Is there any adjustable/Manual wet Battery charger?

Hi I'm from Lahore know if there is any local or imported wet battery charger which offer functions like
1-Manual Equalize charge
2-Adjustable Votage
3-Adjustable Current

And how much do they cost?

you're better off with a DC Powersupply rated at 20-50Amps , get one that is used for around 12-15k

if its adjustable voltage and adjustable amps, its a PSU more than a charger..you can manually adjust it to equalize battery..

i bought one from a reseller , ZTE PSU upto 62V and 50A... was a monster unit, sold it back to him when purpose was complete..there was a similiar seimens units as well....

but need to be very careful adjusting its power,, very small delicate switches.. a little bit here and there mis adjusted and you are looking at new battery buying..

therefore if going this manual route, get a HIGH END DC clamp multimeter like Uni-T203 or better

[quote=“djayz, post:2, topic:22280”]

you’re better off with a DC Powersupply rated at 20-50Amps , get one that is used for around 12-15k

[/quote]

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:3, topic:22280”]

if its adjustable voltage and adjustable amps, its a PSU more than a charger…you can manually adjust it to equalize battery…

i bought one from a reseller , ZTE PSU upto 62V and 50A… was a monster unit, sold it back to him when purpose was complete…there was a similiar seimens units as well…

but need to be very careful adjusting its power, very small delicate switches… a little bit here and there mis adjusted and you are looking at new battery buying…

therefore if going this manual route, get a HIGH END DC clamp multimeter like Uni-T203 or better

[/quote]

Don’t you guys have some cheap solution? I mean under Rs.5000? All I have to do is occasional equalization,

5amp variable power supply kit with transformer is around Rs.2500 in Lahore, Is it sufficient to equalize a 150amp battery ? To save time I will first charge battery using UPS and then connect it with Power supply kit for equalization? how about that?

there is also a fancy digital power supply available for Rs.5500

0-60V, 5A, Digital Variable Power Supply

to equalize a 150AH battery , single battery , you would need a PSU capable of 16V, 20 amp..for proper equalization as well as being able to charge it properly to peak level.

if 5amp costs 2500rs, the surely 20 amp,. or even 15 amp should cost 4k.. and this is for 12V... for 24V, or 48 which are more comon setups, you would need a bigger transformer and a much better circuit and then costs would automatically double..

and for a professional unit with 24 to 48 V adjustable, consider 20k to be a very minimal payment :) (for a good quality brand)

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:5, topic:22280”]

to equalize a 150AH battery , single battery , you would need a PSU capable of 16V, 20 amp…for proper equalization as well as being able to charge it properly to peak level.

if 5amp costs 2500rs, the surely 20 amp,. or even 15 amp should cost 4k… and this is for 12V… for 24V, or 48 which are more comon setups, you would need a bigger transformer and a much better circuit and then costs would automatically double…

and for a professional unit with 24 to 48 V adjustable, consider 20k to be a very minimal payment :) (for a good quality brand)

[/quote]

20amp for 150 AH :o what is the source of your info ? can you please share ? As far as I researched everywhere only voltage is mentioned (with of course reasonable amps but no mentioning of exact amps) At youtube a guy equalized 110AH battery with 16v 2 amp variable power supply (He didn’t mentioned time)

What do you mean by 'equalization'? Are you using a multi-battery configuration?

[quote=“Asad, post:7, topic:22280”]

What do you mean by ‘equalization’? Are you using a multi-battery configuration?

[/quote]

No you are confusing it with another type of charging performed in multi-battery configuration I’m talking about Equalizing a single battery

What is Equalizing Charge?
“Equalizing is an overcharge performed on flooded lead acid batteries after they have been fully charged. It reverses the buildup of negative chemical effects like stratification, a condition where acid concentration is greater at the bottom of the battery than at the top. Equalizing also helps to remove sulfate crystals that might have built up on the plates. If left unchecked, this condition, called sulfation, will reduce the overall capacity of the battery.

Many experts recommend that batteries be equalized periodically, ranging anywhere from once a month to once or twice per year.”

[quote=“noman89, post:6, topic:22280”]

20amp for 150 AH :o what is the source of your info ? can you please share ? As far as I researched everywhere only voltage is mentioned (with of course reasonable amps but no mentioning of exact amps) At youtube a guy equalized 110AH battery with 16v 2 amp variable power supply (He didn’t mentioned time)

[/quote]

the source of this info is NOT youtube… it is a decade of experience and reading electronics and electrical books and articles and actual practical research…

your last line describes your dilemma itself… time … charging at 5 amps for a dead 150ah battery may take upto 10 hours… depending on how much discharged the battery is…and its condition.

PS: along with majority of people, you are confused about how a charger and battery charging works… if you take c/10 value for a given battery for charging, then it doesnot mean you should charge a dry 100AH battery with a 10 amp charger exact…a healthy battery will only absorb what charge it needs even if you connect a 50 amp charger to it. on the other hand, a 10 amp charger working at full power for hours will have more chance to become damaged or burn out the charger itself due to overload/running at full capacity.

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:9, topic:22280”]

the source of this info is NOT youtube… it is a decade of experience and reading electronics and electrical books and articles and actual practical research…

your last line describes your dilemma itself… time … charging at 5 amps for a dead 150ah battery may take upto 10 hours… depending on how much discharged the battery is…and its condition.

PS: along with majority of people, you are confused about how a charger and battery charging works… if you take c/10 value for a given battery for charging, then it doesnot mean you should charge a dry 100AH battery with a 10 amp charger exact…a healthy battery will only absorb what charge it needs even if you connect a 50 amp charger to it. on the other hand, a 10 amp charger working at full power for hours will have more chance to become damaged or burn out the charger itself due to overload/running at full capacity.

[/quote]

Actually our real dilemma is we immediately become personnel the moment someone objects our “word of mouth” ,
you missed the point which I mentioned already that to save time I will first charge my battery using my automatic UPS (which means using high current up to 14.4v and during absorption stage current will already decreased to 1 amp) and then for overcharge it I will use 5 amp charger (theoretically it should work within an hour) even if it takes some more time this exercise is not what I’m going to do everyday, Though I’m not going to buy your suggested expensive equipment but thanks for whatever info you provided

I don’t have decades of experience like you but I do know after reading some battery related books articles and notes by battery manufacturers that high current during Equalize is bad for plates

@noman89, I had the same problem and the following is what I am doing.

I went to the market and bought a DC Power Supply for 1,300rs (the kind that are found in mobile repair shops). It is rated at 0v-15v and 2a. In reality it delivers a maximum of 15.9v. However, it would have been better if I could have found one that was rated at 0v-30v and 5a.

Next, I connected it to a battery and in two hours it was becoming extremely hot. So, I opened it up and placed an additional 12v adopter inside it to power a computer fan because, I did not want to share the 2a of the power supply with a fan!

Finally, I tried to equalize a 50ah battery with success as the specific gravity of each cell reached around 1.27, the process took 10-hours and now, I am equalizing a GX135 and expect the process to last 24-28 hours. In all the power supply has been preforming 30+hours of continues equalization service.

TBZCcv4

For the future, I plan on maintaining a new Volta tubular 200ah battery with this power supply and will try to revive a new narada 12ndf155 battery that lost its capacity within 4 months of use.

1 Like