iPad 2 Launched

11x03028b234ipad2.jpg

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
Apple has just made its second-generation iPad official! It features a dual-core A5 chip and, finally, cameras, both front and rear! The new CPU is said to be up to twice as fast, with graphics performance up to nine times better than on the original iPad, while power requirements have been kept the same. Battery life is, consequently, unaltered, with Apple promising 10 hours. Pricing, too, has been left unchanged, starting at $499. The new tablet will come with an HDMI output capable of 1080p -- which will set you back $39 for the requisite dongle -- but we've yet to hear any rumblings of Thunderbolt connectivity. There's an enlarged speaker grille on the back, as expected, though resolution has not budged from the original iPad's 1024 x 768.

720p video recording at 30fps will be on tap from the rear-facing camera, which can also do a 5x digital zoom if you're into that kind of thing, whereas the front-facing imager will record at a more modest VGA resolution, also at 30fps.

There's a new cover for the device, which is best defined by Steve Jobs himself: "We designed the case right along side the product. It's not a case -- it's a cover." Basically, it's a magnetic flap that protects the front and automatically wakes and puts the device to sleep according to whether it's open or closed. Guess we know what that proximity sensor was about now. These Smart Covers will cost $39 in plastic or $69 if you opt for leather.

The iPad 2 is 33 percent thinner than its predecessor, at a mind-melting 8.8mm, and a little lighter at just over 600g, while chromatic options have been expanded: you'll get a choice between white and black. It'll be available on both AT&T and Verizon, and all variants start shipping on March 11th. Apple Retail Stores will start sales at the unusual hour of 5PM, which will probably make online pre-orders the fastest way to get yours.

In terms of new software, Apple's launching iOS 4.3 alongside the new iPad and bringing with it much improved Safari performance as well as FaceTime, Photo Booth, iMovie and GarageBand apps specifically for the newly camera-enriched iPad. Personal Hotspot capabilities are also arriving in the latest version of the OS, but they'll be exclusive to the iPhone 4, so you won't be able to share your 3G iPad's connection.

[/quote]

Source: ENGADGET

Looks nice apple had to up the ante because of what's coming in the next few months.

What i am impressed about is that it will be released in the next 10 days, which kinda kills all the hype created at CES about moto, LG, HP and RIM.

But an UI overhaul would have be nice, so would be Flash support and widgets instead of useless icons.

Front and rear camera ain't too big of a deal.

Nice to see what happens in the next few months in terms of tablet wars.

But apple has onces again beaten the rest to the competition in some ways.

Moto, HP, RIM, LG, it's time to drop those huge price tags and get your game faces on ;)

It's priced better than all the android 3.0 tablets...

cheap and very classy release by Apple , i am glad steve jobs is back :)

Yes price is nice. shops here have announced they will recycle for free. Why dont they give it to me ?

But apple has onces again beaten the rest to the competition in some ways.
[/quote]

I disagree. With various top-end tablets coming this month and the next, Apple simply panicked that they would be left behind. Hence they came up with iPad 2, with just a few changes. Its exactly the same as the original iPad, but with 2 cameras and a better processor. Only Apple fanboys would be tempted to buy this product. I’m not sure if anyone else will be tempted to buy “just a bigger iPod Touch”.

But thats just my opinion.

I thought I'll remove all that I said and provide this nice little comparison between the Motorola Xoom (which I prefer) and the iPad 2:

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/2011/03/02/apple-unveils-ipad-2-how-does-it-stack-up-to-the-motorola-xoom/

The iPad 2 is rumoured to probably have just 256MB RAM like the first iPad as well as the same pixel density. I personally can't see any reason to buy the iPad 2 really.

@Danny_Corrupt: Apple refreshes all its major products at least once a year. The previous iPad launched in March as well.

BTW can anyone tell me if an American AT&T iPad (WiFi + 3G) would run Zong GPRS? It's incompatible with T-mobile 3G so just wondering what's up with it.

Off-topic: @Osman Whats up man? haven't seen you around for a while, where've you been?

