Intel Sandy Bridge GPU Question?

I am building a new system, I have a quick question which i tried to google but wasn't able to find any answer yet. Since new Sandy Bridge I series CPU comes built in with GPU so using appropriate Motherboard one could have pretty decent dual display out.

Now my question since i'll be using Sandy Bridge I3 2100 wih HD 2000 Graphics GPU but instead of using built in GPU i want to install ATI graphics card and use run my two monitors from it,

- in this case what will happen to CPU's GPU, is it going to stay passive and do nothing?

- or is CPU's GPU gonna help process other non Graphics related processing meaning giving extra boost to main CPU processing since graphics display is being taken care by dedicated ATI card?

The whole point of the Sandy Bridge is that you don't use an external video card. It is really for people who won't be doing graphics intensive computing or at the very least, not playing the very demanding games out there.

If you're planning on gaming 'properly', then get a separate mid-end video card and forget about the Sandy Bridge. The built-in GPU will not be used.

I think Z68 chipset might enable usage of both gfx chips (processor and Gfx card) but don't quote me on that. Its been some time since I last read about it.

[quote=“kamran1x1, post:, topic:”]

- in this case what will happen to CPU’s GPU, is it going to stay passive and do nothing?

[/quote]

Probably you should be able to find some setting in the BIOS to enable / disable the built-in GPU.

It will be auto disabled when using an dedicated GPU - at least with default configs. I am using an H67 chipset so it supports both.

Currently, there are two chipsets but both have issues:

P67 = Full overclocking, but integrated GPU isn't supported. You will need a dedicated one.

H67 = No processor or ram overclocking, but the integrated GPU works.

P.S. Z68 chipset will support both the iGPU and full OC but it's not released yet.

[quote=“sah, post:2, topic:14622”]

The whole point of the Sandy Bridge is that you don’t use an external video card.
[/quote]

Not sure what you mean by that. When people say ‘Sandy Bridge’ they are usually talking about the new processor architecture which has a lot more to offer that just a integrated graphics solution on the CPU chip. It’s also a lot faster, is smaller fabrication therefore uses less power and generates less heat.

Anyways according to Intel themselves the the Sandy Brdige graphics are not targeting high end graphics card…

I can’t speak for desktop but I have recently bought a Sandy Bridge laptop and it has a nVidia graphics solution along with the built in Sandy Bridge GPU. The nVidia has a an automatic switching design, called ‘Optimus’. This is supposed to switch between GPU automatically depending on how much graphics processing is required (the main idea is trying to save power here). Of course you can also switch manually.

I believe AMD does not have any automatic switching, but you can still switch manually.

Went to the market today. DB65AL now has reduced availability so price has increased. DH61BE has come in the market with 2 x USB3 ports and 2 x SATA 6Gbps ports. It seems IDE has totally disappeared from the current crop of boards.

Prices have increased and are expected to increase more after/around the budget.

Right. Thanks for the market report Asad. To answer the OPs question when you use a discrete graphics card the SB IGP is not used for the most part. However a feature in SB CPUs called quick sync which allows for hardware acceleration for video decoding and encoding is still available. So if you are into video editing and the software you use has support for that feature it can take advantage of it for faster performance.

edit: The only thing is you have to be using h6 or z68 series chipsets to be able to take advantage of quick sync. It won't work on p67.