Is Ubuntu Linux really for beginners?

aoa,

Iam new in Linux and for it iam using Damn small linux live cd.It has all features and can easily run even in 486 comoputer.Well as people says that Ubuntu Linux is for beginners so i suggest or for own opinion t use DSL which is light and no need to do any installation.

What u say about ubuntu, can a new person use it easily...?If we want to use GUI mode then i think Windows is good but for linux envioroment i think command mode is much reliable and it is easy to troubleshoot.So for that my vote is to live cd. Is there any live cd of unbunto as well?

2-What u say about Microsoft windows server 2008 as compaired to Red Hat linux. Is windows is now more reliable and has stronge security permission?

thanks in advance for your guidence.

Yaaar honestly I find Ubuntu pretty difficult for begginers. As half of the world wont know how to use terminal commands. I mean for little changes you have to use terminal command :(

it is veryyyyyyyyyyyy NON user friendly

u will have to set each and evry parameter ur self.....

even your hards drives wont show if u dont first mount them and blah blah......

yes my own same experience as well so i don't know why people said that use Ubuntu.it is easy and especially for beginners.I think live cds are much batter or switch to Fedora smile*.

Linux is not for beginners. You need to have some basic idea about computer architecture and how various components and peripherals work. You will also need a lot of time to troubleshoot various issues. For the advanced user, it offers many customizable features not directly found in Windows unless you use third-party software.

Live CDs are ok for demonstration. You can use internet, etc using Ubuntu Live CD. I would suggest you use it yourself to see if it suits your purpose or not.

^ agreed with Asad linux isnt an alternative OS its an OS which the demands of a specific niche of computer users

Well Asad thanks for your kind reply. Iam working in windows server 2000 and 2003 as well in networking side for the last 6 years.I want to switch to linux and for that iam learning the UNIX/Linux basic commands .In other words iam working on RH 033 .

In Linux side iam completely new so i take live CD and it is helping me a lot at the moment. I have also worked a bit on RH 9 especially in command line but with live cd it is easy to run anyware.

I myself manage a small Win2K3 network. I also looked at RH 4 EE AS some time back but found it rather lacking. For small networks, Windows Server is the way to go for best compatibility and ease of troubleshooting since the majority of client PCs use or will use Windows XP/Vista OS.

If it is an individual server like web, smtp or proxy, etc, you can go for Linux to provide those specific targeted services.

Well , if we are just comparing the LINUX distros then .

In my use Ubuntu is Debian Based OS , and Debian is much harder then fedora or rhel base linux distors

i Suggest u to use , Cent OS , fedora , rhel , they all have same types and same packges style like yum etc

'Hard' is a very relative term, the definition of which changes from person to person. As long as you have a learning attitude and are willing to put in a bit of effort to do things the non-Microsoft way, then Linux would be very rewarding for you as you'll realize its power as you get used to it. If you want an OS which is limited but is a no-brainer to setup then stick with Windows, cause Linux is just not worth your time.

Having said that, Linux distros are progressing at a remarkable speed and each new release is easier to setup and use. So I would encourage everyone to keep an open mind and try to keep up with changes. For example, Shoukat must have used linux ages ago (if ever) when his hard drive would need to be mounted manually. Nowadays, most hardware is recognized and installed automatically, and Ubuntu also recognizes your NTFS partition and displays it, to which you can easily read/write.

^ You still need to do stuff manually with RHEL EE. But that is because they are targeted at the server market and not the consumer market.

It's best to try out a Live CD to see if Linux suits you.

Not everyone can work around Windows 2003. They have learn it first, the same works for Ubuntu or other linux distros. Linux isn't hard to learn, you just have to give it time.

if a person is using an OS for net surfin and watchin movies then go for linux. (Linux Mint)

If for gaming then Windows. (Win XP Pro SP3)

if for servers then its according to the softwares that you will use in your network.

Also remember that Pirated softwares are haram in all religions. If you do have the means then buy it otherwise just go for the free solutions.