Internet addiction to be recognized as a mental illness!

Read here:

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/story.html?id=705d2e4e-420f-4555-82ac-285b73d74d96&k=37204

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
Compulsive e-mailing and text messaging could soon become classified as an official brain illness.

An editorial in this month's issue of the American Journal of Psychiatry says Internet addiction -- including "excessive gaming, sexual pre-occupations and e-mail/text messaging" -- is a common compulsive-impulsive disorder that should be added to psychiatry's official guidebook of mental disorders.

Like other addicts, users experience cravings, urges, withdrawal and tolerance, requiring more and better equipment and software, or more and more hours online, according to Dr. Jerald Block, a psychiatrist at the Oregon Health and Science University in Portland. Dr. Block says people can lose all track of time or neglect "basic drives," like eating or sleeping. Relapse rates are high, he writes, and some people may need psychoactive medications or hospitalization.

[/quote]

No, its fake. E-Mail is like calling your friends, do you think that calling your Firends is Illness.

Hahahah

Its we all are ill. Please some one call the DOC.

No, its fake. E-Mail is like calling your friends, do you think that calling your Firends is Illness.
[/quote]

Its not ‘fake’. Its a recognized disease. And you’d realize that especially if you look at people using their Blackberry’s etc.

Heh, I agree. I know because I can spend 17 hours, without a break, on the Internet.

Though I can convince myself not to play World of Warcraft whenever I feel compelled to, I haven't been offline for a single day for the past 5 years except for some when I was away or the Internet was down. So yes, it is serious lol.

i am gone, call me a psycho.

Add me in the list of hopeless cases :lol:

In that sense, everything is an addiction, from praying to God, eating, breathing, drinking, walking, driving, watching TV, sleeping, going to rest room.... list goes on-and-on.

Hmm, now some people will call me blasphemous as I added "praying to God" too. But many people get relief when they pray to God and they get exact same symptoms like anxiety, depression, fear-of-loss and fear-of-sin if they are forcefully restrain from praying :) Definitely, case of addiction and mental illness.

I am so much going to burn in Hell :D Need to get advance reservation and passport for Hell :D

Fe-Aman Allah.

Its definately true.

I cant stay away from Internet for too long :P The only time im away is when im @ my uni

"____insert activity here______" is the opiate of the masses.

u know what this is what i think

yes internet addiction does exsist and that is the truth but calling it a mental disease is just plain stupid

Add me in the list of hopeless cases :lol:

In that sense, everything is an addiction, from praying to God, eating, breathing, drinking, walking, driving, watching TV, sleeping, going to rest room… list goes on-and-on.

Hmm, now some people will call me blasphemous as I added “praying to God” too. But many people get relief when they pray to God and they get exact same symptoms like anxiety, depression, fear-of-loss and fear-of-sin if they are forcefully restrain from praying :) Definitely, case of addiction and mental illness.

I am so much going to burn in Hell :D Need to get advance reservation and passport for Hell :D

Fe-Aman Allah.

[/quote]

Asalaam o Alaikum

Praying to God (Nawafil) can be an addiction if one ignore his other duties (Faraiz) and only concentrate on (nafl) namaz.

I don’t like the dictionary meaning of addiction. To me addiction is overindulgence to the point of being harmful. Addiction always reminds me of the first ayat of “Surah-e-takksur”, where Allah subhana utallah says (roughly translating a tafsir) addiction (in worldly things) caused you to lose your sense.

Subhanallah, Allah is always right.

Asalaam o Alaikum

This is nonsense. It's like saying if someone spends too much time partying or hanging out with friends, he's mentally ill. People do a lot of things in excess, and although it can be called a temporary addiction, it'd be silly to classify it as mental illness.

There's also some so-called research that revealed that people who play video games are mentally ill. I mean what the hell?

I guess those scientists working their ass off in the laboratories to give us new technology are also mentally ill. Heh.

P.S. and don't forget the guys addicted to doing these kinds of researches.

P.P.S. people also believed that fags were mentally ill, but it was proven to be wrong.

This is nonsense. It’s like saying if someone spends too much time partying or hanging out with friends, he’s mentally ill. People do a lot of things in excess, and although it can be called a temporary addiction, it’d be silly to classify it as mental illness.

There’s also some so-called research that revealed that people who play video games are mentally ill. I mean what the hell?

I guess those scientists working their ass off in the laboratories to give us new technology are also mentally ill. Heh.

P.S. and don’t forget the guys addicted to doing these kinds of researches.

P.P.S. people also believed that fags were mentally ill, but it was proven to be wrong.