I thought I’ll remove all that I said and provide this nice little comparison between the Motorola Xoom (which I prefer) and the iPad 2:

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/2011/03/02/apple-unveils-ipad-2-how-does-it-stack-up-to-the-motorola-xoom/

The iPad 2 is rumoured to probably have just 256MB RAM like the first iPad as well as the same pixel density. I personally can’t see any reason to buy the iPad 2 really.

[/quote]

Based on the reviews of the Android 3.0 tablets and using the original ipad, in many respects the ipad 1.0 is far superior, let along the new ipad 2.

Nothing much revolutionary in this new iPad 2, Except for the new smart cover. Its just awsome i think. Too bad it will stay a product exclusive to the ipad only.

Any side-by-side comparisons of v1, v2 and the android options yet?

@Danny_Corrupt: Apple refreshes all its major products at least once a year. The previous iPad launched in March as well.

BTW can anyone tell me if an American AT&T iPad (WiFi + 3G) would run Zong GPRS? It’s incompatible with T-mobile 3G so just wondering what’s up with it.

[/quote]

3G is a totally different beast. Att phones can run GPRS on tmobile network and vice versa because GPRS has nothing to do with 3G bands which are 850MHZ for ATT and 1700MHZ and 2100MHZ for tmobile.

I disagree. With various top-end tablets coming this month and the next, Apple simply panicked that they would be left behind. Hence they came up with iPad 2, with just a few changes. Its exactly the same as the original iPad, but with 2 cameras and a better processor. Only Apple fanboys would be tempted to buy this product. I’m not sure if anyone else will be tempted to buy “just a bigger iPod Touch”.

But thats just my opinion.

[/quote]

You are right that apple refreshed their product because of competition but think about it, did they panic? i don’t think so, i think their strategy was stop on and beat the rest in terms of strategy and releasing the 1st dual core tablet. They definitely were designing this for sometime now because you can’t make a whole new tablet with a new processor in just a few months.

Now about the processor, i don’t know about you but i have used the 3GS and iphone 4 and believe me the difference between the speed in those 2 is night and day, when apple bumps their processor they do it in a big way.

I don’t like apples close system but their strategy and commercials and keynotes are top notch.

If you compare Sunjay Jha presentations, introduction on new products and compare that to apple, there’s is absolutely no comparison.

Ppl. who don’t have a pad might get this, it’s not for those who already have the 1st ipad.

And by the way i use android and windows :)

I think Apple blew away the competition yet again by keeping the price same. In fact it has always been Apple's policy to keep prices stable. On top of it the competition is making mistakes again and again by launching a table with 3g first which has higher price. What happens is that whenever they launch a higher price tablet they just take the limelight away from the lower price model which they launch subsequently. No one even remembers the lower price model, everyone just remembers the higher price model. Same thing is going to happen with XooM. Its $800 dollars now (with 3g), by the time a WiFi model with a reduced price arrives, people would have lost interest in XooM. Same thing happened with Samsung Galaxy Tablet.

Nothing much revolutionary in this new iPad 2, Except for the new smart cover. Its just awsome i think. Too bad it will stay a product exclusive to the ipad only.
[/quote]

I couldn’t agree more, i more excited at what google has to offer, looking forward to checking out the xoom and specially LG 3d tablet.

Based on the reviews of the Android 3.0 tablets and using the original ipad, in many respects the ipad 1.0 is far superior, let along the new ipad 2.
[/quote]

I beg to differ. Even the Android phones offer a lot more than an iPhone 4 does. The main reason the iPhone 4 is more popular is because of the simplicity of the OS. Android is shifting, but up until now it has been more like “by the geeks for the geeks” thing. Sort of like Windows and Linux.

