Is it safe to use someone else's WIFI BroadBand Network?

Okay here is the story my PTCL DSL is down, and i don't know if my modem gone bad or its a back-issue, i am thinking to switch over Wateen also. In the mean time i am using a neighbors DSL through wifi, though he doesn't seems to know it :P, now my question is that is it safe to use GMAIL or other personal stuff via this network? the user have 4mbps port with fiberhome router.

If your able to use it without other user's knowledge then its probably safe but totally unethical.

Pakies FTW :/

chori and sina zori......

for starter you are stealing and have expectations of "safe internet"

A good router will be able to tell him.most ISPs keep records that may be viewed by the account holder to prevent disputes over how much bandwidth has been used and what has been logged & urls too I personally suggests you do not log your usernames on his network (if you think he is smart enough and good in computing)

^^^

good advise, i would suggest use torrents, make it your entertainment download connection..

anyway if your neighbor left open wifi (without password) so he is guaranteed noob to start with, he won't even know if somebody is using his wifi... you know what i mean

Of-course Its safe to use other person WIFI until he knows :P and Beat the Shyt Out of you :D

Technically it is stealing but it couldn't get you in trouble with the cops, but your nieghbors might get pissed off cuz you slow down their internet.

@MZC Can you give me your neighbor's contact number? Don't worry, I just want to ask him... um.... that which ISP is he using... :P

@ All, Quite amazing comments though i already told you people my dilemma, anyways he is using PTCL as if you may have noticed i mentioned Fiberhome router and 4Mbps earlier. :/

^ You didn't get the joke... read it again & again & again until you get it... or just move on. :P

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

@ All, Quite amazing comments though i already told you people my dilemma, anyways he is using PTCL as if you may have noticed i mentioned Fiberhome router and 4Mbps earlier. :confused:
[/quote]

dilemma? as in dilemma = exception to be unethical?

Doing wrong is bad but justifying wrong is worse… :confused:

You could always go to near by cafe to check your mails? or you SHOULD be complaining to your ISP for the problem for what your paying for

Actually, calling it unethical is debatable. Some people argue that unless you're going to use a lot of bandwidth, like when download large files or watching Youtube videos, it isn't exactly stealing. Why? Because it would be almost the same as using the light come from someone else's window to do your work. I'd add that not depending on someone else's internet to do your work would, however, become unethical.

But on the question of security, it isn't exactly safe. That's kinda like asking if about a prostitute lol - if its free and open then there's no real guarantee. If you really have to use it, maybe you could just share the payment for that month with that person or something.

Well only way to be sure is to let anyone else use your paid internet without your knowledge. Lets how would you feel about that person....

Or perhaps, you let them use it thinking they don't know that I know that's why they are using it or continue using it and in return, you get to track all their activities. And when appropriate time comes, you get to #$%# all over their face :D

At least that's what I would do ...

Imagine something like that happening to MCZ, his signature would suddenly take a whole new meaning :D

It seems i have posted this thread under Ethical Discussions!

Or you could have said while staring the thread "its an unethical thing to do but I am still doing it for cause I want to".

The thread could have been different. Or at least my response could have been different :)

yar what non sense ethic s-hit some of you are talking about.

-any half way computer literate person know when using wifi first thing is to secure it with wap2 and password protect it etc. and generally these are the types who use serious bandwidth

- those who don't password protect it are generally noobs, they could be some young kid who doesn't have much interest in computer and its just there to turn it on 2 or 3 times a week for few minutes to few hours or could be some uncle or aunty age who just check email or have facebook account and browse for news meaning very light user, so if they got 1 mbits connection or 4 mbits connection they never use all that bandwidth anyway, even if they are getting dial up speed their usage is so light that even dial up is enough for them.

it isn’t exactly stealing. Why? Because it would be almost the same as using the light come from someone else’s window to do your work
[/quote]

That someone else is always aware that his light will help others near his place, while OP’s neighbor probably isn’t…

those who don’t password protect it are generally noobs, they could be some young kid who doesn’t have much interest in computer and its just there to turn it on 2 or 3 times a week for few minutes to few hours… so if they got 1 mbits connection or 4 mbits connection they never use all that bandwidth anyway… even dial up is enough for them
[/quote]

So does that make it right?

Let me put it this way:

Scenario 1: You come home one night to find that your home have been robbed, nothing is left.

Scenario 2: Now, instead of it, a person have been stealing your stuff one by one, one item per day, but you’re too busy with your life to notice, you simply buy those things when you can’t find them thinking you probably lost them, while he keeps stealing from you & you never ever find out.

The 2nd scenario is pretty similar to OP’s scenario, Does that still seem right to you? Do you still think thats not stealing?

And I’m not saying that OP shouldn’t do that or anything like that, I’m just saying that what he’s doing is wrong, and thats a fact, i just ask you not to deny it… Everyone does wrong things in life, i do too, but I never deny that, you all shouldn’t too.

"Allah Dekh Raha Hai".

This is something that labourers working on a

construction site will usually write on the wall.

Even these barely literate people (who haven't

had the benefit of a costly education), under-

stand why they must follow the Golden Rules.

Here is an English quote which I think is apt here:

"Our character is what we do when we

think no one is looking." (Jackson Browne)

In an emergency, even pork is allowed. But I have

known people who will sit and argue with you,

with their "facts", why kunda on KESC is halal. :)

Sheikh 'Inna-mul Aeymalo Bin Niyaat' Chilli

Use http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/dd-wrt_privacy.

kamran1x1 it's a long one although you may consult a mufti on this.

op's question was related to security but you guys started debate on morality and now Islam.