Is there any duty if u buy a laptop from abroad

im looking to buy a laptop from US. well , a friend in US have bought it for me and he'll send me via DHL. i need to know if there is any duty on one laptop so that i could tell him to show the price on documents accordingly.

Yes there is duty and they charge lot of money. I imported a $650 value laptop and paid $200 to customs and airport authorities.

if you unpack the laptop and bring it within your luggage or hand carry no duty is charged.

if u r bringing with ur self theres no duties charge 2 laptops are allowed or via any courier service theres a diffrent scene have to pay duty.

everyone should know any product which is related to IT has only 6% duty on it not more not less how come you paid 200 $ on 650 $ laptop you are suppose to pay only 39 $ you can claim it back if you can fight legally with them

cheers

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

everyone should know any product which is related to IT has only 6% duty on it not more not less how come you paid 200 $ on 650 $ laptop you are suppose to pay only 39 $ you can claim it back if you can fight legally with them

cheers

[/quote]

Legally, the custom officer is allowed to assess (guess) the price of item as he finds it. Otherwise people will claim that they bought it for “special discount sale” for only $100 or something like that :)

6% is very tempting, i doubt it is true otherwise no one would have been buying from local market at around 200$ more than the US listed price.

i bought one a couple of years ago via a friend in US. it was declared as used data processing machine and price was declared as $400.

however every thing that falls under data processing machine have a duty of 40%. so i ended up paying about $160 to dhl. however the actual price was $1500. so even with this mishap i saved about 40k had i bought it from here.

actual problem is if you are in hurry to have your item then u have to pay as they say what ever wrong or right value they put but if you have time to proof it through legal procedure then u can have the benefit fro example habib oil mills known as HOM have digital cabe tv system in Karachi they imported the whole system for 50 million rupees and the custom duty was imposed on this which is around 57 to 60 % they went to the court and proofed it its been used for IT or internet and they won the case and payed only 6 %

actual problem is if you are in hurry to have your item then u have to pay as they say what ever wrong or right value they put but if you have time to proof it through legal procedure then u can have the benefit fro example habib oil mills known as HOM have digital cabe tv system in Karachi they imported the whole system for 50 million rupees and the custom duty was imposed on this which is around 57 to 60 % they went to the court and proofed it its been used for IT or internet and they won the case and payed only 6 %
[/quote]

HOM can afford to go to ocurts for such huge inventory. How an individual can proceed with this?

Custom officials are fools. They urgently need technically competent assistance.

Interesting stuff. At FBR website, the Custom Duty for laptop/notebooks is 0%. WTF !!!!

8471.3010 - - - Laptop computers, notebooks whether or not incorporating multi media kit 0
[/quote]

reference:

http://www.fbr.gov.pk/newcu/TARIFF/2008/ch1-97.pdf

Page: 120

i bought one a couple of years ago via a friend in US. it was declared as used data processing machine and price was declared as $400.

however every thing that falls under data processing machine have a duty of 40%. so i ended up paying about $160 to dhl. however the actual price was $1500. so even with this mishap i saved about 40k had i bought it from here.

[/quote]

can you check your DHL invoice? They mention the title or charges. it shouldn’t be custom duty as custom duty is 0%.

The duty is still zero. I wonder if it will remain the same in the upcoming budget.

I just brought 3 laptops from the U.S. and I wasn't charged anything. Although, I should tell you that I had them in my carry-on bags. My brother in law brought with him a brand new laptop back when he came to Pakistan and later found his bag broken and the laptop was gone. They actually cut through the body of the bag to take out the laptop. So, it is ALWAYS nice to carry your most valueable stuff instead packing it.

Add 16% GST and 1% income tax to 0% custom duty.

Custom officials are fools. They urgently need technically competent assistance.
[/quote]

Absolutely…!

i don’t understand, GST is something you pay if something is bought from local business, so what it got to do with if somebody is getting a laptop from outside, and secondly income tax… WTF is that how this fits in here, ok i can understand if its charged on somebody’s earned income but in this scenario somebody is spending his own money money (which obviously has been taxed when it was earned). and thirdly only legitimate taxation for somebody importing/bringing laptop is custom duty which is already 0%.

wow man this is some really confusing #$%# dealing with backward ass bureaucracy of this country. UNBELIEVABLE

[/quote]

Welcome to the evil world of indirect-taxes. I have been literally shouting about it for years but nobody is interested to listen. :expressionless:

i don’t understand, GST is something you pay if something is bought from local business, so what it got to do with if somebody is getting a laptop from outside, and secondly income tax… WTF is that how this fits in here, ok i can understand if its charged on somebody’s earned income but in this scenario somebody is spending his own money money (which obviously has been taxed when it was earned). and thirdly only legitimate taxation for somebody importing/bringing laptop is custom duty which is already 0%.

wow man this is some really confusing shit dealing with backward ass bureaucracy of this country. UNBELIEVABLE

[/quote]

You are indignant over this. I have heard that the taxes on fuel include a tax for providing relief to Bangladesh flood victims and it hasn’t been removed since 1971 though I haven’t verified this myself. A verified tidbit is the charging of PTV license fees (who watches that crap anyway?) in WAPDA bill. I mean, WTF?

I have been paying “Advance Income Tax” on my Ufone Postpaid bill for many months now even though initially I didn’t have a job. :rolleyes:

The entirety of FBR from top to bottom is composed of, pardon the term, greedy bribe infested mofos. Apologies for offense, if any was incurred but that is the plain truth.

You are indignant over this. I have heard that the taxes on fuel include a tax for providing relief to Bangladesh flood victims and it hasn’t been removed since 1971 though I haven’t verified this myself.
[/quote]

Goddamn those bastar** who are still keeping that tax.

A verified tidbit is the charging of PTV license fees (who watches that crap anyway?) in WAPDA bill. I mean, WTF?
[/quote]

Known fact. PTV not only earn from advertising but also from “license fee”. “License fee” for having TV-set or similar device that can display audio/video through UHF/VHF signals. They have monopoly over it.

I have been paying “Advance Income Tax” on my Ufone Postpaid bill for many months now even though initially I didn’t have a job. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

There is Advance Income Tax (and withholding tax) on electricity bills, gas bills, telephone bills, checks above 25,000 and what-not. You can get refund or adjust them if you file your tax-return properly every year.

The entirety of FBR from top to bottom is composed of, pardon the term, greedy bribe infested mofos. Apologies for offense, if any was incurred but that is the plain truth.
[/quote]

Put in right words. :)