentioning their upgrade to 10MHz, they will be offering higher speeds soon. I am not sure if Wateen will also be offering new connections, but if the consolidated company brings in more revenue, then I am guessing they will be upgrading further to a combined WiMax + LTE framework like Huawei's SingleRAN.

If you already had Wateen's connection, and after change to Qubee's tower your service quality has degraded, I am afraid there isn't much you can do. If there is still some operational Wateen tower serving your area, then you can try and file a complaint with them requesting to revert you back to the old tower. Otherwise if you don't have alternatives, you can get an external directional antenna or the outdoor CPE to get better signals.

Coming to what is the difference between Qubee and Wateen WiMax apart from the technical side of stuff so far, you can read this relevant part from Wateen's Financial Report:

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
During the year, Wateen Telecom Limited and Augere Holdings BV entered in to a Master Transaction Agreement (MTA)

for consolidation of their respective WiMAX businesses.

Pursuant to the aforesaid agreement, the Company plans to transfer its WiMAX related assets and associated

liabilities envisaged under MTA to the new company Wateen WiMAX (Private) Limited (WWL) in exchange of fully

paid ordinary shares. WWL will also acquire the 100% shares of Augere Pakistan (Private) Limited from its parent

company Augere Holdings (Netherlands) BV (Augere Holdings) in consideration of issuance of own shares.

Further, Augere Holdings will hold 51% shares and the Company will hold 49% shares in the new jointly owned

operating company.

[/quote]

[quote="jani, post:9, topic:21924"]

How do you know all this? I mean are you in touch with any employee of Wateen or you read it somewhere?

Also from where you're seeing those 7Mhz or 10Mhz thing because on my selfcare.wateenwimax.com page I don't see any info like that.

[/quote]

Research and deduction, for the most part, for my own curiosity. The list of frequencies you can note (from CPE's config page) when your device is trying to connect, as it cycles through them one by one if it can't find a signal. One way to see that Wateen uses 7Mhz and Qubee now uses 10Mhz is note down the gap between two neighbour frequencies. Eg: 3518500 - 3511500 = 7000 Khz/7Mhz, and Qubee's 3451750 - 3441750 = 10000Khz/10Mhz. It was also mentioned by Asad in post

Wateen complain i filed, which was resolved after 25 days.

I heard wateen support guy was saying over call that if he put me on qubee server its value goes more bad.

I have wateen outdoor device which is on my roof. What is this "WiMax + LTE framework" ?

If you already had Wateen's connection, and after change to Qubee's tower your service quality has degraded, I am afraid there isn't much you can d

it didn't helped as i mentioned above so does this mean that if i order Qubee services then it will also not work?

You seem a networking guy, can you suggest me some other ISP options. I have to study and work online and i have very bad experiences with PTCL broadband 2 times i paid them with hand to get rid of them because of their customer care services.... they make u cry. :(

[quote="Asad-Ahmad, post:10, topic:21924"]

Qubee and Wateen WiMax have different packages and Fair usage policies (Wateen is much better in this regard IMO). Apart from this, as some members have postulated in one of the Qubee threads mentioning their upgrade to 10MHz, they will be offering higher speeds soon. I am not sure if Wateen will also be offering new connections, but if the consolidated company brings in more revenue, then I am guessing they will be upgrading further to a combined WiMax + LTE framework like Huawei's SingleRAN.

If you already had Wateen's connection, and after change to Qubee's tower your service quality has degraded, I am afraid there isn't much you can do. If there is still some operational Wateen tower serving your area, then you can try and file a complaint with them requesting to revert you back to the old tower. Otherwise if you don't have alternatives, you can get an external directional antenna or the outdoor CPE to get better signals.

Coming to what is the difference between Qubee and Wateen WiMax apart from the technical side of stuff so far, you can read this relevant part from Wateen's Financial Report:

Research and deduction, for the most part, for my own curiosity. The list of frequencies you can note (from CPE's config page) when your device is trying to connect, as it cycles through them one by one if it can't find a signal. One way to see that Wateen uses 7Mhz and Qubee now uses 10Mhz is note down the gap between two neighbour frequencies. Eg: 3518500 - 3511500 = 7000 Khz/7Mhz, and Qubee's 3451750 - 3441750 = 10000Khz/10Mhz. It was also mentioned by Asad in post

[/quote]

Some more info http://propakistani.pk/2015/02/23/wateen-and-qubee-starts-implementing-merged-wimax-network/

Wateen offers "unlimited" (or 1000GB) data limit per month but if you look at Qubee's packages, they are not offering unlimited data but just 20GB.

Those users who switch from Wateen towers to Qubee's, will they still get unlimited download or they will be downgraded to 20GB?

[quote=“zainabali, post:11, topic:21924”]

Wateen complain i filed, which was resolved after 25 days.

I heard wateen support guy was saying over call that if he put me on qubee server its value goes more bad.

I have wateen outdoor device which is on my roof. What is this "WiMax + LTE framework" ?

