iPhone 3GS using GPRS/EDGE without permission, why?

AoA,

I have bought iPhone 3gs , and now whats happening is it is using GPRS/EDGE without my knowledge , I have tried to turn off all the settings which may use EDGE automatically like PUSH Email etc , but still I can see in 'usage' that it is sending and receiving data in KB.

I know I can turn off cellular data , to disable GPRS/EDGE usage but I want to know which application/setting is causing iPhone to send and receive internet data .

So any one has any info on this ?

Thanks,

Maverick

Each time you install an app, it asks you if the app could you the net..

You could disable by going to application settings and check each individual apps details.

which firmware ?

Firmware = 3gs 4.1 .

If I restart the iPhone , and just do nothing even then after some time it uses GPRS, so somekind of service or background process is using GPRS ... !!!

but which one and how to configure it to ask always me before using GPRS ?

goto settings > general > network and turn celluar data off. u can turn it back on when u want to use gprs

The technology 2G,2.5 or 3G depends on the handset or on the service provider.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

goto settings > general > network and turn celluar data off. u can turn it back on when u want to use gprs
[/quote]

100% correct just turn it off with above instructions thats it, you can always turn it back on when you want, its all controllable at the user end nothing to do with the cell company.

ok just for your info:

almost all cell companies got gprs/edge “on” by default even if you want it or not and any data used through gprs/edge got standard rs 15 per megabyte charge on it. if you are not subscribed to any discounted package and you leave your edge on by default any data back and forth would be charged with above rate. so its very important that if you don’t want it at all, make sure you delete gprs/edge settings from cell manually.

for example i got telenor internet, sometimes i use it and some times i don’t, so when my iphone is not using gprs/edge this means its turned off the way paradigm has written above, so when i want to use it then beforehand through sms i subscribe to rs 30/ 10 megabyte package valid for 7 days then i turn my edge on, if by mistake i am not subscribed to discounted package and some iphone app turns it on and all the background push emails, news updates etc gobble up 10 megabytes then by default i’ll be charged 10 megs X rs 15 = rs 150 instead of discounted rs 30 for 10 megs.

THERE ARE LOTS OF CATCH 22s WITH THESE CELL COMPANIES HERE, ONE GOT TO STAY ONE STEP AHEAD TO NOT GET RIPPED OFF.