Is it wrong to call people "Dear"

In another thread I replied Kamran1x1 starting with "Dear" and he seems to be offended a bit. As per him its Gayish to call someone dear. Is it so?

I googled a bit, could not find it that way.

Here is a little discussion I found. http://www.experienceproject.com/question-answer/Is-It-So-Wrong-To-Call-People-Dear-Darling-Doll-Or-Sweetheart-If-You-Mean-Nothing-By-It/396294

People mentioned many different reasons, some liked, some didnt but no where its mentioned thats its gayish.

While I speak I dont use it a lot but while replying in forums, i use it quite often, coz i think its being nice to someone, I dont want to offend people, so let me know your thoughts on it.

Unless you are addressing your local SDO in a formal

letter, the word "dear" falls in the same category as

"honey", "pookie", "snookums", "baby", etc, etc.

If you say "dear" to some guy in an American bar, you

are guaranteed abuse, if not a sound thrashing.

IMO, the only time dear comes close to being accept-

able, (other than being used as a term of affection

between two lovers), is when you use it with the prefix

"(Won't you) be a...". Like, "Won't you be a dear and

fetch me my brush". But that too, is rarely if ever,

used between men.

Just my $0.02.

Sheikh 'Honeybuns' Chilli

Depends on the context it's used in.

This was the thread i am talking about : http://wiredpakistan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=16791&p=3, read post 48 and above.

Please note: i dont want to prove him wrong, I want to correct myself if I am wrong.

We are not black Americans but Kamran1x1 may be thats why he won't let other people to call him Dear

@Iconstorge Leave it ! its just Afro-Americans

I've spend some time in African American peoples their spoken English is far different than a normal American eng / British eng and its bit rubbish & rude too (you can say it Punjabi of English)

^Please please please......

Dont make it a personal attack thread..... only post is it right or wrong.

As I wrote, i dont want to prove him or anyone wrong but want to correct my ownself.

The way he reacted, i thought might be its wrong, just like before I was not aware that the word "!@#$" is not a good way to call Pakistani people, now I know that it is not being used in good understandings, so I dont use it anymore.

My above query was in the same direction and nothing else. The thread i quoted just to let other know it what context it was used in reply to Osman's post.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

The way he reacted, i thought might be its wrong, just like before I was not aware that the word “!@#$” is not a good way to call Pakistani people, now I know that it is not being used in good understandings, so I dont use it anymore.
[/quote]

Throw some light on !@#$ word also. :)

some stupid mango tango guys only think that !@#$ is not good word but its not its just a short refer for Pakistani as like some times Indians describe individuals Indi

!@#$ Pak Indo Indi Pako Hind all are good nothing bad to use it in your conversions

A couple of people I met they told me that its used as a slang and not considered to be good. May be they are some mango tango people. :)

Read this : http://menmedia.co.uk/asiannews/news/s/520366_paki_word_or_insult

Conclusion of above:

"As with all words, it all depends on the context."

[/quote]

^ Well actually in North America, if you call a Pakistani a '!@#$', it's considered very offensive.

some stupid mango tango guys only think that !@#$ is not good word but its not its just a short refer for Pakistani as like some times Indians describe individuals Indi

!@#$ Pak Indo Indi Pako Hind all are good nothing bad to use it in your conversions

[/quote]

Well actually in North America, if you call a Pakistani a ‘!@#$’, it’s considered very offensive.

Well Yeah if you say 'Dear' informally (like you used for Kamran), then it is considered kind of 'gay', and if you use it in formal settings, e.g. emails (Dear Sir, Dear Mr. Kamran), it's considered quite appropriate/well mannered.

Why care about him? He's always looking for excuses to pick fight.

Not referring to you but anyone who uses a lot of 'dear' is bound to be a noob !@#$ who doesn't comprehend English. But I won't generalize in your case since you don't seem to be noob :P

^ I am or not is not the topic :P

So, one should avoid it. Right? Same goes to word !@#$. Should be avoided.

Such a non-issue. Sheikh Chilli is right.

Closing thread.