Is nationwide INTRANET possible in current situation?

Just a thought.

Can an ISP or all ISPs of Pak launch a nationwide LAN connecting users of same/different ISPs ?

what would be required for that?

any technical reply?

First of all anything as large as a nationwide network would fall under the category of Wide Area Network or WAN.

Now there is something called the Pakistan Internet Exchange that is supposed to locally route data packets that have a source and destination in Pakistan. I think that is enough for local connectivity.

One problem is that even inside Pakistan the infrastructure is poor or too expensive. I think some companies like PTCL have a monopoly on Pakistani

infrastructure and they keep even domestic data transfer charges high.

However the larger problem is that most Internet users consume content that is hosted outside of Pakistan. There are no web hosting companies that provide hosting in Pakistan. So most Internet traffic flows outside of the country anyway.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

First of all anything as large as a nationwide network would fall under the category of Wide Area Network or WAN.

Now there is something called the Pakistan Internet Exchange that is supposed to locally route data packets that have a source and destination in Pakistan. I think that is enough for local connectivity.

One problem is that even inside Pakistan the infrastructure is poor or too expensive. I think some companies like PTCL have a monopoly on Pakistani

infrastructure and they keep even domestic data transfer charges high.

However the larger problem is that most Internet users consume content that is hosted outside of Pakistan. There are no web hosting companies that provide hosting in Pakistan. So most Internet traffic flows outside of the country anyway.

[/quote]

Data consumption outside Pk includes mainly email, messenger, streaming, video/audio/file download and surfing site.

A file which exist in WAN if available to share will come under “closest location” when a software is set according to it… so will fetch it from WAN instead of Extranet isn’t it?

WAN hosting can have nationwide and international access simultaneously? cant it?

Streaming will be cached so WAN will offer faster speed for the same streaming instead of fetching it from International route?

Streaming will be cached so WAN will offer faster speed for the same streaming instead of fetching it from International route?

[/quote]

I didn’t read all of your post in detail but to what you’ve stated here, there is a thing called a one-way satellite which caches as much of the internet as possible and when you access it, you download/browse at the maximum speed your LAN allows. Having said that, I don’t think it’s solution which would cater to your idea, mainly because its for home users/corporations

Just a thought.

Can an ISP or all ISPs of Pak launch a nationwide LAN connecting users of same/different ISPs ?

what would be required for that?

any technical reply?

[/quote]

Good idea…

This is not only possible - it is how it SHOULD be done.

It is because there is no collaboration between the ISPs that such a setup has not occurred.

I do not know enough about the specifics, but ISPs would be using PTCL services (fiber between cities etc. and for external to-from pakistan) as well as their own connections. This is evident from some ISPs showing ping to www.google.com going through PIE while some show it going directly to a singaporean provider.

For ISPs to route local traffic locally they would need to have interconnection agreements between themselves so that they can all agree to share local data. The routing stuff would then be trivial (for network people) once they have physical connections (that are all-local).

Once this is done, the ISP would recognize the IP address needs to be routed locally and would not incur international bandwidth - also the ping times (latency) would be drastically less.

As someone above suggested, PIE was supposed to be doing this (also they are doing a lot of other stuff - but mostly seem to be focused on blocking websites and all that kind of stuff - as usual the feudal mindset in pakistan - more interest in "control" than in providing facilities). Those ISPs who ARE using PIE maybe able to have PIE do this local routing, but I am not sure.

A test of that would be a ping to a friend of yours in another city (or even in the same using a different ISP). And you could check latency - if it is below latency to google.com etc. Or you could do a traceroute to www.google.com to see which machines the packet gets routed through:

tracert www.google.com

PIE seems to be such a thing

Theoretically... YES.....

Practically.... Never!

Reason 1 : Why would ISP's want their consumers to transfer files with each other or to other customers and keep on wasting bandwidth like that? They eventually have to fix it when large number of traffic is flowing & something goes wrong.

Reason 2 : Why on earth would you want LAN sharing at such level? It's very easy to spread a malicious code or virus like that.

Reason 3 : PTCL is one messed up organization which believe in JUGGA TAX System. Nobody can use their infrastructure without paying them.

Reason 4 : Read all three reasons before, and presumably, you won't be needing Reason 4

Pakistan Zindabad!

Theoretically… YES…

Practically… Never!

Reason 1 : Why would ISP’s want their consumers to transfer files with each other or to other customers and keep on wasting bandwidth like that? They eventually have to fix it when large number of traffic is flowing & something goes wrong.

Reason 2 : Why on earth would you want LAN sharing at such level? It’s very easy to spread a malicious code or virus like that.

Reason 3 : PTCL is one messed up organization which believe in JUGGA TAX System. Nobody can use their infrastructure without paying them.

Reason 4 : Read all three reasons before, and presumably, you won’t be needing Reason 4

Pakistan Zindabad!

[/quote]

seems u were in a hurry…

intranet does not use international bandwidth with in ISP. bandwidth cost is not a problem here.Rather it is the reverse once a file is in the ISP network, users shall not redownload same copy from international route.

Virus spread effects any pc unprotected o r not updated, it does not require intranet to spread.

