Internet load balancing help

We've two internet connections at home (PTCL + LinkDotNet), i was reading on this forum that somehow we can "combine" both connections by a multi wan router. I read about it on Google and I went to Hafeez Center today and asked for a load balancing router. The shop keeper told me few things, that it won't increase your speed and he recommended me TPLink router, he said there is also a DLink model but it shares connection through VPN.

I have few questions, i hope somebody will actually help me out.

1- What does a load balancer router actually does? Could it actually increase/double your speed, say (if you have 2 links of 4 MBs) or it actually acts this way only that if one connections fail other one starts working. Everybody tells a new story, please guide me through it. Because i read on Google that if you're using a multi wan router, it can only double your speed on torrents not on browsing.

2- Which multi wan router is best? DLink or TPLink? and what is load balancing through VPN?

3- Any related article would be appreciative to help me buy the correct router and understand terms.

Thanks.

search google.com for more help...

Thanks fahad_132, I wonder why this brilliant idea didn't come to my mind before.

Anyone else wants to give useful input? Like someone who has done it in real.

Load balancing can have different configurations depending on where it is employed. As far as I know, most of its use is in networking scenarios where there are multiple clients, and more than one Internet connection. In this scenario it will most likely work as a failover as well, to switch the traffic over to the working connection AND it will combine the bandwidth in the sense that it will route one client computer to one connection, and another one to second and so on.

You can use a local proxy server which has the ability to use two or more connections. I did this once a few years back for VWireless and Warid EDGE, and they worked fine. I did get combined bandwidth of both connections. I wrote a tutorial about it, but you will have to use Wingate's Trial version, or buy/get it via *other* means.

If you do want to give Wingate a try, I will suggest that you use two different brand of NICs to make the configurations easy.

I haven't used routers for this, so can't comment anything on that. Hopefully someone else can help you regarding that.

Thanks Asad-Ahmad, that's kind of answer i was looking for. To share and gain knowledge.

Anyone else to put more info regarding to the topic?

I haven't confirmed personally but I just came googling about this myself, and I think google is right, because router will have multiple WAN IPs and torrents seems to be ok with it but to download something your remote server will need an IP to send data over, which in our case will be a single IP means the single ISP that we will be connected to, the other IP will not be used.

I am still searching through it to find out about router load balancing. If router manages to divide the download in multiple parts and can receive multiple parts of data and then combining it for our PC which I doubt, will be an ideal router for me at least.

PS. This seems to be an older thread I assume you might have updated info regarding this yourself, would you be kind enough to share?

websites generate POST GET requests and having multiple WAN IPs shall render packets dangling. The best option is to use Asad Ahmad's tutorial., available on his blog.

If you are downloading and browsing at the same time you can make full use of both connections.

i tried this twice.

The first time: It connected to the faster connection and in case of a failure switched.

The second time: It doubled the bandwidth BUT not always.

What to do : Go out there and try it out. I didn't go ahead with it because at the end i knew i was to choose one connection. I know its possible because my neighbor has 2 4MB connections which produce ~6.9mbps so it definitely is possible. If you want, I can ask him specific details and tell it to you.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

i tried this twice.

The first time: It connected to the faster connection and in case of a failure switched.

The second time: It doubled the bandwidth BUT not always.

What to do : Go out there and try it out. I didn’t go ahead with it because at the end i knew i was to choose one connection. I know its possible because my neighbor has 2 4MB connections which produce ~6.9mbps so it definitely is possible. If you want, I can ask him specific details and tell it to you.

[/quote]

Which router did you used ?