Internet explorer problems

when i click on internet explorer>a whole lot of windows open up (like 30 to 40)>>i have scaned my hard rive with updated antivirus but nothing has been found>>what could be causing this?

my 2nd system>>

windows xp

p3 1.13 (512 l2 cache)

20 gb seagate baracuda

128 mb sdram

Probably some spyware. Try an anti-spyware software like S&D.

Which antivirus?

Use Firefox.

And try disabling any extensions/plugins that you've installed. Moreover, try uninstalling some programs in the Add/Remove panel.

Do a scan with HijackThis and post the results here - we might be able to identify something from there. :)

thnx everybody>>i have installed a registered zonealarm firewall and so far it seems to have stopped (i have disabled windows xp firewall)>>i will try out your suggestions and what ever happens i will post here

I don't think the firewall will help much, because you're already infected. Do tell how it goes.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

when i click on internet explorer>a whole lot of windows open up (like 30 to 40)>>i have scaned my hard rive with updated antivirus but nothing has been found>>what could be causing this?

my 2nd system>>

windows xp

p3 1.13 (512 l2 cache)

20 gb seagate baracuda

128 mb sdram

[/quote]

That is definitely spies, no doubt in it. Installing of Anti-Spyware or Anti-Virus (that also includes Anti-Spyware) will only suppress them but will not 100% clean your system. You should format and reinstall Windows. I shall recommend you to install Windows XP SP2 or later, do NOT install any earlier version. After installing clean Windows, before installing anything else, install good and latest Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware.

Remember the foremost important step, after installing clean Windows and Anti-Spyware + Anti-Virus, do NOT use Internet Explorer, even for one-second. Always use Firefox, or Opera or Safari. Before running any CD/DVD, scan them with Anti-Virus. After downloading any software from internet (and before running that software), scan it with Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware.

Also remember another golden rule, always keep your Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware updated to latest updates available.

By the way, keep in mind that running Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware will slow down your overall performance with average of 3% ~ 10%.

Fe-Aman Allah.

NOD32 is known to not slow down systems (only marginally, if they do... atleast not mine, when I owned a P3 750MHz some years back), but the general thing is, yes, they do slow things down.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

NOD32 is known to not slow down systems (only marginally, if they do… atleast not mine, when I owned a P3 750MHz some years back), but the general thing is, yes, they do slow things down.
[/quote]

nod32 only slows down copying and moving file operations and new file creation