If you already had Wateen's connection, and after change to Qubee's tower your service quality has degraded, I am afraid there isn't much you can d

it didn't helped as i mentioned above so does this mean that if i order Qubee services then it will also not work?

You seem a networking guy, can you suggest me some other ISP options. I have to study and work online and i have very bad experiences with PTCL broadband 2 times i paid them with hand to get rid of them because of their customer care services.... they make u cry. :(

[/quote]

I am guessing that because of the complaints of signals caused by this reconfiguration, they aren't able to resolve complaints soon. If you don't get any reply or response from them in the timeframe they prescribed, file one at PTA and/or email Wateen referencing that you have also contacted PTA.

The CSR probably said that because the Qubee tower had saturated users already or it was at a greater distance from your location. Are you currently on Wateen's tower or Qubee? Have you tried changing the direction of the outdoor device? You can try and coax it out of them if your older tower is still operational, and if it is, ask them to revert your device back. Alternatively, you can see if you can get connected to another of Qubee's tower, or different sector of the current one (check with helpline to see if another sector of your current site has less load). If you are unable to get any signals when your device is reconfigured for Qubee's frequencies, even with rotating the CPE, you most likely won't be getting any signals if you got a new Qubee connection either.

With the external directional antenna I have been using, I could get signals from at least 5 different towers and 11 of their sectors, and camped on the one with least number of users. During this process however, I had noted down all of the details of the sectors (BSID, frequency, direction, address as told by CSR etc) for future reference. If you have any such information yourself, it will be helpful now. I only have personal experience with PTCL and Wateen. The former tends to be more arrogant to consumers because they are effectively a monopoly, and their service is bad to appaling in my and few friends' experiences. If you don't require large data caps, you can look at WiTribe or Worldcall, but their speeds will depend on how many users they have in your area. But if you need, and were already on an unlimited package on Wateen, then you can try to find out how many of their old towers they still have operational in your city, and then see if one of them is near enough for you to access it with an external antenna. A somewhat hassle and long procedure I am afraid.

WiMax + LTE is something different telecom companies (AirSpan, Huawei etc) are offering to providers who already have WiMax infrastructure and towers, but intend to upgrade to LTE in future.

[quote="forum, post:12, topic:21924"]

Some more info http://propakistani.pk/2015/02/23/wateen-and-qubee-starts-implementing-merged-wimax-network/

[/quote]

Apart from the "NewCo" name, which is just a general name used for merging/subsidiary companies, they just skimmed the info from this topic it seems.

[quote="jani, post:13, topic:21924"]

Wateen offers "unlimited" (or 1000GB) data limit per month but if you look at Qubee's packages, they are not offering unlimited data but just 20GB.

Those users who switch from Wateen towers to Qubee's, will they still get unlimited download or they will be downgraded to 20GB?

[/quote]

Yes, as far as I know. Last to my experience, the Wateen customers who were migrated to Qubee (now Wateen WiMax Limited) towers were still being given Wateen's IPs and were routed through their network. Which I suppose was the whole reason for their "network reconfiguration" exercie in december.

[quote=“Asad-Ahmad, post:14, topic:21924”]

Yes, as far as I know. Last to my experience, the Wateen customers who were migrated to Qubee (now Wateen WiMax Limited) towers were still being given Wateen's IPs and were routed through their network. Which I suppose was the whole reason for their "network reconfiguration" exercie in december.

[/quote]

So the era of "unlimited downloads" is going to end now? because other than Wateen no other company is offering unlimited downloads :(

I know 20 - 30GB of data is more than enough for majority of home users but still there should be room for more data.

[quote=“jani, post:15, topic:21924”]

So the era of "unlimited downloads" is going to end now? because other than Wateen no other company is offering unlimited downloads :(

I know 20 - 30GB of data is more than enough for majority of home users but still there should be room for more data.

[/quote]

In less than 8000 a month, apart from Wateen and Nayatel's night unlimited (and maybe a few regional ISPs in Karachi),I am afraid this has been the case for a long time. When uninformed customers are lured to false marketing like PTCL's EVDO "unlimted" BS and competition is driven out, this is the eventual result.

BTW as of right now, Wateen is still offerring their packages with 1000GB FUP to new customers.

@jani: Qubee also has 2MB/70GB package with free Wifi router. Also, the 3+1 offer (pay for three months, get the fourth month free) sweetens the deal a bit.

So long as you get a device which can maintain a good link and the tower isn't saturated, the connection is pretty stable and you can get consistent throughput.

i believe, PTCL offer unlimited download to their broadband landline user.

Asad i already filed complained to PTA and after several attempts with PTA complain system wateen responded me and this is all they told me... use if u wish to use and u will face problem maybe no signal in future this is up to u if u want to continue or discontinue. your area tower is removed. :(

I want some unlimited but reliable solution which i can user years and years, i hate running behind these ISP guys to fix the issue

[quote=“Asad, post:17, topic:21924”]

@jani: Qubee also has 2MB/70GB package with free Wifi router.

[/quote]

Where is that package mentioned on their site?