Internet Speed Problem

Salam All,

I own Samsung Galaxy Gio. I connect my phone with PC as a modem and dials a connection which I have made earlier . My network is zong and is providing EDGE services which speed is around 25 KBPS. The connection is established successfully but when I open websites in browser speed is around 5 to 10 KBPS. I have tried every single browser which is available in the market like Firefox, IE, Chrome, Opera. But I start a download in Internet Download Manager , speed is fast and around 25 KBPS. Why it is happening with me. When my brothers connect their C7 and E5 with PC the speed is same even if they are downloading or opening pages on the same PC.

Is my Gio is creating problem or is their problem in android system.

Anyone with solution

I guess its Zong's fault that your browsing sucks!

@inspiredidea - are you sure your phone isn't using any app to access data? There are some apps on the phone that will constantly eat up data (synchronization apps, for e.g.). I think that could be a reason.

Where are you located - like which city and all? I'm curious because I've NEVER seen 25KB/s on Zong! Never!

[quote=“shaheerk, post:3, topic:15607”]

Where are you located - like which city and all? I’m curious because I’ve NEVER seen 25KB/s on Zong! Never!

[/quote]

25KB/s is even more than specified speed of Edge, but note that he has mentioned approximate download speeds.

I am from Bhakkar, and seriously me and my brothers who are also using zong are getting 25 KBPS on ZONG EDGE.

@shaheerk I have factory reset phone to avoid any app for creating problems. I get upto 25KBPS download speed in Samsung Gio but on download only but I don't get the smae speed on PC when openng pages in any browsers. I checked it on muliple Pcs but the problem is same. I think my Samsung Gio modem has a problem and I should replace it or sale it. It is under 11 month warranty.

Erm... where's Bhakkar? (my Pakistani geography is rather limited :P )

[quote=“shaheerk, post:6, topic:15607”]

Erm… where’s Bhakkar? (my Pakistani geography is rather limited :P )

[/quote]

Use Google Maps :D

--- Sorry duplicate post ---

[quote=", post:7, topic:15607"]

Use Google Maps :D

[/quote]

LOL okay. Got it that it’s in Punjab… but - then - this still reaffirms my thoughts that Zong’s EDGE is better in rural areas than it is in urban cities (like Rawalpindi or Islamabad, for e.g.)

ZONG used to give me 28 kB/s on my Symbian connected to pc and downloading in IDM. The tower is very near to my hose and I get RSSI -48 dBm.

anyway,

@inspiredidea

use that proxy server of ZONG for browsing. I am sure It will make much difference

10.81.6.33:8000

I used to get 30-35KB/s on ufone EDGE! old times when there was no conept of DSL :D

[quote=", post:4, topic:15607"]

25KB/s is even more than specified speed of Edge, but note that he has mentioned approximate download speeds.

[/quote]

25KB/s is more than specified speed of EDGE ?

[quote=“zeshan, post:12, topic:15607”]

25KB/s is more than specified speed of EDGE ?

[/quote]

Thanks for correction, I just re-checked. EDGE has a maximum speed of 236.8Kbps which can give you a maximum of around 30KB/s. So 25KB/s might be achievable in some areas at some times.

Newer modulation types... enable you to go to 473 Kbps! Means 60....in a situation that no one else is connect to your tower for data services and all 8 time slots are assigned to your channel! Which is imposible! So It varries as per time!

I think operators usually assign 4 slots for data transmission

There are 8 slots available though Voice has precedence over data! so it overrides and leaves you with 2 to 6 channels :/

Hey,just follow some tips to make your speed up

-->Configure your browser so it won't display graphics, animations, sound, video or other multimedia content (see "How to Turn Off Sounds, Pictures or Video on Web Pages").

-->Surf when Internet traffic is low. Heaviest traffic is usually on weekends and evenings.

-->Use your cache effectively. "Cache" refers to storage space where your recently visited Web sites are saved. You may need to resize your cache allotment, or you may need to purge your cache periodically. Look through your browser's menus for items named Cache, Temporary Internet files and so on.

-->Upgrade your modem.

-->Consult with your Internet service provider to ensure that your modem is configured correctly.

-->Replace your telephone modem with a fast-access connection such as wave, ISDN, DSL, satellite, a cable modem.

and now check your connection speed here Ip-Details.com

even then your connection speed didnt get speed up then you better contact your service provider..