Installing Wi-MaxUSB on rooftop

AOA!

I have observed (after an experiment) that I get 100% signals with best CNIR, Tx and Rx values when I use the Wi-Max USB (Black colored Motorola) at my rooftop. Now I don't have any laptop, plus I can't take the whole PC at the roof, and at the same time I want to get that much signals. The question is that, is there any way I can install the USB on the rooftop (with proper water proof mechanism) and use my computer at the ground floor. The distance between ground floor and roof top is approx. 20 ft or so. I don't think so that that much length's USB extension will even power the device. So is there any solution to that?

Thanks in advance!

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

AOA!

I have observed (after an experiment) that I get 100% signals with best CNIR, Tx and Rx values when I use the Wi-Max USB (Black colored Motorola) at my rooftop. Now I don’t have any laptop, plus I can’t take the whole PC at the roof, and at the same time I want to get that much signals. The question is that, is there any way I can install the USB on the rooftop (with proper water proof mechanism) and use my computer at the ground floor. The distance between ground floor and roof top is approx. 20 ft or so. I don’t think so that that much length’s USB extension will even power the device. So is there any solution to that?

Thanks in advance!

[/quote]

I haven’t seen Wateen’s USB WiMax device but I assume it is like the PTCL EVO device as far as its dimensions are concerned. What you can do is to find a WiFi router which has a port for your WiMax USB (I have seen 3G WiFi routers which have a USB port but I only assume such stuff exists for WiMax USB as well. Someone else here on the forum might comment on that). You can power this WiFi thing with some battery and to cover this whole stuff from rain water. Now if your PC has a WiFi card in it, you can join to your WiFi network to use the Internet. But all this is heck of a work. It might become bit easier if you put all this setup in some room on the top floor, may be with an open window, instead of placing outright on the roof.

As far as the routers are concerned don't......... 3G routers to date dont support wimax USB devices. so you will just spending money unless they come up with an upgrade that can support it..... to my knowledge they dont support it yet...... Secondly this device cannot be powered alone..... it has its own n00bish wimax software which has to be run by the PC connecting to it...... moving your pc to another location or placing it closer to a window might help..... what is percentage of signals you get in your current location.... the device works perfectly well even with 40-60% signals.....