Here’s a nice little comparison to show which tablet is really superior:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/apple-ipad-2-vs-motorola-xoom/

Here’s a side-by-side comparison between the iPad2 and Xoom among others:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/02/ipad-2-vs-motorola-xoom-vs-hp-touchpad-vs-blackberry-playbook/

I myself have used the original iPad (but I’ve owned an Android phone for a year now) and in my opinion, while in terms of built and finishing of the product Apple has always been top-notch, I could not help but feel handicapped by the iPad. The limitations in functionality as well as not being able to customize it as much as I’d have wanted was a real bummer. Watching videos on the potential of Android 3.0 I cannot but wait to get my hands on the Xoom. But ultimately, I suppose it boils down to the choice of being content with using your tablet like Apple would like you to or the choice to be able to experiment, be creative and make the most out of what you have. My 2 cents, at least.

The main reason the iPhone 4 is more popular is because of the simplicity of the OS. Android is shifting, but up until now it has been more like “by the geeks for the geeks” thing. Sort of like Windows and Linux.

[/quote]

I couldn’t agree more.

I suppose it boils down to the choice of being content with using your tablet like Apple would like you to or the choice to be able to experiment, be creative and make the most out of what you have. My 2 cents, at least.
[/quote]

Well the ipad2 is lighter and much thinner than xoom which is a good marketing factor but not a deal breaker, but the Xoom cost $799 off contract with 32GB, to my knowledge they don’t have a cheaper version now i know apple 32GB also cost similar, but how many ppl. need 32GB in a tablet? most ppl. use a tablet for facebook, youtube, mail etc not to download movies.

Also maybe you guys can afford it, but i can’t afford a $850 tablet.

Also let me know how long your Android phones batt. last, because i know from experience and it’s a big joke that android phones have awful bat. life.

Let me know what you guys think.

Well the ipad2 is lighter and much thinner than xoom which is a good marketing factor but not a deal breaker, but the Xoom cost $799 off contract with 32GB, to my knowledge they don’t have a cheaper version now i know apple 32GB also cost similar, but how many ppl. need 32GB in a tablet? most ppl. use a tablet for facebook, youtube, mail etc not to download movies.

Also maybe you guys can afford it, but i can’t afford a $850 tablet.

[/quote]

One of Xoom’s downside has been the price (of the 3G+Wifi models). Now most people, when it comes to iPad2 will buy the Wifi only model which will cost them $599 for the 32GB model. From what I’ve read, however, there is a possibility of getting the XOOM (Wi-fi only) for $600 (one store got popular for offering it for $539). So that’s basically the price you’d be more concerned about. One of the best things I’ve come to read (and watched in videos) about Xoom is that it isn’t anything like an Android phone. It’s different and still really amazing.

Apple’s strength currently lies in the apps which is lacking for the Honeycomb (Android 3.0). Just like the case was with the mobile phones, I think when the Android tablet market increase in size and offer quality apps then the iPad2 would only be as good as their cult following.

Oh and here’s more on why Xoom beats the iPad 1 and 2:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/17901/eight_reasons_the_motorola_xoom_beats_the_ipad

Also let me know how long your Android phones batt. last, because i know from experience and it’s a big joke that android phones have awful bat. life.

Let me know what you guys think.

[/quote]

That’s a tough one to answer. There are several factors to look into to answer this one properly, for instance on how you use the phone. Personally, I’m content with the battery life of my HTC Desire (although not so content if you compare it to old Nokias like the N82 I used to have). Besides making and answer calls, I keep Live Wallpapers, browse the internet for a couple of hours, connect it to my car stereo and listen to songs and the battery lasts for the day. But if you compare it to, let’s say the Motorola Droid 2 then it isn’t as good. Although, one of my friends who owns an iPhone 4 complained to me how its battery doesn’t seem to last an entire day.

This is a wifi only model they have promised and that would run cheaper, but no date available.

This is how the zoom is been marketed right now:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?&item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=5606

Above price puts us back $650. I guess everyone will have to check it out on a personal level to decide.

Flash and SD card support (in future SW updates) and widgets are a winner in my eyes.

Off topic i am more excited to check out the samsung galaxy tab 2, galaxy S2 and LG 3D slate and 3D phone in person :)