[/quote]

Lets put it this way. An addiction is something you are compelled to do, and feel like you HAVE to do it. For example, cigarette smoking is an addiction. But in that case you’re addicted to the nicotine or whatever it is in the smoke. Its a ‘physical’ addiction. If you’re addicted to the internet (I don’t think anyone is disputing that an internet addiction is possible), theres nothing physical to get hooked onto, then theres a mental aspect to it. Hence, it being called a ‘mental illness’. As for your statement that ‘fags’ are not mentally ill, this is not the place for that discussion, but a WHOLE lot of people would dispute that! :)

Mentally ill? That IS a stretch. But the fact is that a lot people, of all ages, are spending a lot of their time on the Internet. So much time that their real-life duties are suffering because of it.

@sah, we are compelled to do many things. And sometimes we call it our passion. A bookworm, for example, does not suffer from any mental illness. Reading books is his passion. The same goes for many more activities.

I'm an internet 'addict' too, and by god, I'm a totally normal person (though you could say that a madman never admits he's mad.. lol)

Sorry about the fag thing. It was just an example. I didn't mean to start a debate. (but if you want a discussion, I stand by my statement)

First of all, consider me as "mentally ill" or "mentally challenged" because I am "addicted" to internet and computer because I have to earn bread and butter for my family through this machine. :D

Lets put it this way. An addiction is something you are compelled to do, and feel like you HAVE to do it.
[/quote]

That's kind of rough definition of addiction. Let's establish sah's definition for general addiction.

For example, cigarette smoking is an addiction. But in that case you're addicted to the nicotine or whatever it is in the smoke. Its a 'physical' addiction.
[/quote]

More precisely known as "drug addiction" or "chemical addiction".

But what about the addiction to Gambling or Internet? Recent studies has shown that even these addictions are also similar to "chemical addiction" because some brain chemicals such as Norepinephrine and Serotonin balances are similar to person addicted to cocaine.

Moreover, Endorphin is released when a person accomplish some "addictive" activity (for example, satisfied after using internet, checking emails, gambling, exercise etc.). Endorphin gives a person the "high" state naturally. It's a natural drug that our body produce after some accomplishment as a reward and we feel "good", "happy" and "satisfied".

I knew it that somebody will get their swords ready for me, as shakil pointed out. I'll remove Islam from my further discussion. Let's assume that praying in Islam has nothing to do with any addiction (after all it's a divine religion and has the power to nullify all other religions).

Let's see, (hopefully people of other religion won't mind it) when a christen pray to Jesus Christ, like in Sunday Mass, or before eating dinner, or before going to bed. Or when a Hindu do his daily morning prayer before his Bhagwan. And if they miss their pray then (some people), don't they will like they have missed something very essential from their daily routine? And they get anxiety, depression, fear-of-loss, fear-of-sin because they didn't pray to Jesus Christ or Bhagwan. And when they repent with extra prayer to Jesus Christ or Bhagwan, don't they feel "satisfied" and "happy". My question is, doesn't praying for Jesus Christ and Bhagwan can also become an addiction?

What do you people think?

Fe-Aman Allah.

P.S. Please don't attack me now as I am not discussing Islam here. I don't want any human to tell me that that human has decided my fate as in Hell. Let Allah to decide on the Judgment Day.

P.S.S. I can also use "extra" words with entities but that doesn't make my logic any better than others.

@ wampyr

Even God doesn't want you praying to Him 24/7. If He did, He wouldn't have made you human.

Too much eating causes obesity which can kill you.

There is no such thing as too much breathing. Unless you prefer to not live.

People need to walk. Now if you pull a Forrest Gump with walking then you probably have issues.

It's already been established that too much driving causes a huge amount of strain on the human brain and is not healthy.

Watching too much TV is already classified as a form of addiction. I don't know anyone (anyone sane that is) who thinks watching too much TV is a good thing.

7-8 hrs is sleep is what a human body needs to function. Too much sleep can imbalance a person's natural hormone cycle and makes one lethargic which leads to being lazy which leads to being overweight which we already established is bad. Not to mention too much all that toxic blood just sitting in your veins when you sleep.

Going to the restroom is kind of a physical necessity unless you do what that lady did in Kansas and sat on the toilet for 2 years. Then yeah, there's some mental issues there.

So, I don't see how you can disagree with the article when it clearly states "excessive" internet usage is what causes it to be a mental illness. Excessive usually means when you don't really need it. Nothing wrong with using the internet if it is needed for work, school, etc.

This is nonsense. It's like saying if someone spends too much time partying or hanging out with friends, he's mentally ill. People do a lot of things in excess, and although it can be called a temporary addiction, it'd be silly to classify it as mental illness.

