Is it a good idea to mix RAM brands?

Hello guys. I was planning to upgrade the RAM on thinkpad since 1 GB is just not enough. Problem is, it has two 512MB modules. Now I am thinking of upgrading one 512 MB module to 1 GB and getting either a Kingston or Transcend. I have two questions:

- Should i go with Kingtson or Transcend?

- Is it a good idea to mix RAMs? Since the current RAM on my Thinkpad is by Nanya and if i upgrade one DIMM to 1 GB with Kingston and one 512 DIMM is remaining, will they conflict with one another?

I have already searched for this on the internet and want a second opinion from you guys.

Not a good idea I've found, especially with laptops, they seem more finicky than desktops. But it really varies, some laptops of the exact same model work fine, others don't.

i have 4 different brands from 4 different computer cafes in my desktop, transcend Kingston Samsung and one is corsair all are 1GB works very perfect

branding is not an issue the matter is compatibility all should be same ddr2 or ddr3

Not a good idea. They should be similar in ALL Respect to get the true performance

[quote=“rnathbatra, post:, topic:”]

Hello guys. I was planning to upgrade the RAM on thinkpad since 1 GB is just not enough. Problem is, it has two 512MB modules. Now I am thinking of upgrading one 512 MB module to 1 GB and getting either a Kingston or Transcend. I have two questions:

- Should i go with Kingtson or Transcend?

- Is it a good idea to mix RAMs? Since the current RAM on my Thinkpad is by Nanya and if i upgrade one DIMM to 1 GB with Kingston and one 512 DIMM is remaining, will they conflict with one another?

I have already searched for this on the internet and want a second opinion from you guys.

[/quote]

The basic rule in computers is, if using more than one RAM modules then make sure that they are of same brand, same model, same speed and same size (even not mixing 512MB with 1GB). You might call it purest-way but it ensures that it will work.

However, sometime you might need to think about mix and match. Let’s say, one day you were taking a stroll and you saw a RAM module near footpath. Obviously, you’ll be curious and if it works then you should put it in your computer because it’s free. In this situation, when you get RAM for free, then you are allowed to do mix-match and do experiment. But if you are spending your hard-earned money then you should go for twins. :)

By the way, I have experimented with mix-n-match, sometime it works and sometime the system will become unstable after few days or few months of use. Your mileage may vary. But hey, I never let go of free RAM. Just shove it in your computer for few extra milli-seconds speedup :P

Thanks guys for your comments. :).

@ Wampyr

I sorta followed your advice. :D. I have borrowed a friend's 1 GB RAM from his laptop which is dead. Replaced that with 512 MB RAM and its working fine uptill now. Will report on it after some time.

they should work fine if they are of same frequency and have similar timings :)

X2

Never found any issues with mix brand however, bus speed must be the same, and off course ddr1 with ddr1 and so on...

Late Reply:

Prefer using same brand. For example, if your older RAM is Kingston DDR 2, then buy Kingston DDR 2 RAM not Corsair DDR 2 because both companies have different styles of circuits. Mixed RAMS work but with reduced life span. It does not matter how much memory you use but it does matter what its make is.

Thanks everyone for your replies. As I already said above I am using a friend's RAM (which i borrowed from him) and the total RAM is now 1.5 GB. There is something funny happening with the laptop after i installed the RAM. Whenever I wake it up from standby, it wakes up alright, but it again goes on standby as I am typing in password on log in. So i have to wake it up again. And this second time it works without a problem. Do you guys think this is a RAM related issue?

i think rather than brand the compatibility of you laptop matters