Companies already utilize n pay PTCL to use their infrastructure, it wont be a new thing.

Wateen and Worldcall already have a nationwide fiber-optic backbone in place.

Wateen: http://www.pakworld.com/2005/01-10-2005/communication/page255.htm and http://www.wateen.com/CarriersOperators.aspx?CarriersTreeID=100

WorldCall: http://www.allbusiness.com/electronics/computer-electronics-manufacturing/7345403-1.html

seems u were in a hurry…

intranet does not use international bandwidth with in ISP. bandwidth cost is not a problem here.Rather it is the reverse once a file is in the ISP network, users shall not redownload same copy from international route.

Virus spread effects any pc unprotected o r not updated, it does not require intranet to spread.

Companies already utilize n pay PTCL to use their infrastructure, it wont be a new thing.

[/quote]

Give me one simple… Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery simply example of where Home users get Intranet features by ISP. This only happen on corporate level… and it’s called VPN!

and even if ur PC is protected, viruses still travel. New viruses always travel faster because their update always come later once they r identified.

and what the hell is International bandwidth??? I said their bandwidth. The link which is coming from exchange server to your DSL modem has a bandwidth limit. And that is what I was reffering to.

Wateen and Worldcall already have a nationwide fiber-optic backbone in place.

Wateen: http://www.pakworld.com/2005/01-10-2005/communication/page255.htm and http://www.wateen.com/CarriersOperators.aspx?CarriersTreeID=100

WorldCall: http://www.allbusiness.com/electronics/computer-electronics-manufacturing/7345403-1.html

[/quote]

And It’s Still not Intranet!!!Read the Topic!

Theoretically… YES…

Practically… Never!

Reason 1 : Why would ISP’s want their consumers to transfer files with each other or to other customers and keep on wasting bandwidth like that? They eventually have to fix it when large number of traffic is flowing & something goes wrong.

[/quote]

Maybe because they would save on the expensive international bandwidth?

Reason 2 : Why on earth would you want LAN sharing at such level? It’s very easy to spread a malicious code or virus like that.
[/quote]

Security can be implemented.

[/quote]

True.

And It’s Still not Intranet!!!Read the Topic!
[/quote]

The original poster asks if an ISP can launch a nationwide ‘LAN’. I simply mentioned that there are two ISP’s which already have a nationwide high speed backbone. It can be used however way the owners choose. Maybe you should read the topic…

Wooohhhh . . . A Nationwide LAN! That would cost soooo much and will require greater maintenance cost. Although it can be huge awesome project that can save millions in coming years.

Anything is possible, its the science age. Not to forget we have Network gurus here in Pakistan who can make that happen, with a help of foreign research of course ;)

Wooohhhh . . . A Nationwide LAN! That would cost soooo much and will require greater maintenance cost. Although it can be huge awesome project that can save millions in coming years.
[/quote]

Agree!!!

Anything is possible, its the science age. Not to forget we have Network gurus here in Pakistan who can make that happen, with a help of foreign research of course ;)
[/quote]

Well, capable of happening and making it happen are two different possibilities. I would say They need to put a lot more effort into it. Coz the way I see it, PTCL can’t topple 4MB as still… large number of people are still having problems with their DSL service. But, I am hopeful!!!

[/quote]

Thats the idea…long term solutions… AOL did it in USA Huge cache they had… Most of the USA Is WAN if you look closely… most of the world servers and data is located in USA… for a USA user its simply fetching a copy from another state to his/her PC… that is why bandwidth is cheap there and so is the speeds very high…

Looking at Wateen call within network are free …its a nationwide network they got… Vonage does that in US and many others do the same… the potential is there, putting it into action takes some courage…

Thats the idea…long term solutions… AOL did it in USA Huge cache they had… Most of the USA Is WAN if you look closely… most of the world servers and data is located in USA… for a USA user its simply fetching a copy from another state to his/her PC… that is why bandwidth is cheap there and so is the speeds very high…

Looking at Wateen call within network are free …its a nationwide network they got… Vonage does that in US and many others do the same… the potential is there, putting it into action takes some courage…

[/quote]

that’s just like you having your own LAN.

Vonage won’t have LAN to LAN or intranet services with their counterparts (e.g. Skype). They work within their own domain. I don’t think PTCL would want to do that. If they wanted, they would’ve done it already in DSL infrastructure. It’s just not possible right now because … WHERE’s the MONEY in IT?

In Cable, it’s possible, but in DSL… there’s hardly any chance for it

Have you guys heard of LWW? They use to provide intranet services in Lahore. I don’t think they exist anymore.

Money in IT - Outsourcing

I dont think if it is physibal or practicle. besides it is not all about the bandwidth ........ equipments i.e. modems, routers, and other servers .............. have there limits and max capicity to transfer teh data ...............

when we allow user of multiple isps to share each others equipment then these equipments might choke........... or every equipment should be powerful enough to handle the load ............

so i doubt that any ISP wud be willing to arrange such heavy equipments for which they are not being paiyed.......

:(

sorry guys its all about money .......

Internet sahee chal jaaye.... yahi ghaneemat hai!!!!!!