There's also some so-called research that revealed that people who play video games are mentally ill. I mean what the hell?

P.S. and don't forget the guys addicted to doing these kinds of researches.

[/quote]

Depends on the video games (sometimes) and the amount of time spent playing them. 20 hours in a day...yeah, there's something wrong.

Scientists get paid and as you said, they give us new technology and do benefit humans on a large scale so there is a positive outcome. Plus, once work is over, there is no mulling over it. Last time I checked, excessive gaming didn't really have much of a postive outcome unless you're one of the corporate owners who sponsor gaming events then you make more money. But in terms of a big picture, it's not really benefitting anyone.

I'd be very careful using homosexual research since most of it still isn't complete. But I'm pretty sure even gays agree that anything in excess is bad.

@sah, we are compelled to do many things. And sometimes we call it our passion. A bookworm, for example, does not suffer from any mental illness. Reading books is his passion. The same goes for many more activities
[/quote]

Yes, but I'm sure when the bookworm forgets basic human activities, it sends of flags of mental issues.

Passion can become an addiction. Look at Cantor, Boltzmann, Godel, they were passionate about mathematics but I think it's safe to say these guys crossed the boundary into addiction which eventually destroyed them.

@ wampyr

Even God doesn’t want you praying to Him 24/7. If He did, He wouldn’t have made you human.

Too much eating causes obesity which can kill you.

There is no such thing as too much breathing. Unless you prefer to not live.

People need to walk. Now if you pull a Forrest Gump with walking then you probably have issues.

It’s already been established that too much driving causes a huge amount of strain on the human brain and is not healthy.

Watching too much TV is already classified as a form of addiction. I don’t know anyone (anyone sane that is) who thinks watching too much TV is a good thing.

7-8 hrs is sleep is what a human body needs to function. Too much sleep can imbalance a person’s natural hormone cycle and makes one lethargic which leads to being lazy which leads to being overweight which we already established is bad. Not to mention too much all that toxic blood just sitting in your veins when you sleep.

Going to the restroom is kind of a physical necessity unless you do what that lady did in Kansas and sat on the toilet for 2 years. Then yeah, there’s some mental issues there.

So, I don’t see how you can disagree with the article when it clearly states “excessive” internet usage is what causes it to be a mental illness. Excessive usually means when you don’t really need it. Nothing wrong with using the internet if it is needed for work, school, etc.

[/quote]

Ahh. Very well put. Reminds me off what my chemistry teacher said once: ‘Anything in excess is poison. Even milk!!!’

I think that one line contains a lot of wisdom, and should be a motto to live by! :)

Moreover, Endorphin is released when a person accomplish some “addictive” activity (for example, satisfied after using internet, checking emails, gambling, exercise etc.). Endorphin gives a person the “high” state naturally. It’s a natural drug that our body produce after some accomplishment as a reward and we feel “good”, “happy” and "satisfied"

Let’s see, (hopefully people of other religion won’t mind it) when a christen pray to Jesus Christ, like in Sunday Mass, or before eating dinner, or before going to bed. Or when a Hindu do his daily morning prayer before his Bhagwan. And if they miss their pray then (some people), don’t they will like they have missed something very essential from their daily routine? And they get anxiety, depression, fear-of-loss, fear-of-sin because they didn’t pray to Jesus Christ or Bhagwan. And when they repent with extra prayer to Jesus Christ or Bhagwan, don’t they feel “satisfied” and “happy”. My question is, doesn’t praying for Jesus Christ and Bhagwan can also become an addiction?

What do you people think?

[/quote]

You’re misreading the article.

Eating chocolate also releases endorphins in the brain but that’s hardly an accomplishment. Endorphins are also released when a person works out or has an orgasm. So you don’t need to do something “addictive” for endorphins to get released.

There are people out there who overdo worship. My friend’s fiance literally had OCD when it came to praying. He had to get therapy. He would do wudu and pray. After he’d finish, he would start getting thoughts like his wudu wasn’t done properly or he do sajdah properly or didn’t read some surah properly. This was to the point where he’d repeat his wudu and prayer 6-7 times. That was bad. It wasn’t an addiction. It was a different type of mental illness. OCD. But a mental illness nonetheless.

when anything becomes an addiction i.e you cannot live without it then it is illness... and yes games like counterstrike are illness for me then... but i just wanna know that if i love a sport and play it too much and want to excel in it and play it all my youth to earn money like any international footballer, cricket in the world... they are also addicted and love the game then are they sick too??? these goras just go too bloody far sometimes in "sciencing" everything... it is just called "humanity"... it can be called a disorder of sorts to be over passionate but still man that is how human think and may not be a bad thing