Is there any way to block a specific site on PC?

Asslam.o.alaikum,

I want to ask, is there any way to block a specific site on PC? I have tried hosts, adding 127.0.0.1 facebook.com but it didn't work. One can block it using extensions different browsers have, but i want a way by which i can block the site on every browser.

Thanks and regards.

You should add both 127.0.0.1 facebook.com AND 127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com

[quote=“SupMA5TER, post:2, topic:20706”]

You should add both 127.0.0.1 facebook.com AND 127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com

[/quote]

tried it also, but didn't work

Changes to hosts file take some time to be recognized by browsers, especially if you had visited the site minutes before the change. You should close the browser, flush the dns cache OR simply restart after saving hosts file to see if it is really working or not.

[quote=“SupMA5TER, post:4, topic:20706”]

Changes to hosts file take some time to be recognized by browsers, especially if you had visited the site minutes before the change. You should close the browser, flush the dns cache OR simply restart after saving hosts file to see if it is really working or not.

[/quote]

Tried this method. it didn't work also. i added two sites like tune.pk etc which i could not access after adding them to hosts file. Then i added 2 more sites google.com.pk and facebook.com then i exited from browser restarted my Pc. These sites worked rightly. I think the sites which have their own dedicated servers can not be blocked using hosts file or 127.0.0.1 method.

a while earlier, I used opendns.com to block specific sites.

All u have to do is to create account there and put the specified sites in it.

and after that use opendns.com dns in your router.

Send me your host file. I just checked and adding them to my hosts and blocked them fine.

[quote=“hmdrdi, post:5, topic:20706”]

I think the sites which have their own dedicated servers can not be blocked using hosts file or 127.0.0.1 method.

[/quote]

That's not how it works. So dedicated server or not, they must get blocked if added to hosts.

Block using this tool

http://techgulf.blogspot.com/2012/05/website-blocker-c.html

[quote=“SupMA5TER, post:7, topic:20706”]

Send me your host file. I just checked and adding them to my hosts and blocked them fine.

[/quote]

how can i send u hosts file??

Try k9 web protection.

good

good

Most antivirus software have this feature.

@hmdrdi! Your best bet is to block your concerned website using your Modem. Roam around your modem settings page.

SMTAQi i worked on your link and it really works great.. Thanks