Info required regard UBL wallet VISA Debit card

I just checked this UBL wallet service. It says one can use his/her debit card to shop online. From what i remember anyone can get a Debit card unlike Credit cards?? (caz the only thing holding me back from a credit card is the fixed monthly income/ job requirement)

anybody got a clear idea how this services works? and can i get a debit card with a simple UBL account? ...i dont have any income at all, but i'd happily deposit my money in my UBL account to buy stuff online given this UBL wallet service is that straight forward.

here's the official page > https://www.ubl.com.pk/services/ubl_wallet/walletnet_detail.asp

share any info/experience abt this service plz

nice. but 100 Rs per session isn't costly? if someone needs to spend < 1000

The UBL feature of online usage is pretty nice, even for a 100 per session. If you want to pay for hosting, you can always convert your billing to 3 months or so to avoid activation every month.

Though if you can convince your parents to get a Credit Card and use that when needed (optionally paying them) will be better :)

getting a credit card is way outta question in current situation for me. i'm looking for something like, i depost 1000 rs in my bank account, i get a card, i buy stuff with that card, that bank account cash is deducted in return ...

i hope this Wallet thingy turns out something like that MINUS the credit-card 'خواری'

That's an awesome offer and definitely a good way to protect misuse of the credit card with that session system. For those who need to online shopping once in a while, it's a good card. No other bank currently offers a debit card that can be used online for normal account holders. Few banks offer international ATM cards when certain requirements are met.

I'm currently using my Payoneer card but I think I will try to get the UBL's one now.

@AbbasJin: I believe it's an enhancement service to the existing normal Vista debit card so check out their normal accounts. You can confirm this from the bank and open a normal checking/saving account.

um hm, I see.

anybody got any pricing info like how much does it cost to get the debt card? and whats the minimum amount required in ur account in order to be able to use it online?

Thanks Abbas! That's a dream come true for me! :D

I'm gonna get it and will let ya know how it goes.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Thanks Abbas! That’s a dream come true for me! :D

I’m gonna get it and will let ya know how it goes.

[/quote]

heh, np bro. I just hope this service works the way we are assuming/expecting it works.

well session isnt a new things..askari does that too with its credit card although no fees are charged for that duration by askari Bank

as per debit card insurance is involved..its isnt same as credit card policies.credit is borrowed money while debit is yours for sure .bank wouldnt cover any abuse of debit card most likely..

well session isnt a new things…askari does that too with its credit card although no fees are charged for that duration by askari Bank

as per debit card insurance is involved…its isnt same as credit card policies.credit is borrowed money while debit is yours for sure .bank wouldnt cover any abuse of debit card most likely…

[/quote]

Yeah, but many of those who are going to use it will be students or freelancers. The point is, a normal freelancer cannot get a credit card at all unless there’s strong proof of income and self-employment in form of 6 months tax payment. Or else, you have to be employed.

Oh thanks for telling this Abbas and Specter (on MSN about this topic :P). This is definitely good news. Got the card, shall use it :D. Way to go UBL!

Joker please tell if it works for you.

If it works, i'm gonna be needing some more info like the requirements and procedure to get this debit card. keep us updated!

Excellent step! Now all of you register at moneybookers. :P

Hellloooo!!! why's everybody jumping up happily like chimps??

this thing isn't verified to work yet!! unless somebody successfully shops with his/her debit card and post here, we cant know for sure if it works.

welcome to the bandwagon.

//signing off, back to Roswel

^ What makes you think it wont work man?. UBL is a well reputed bank, they won't just talk about a feature which they can't offer.

AbbasJin: I am sure it will work. I opened my Bank account a year n half ago with UBL. Got their UBL Wallet Card/Debit Card as well, got the Gold one, they have different yearly fees for the Debit cards they offer. The only difference being the maximum debit limit per day.

I had an idea that this thing will eventually work on Internet. Since Banks in some countries abroad like USA and UK already offer use of Debit Cards online, the same way as Credit Cards, the only difference being Debit Card deducting money directly from your Bank Account. UBL Wallet had this THREE Digits code on its back, the verification code I think it is called present on the back of each Credit Card. This is used for verification purposes online & I had asked the helpline right away, if it can be used on Internet just like a credit card. I was told that it can't be used right now but should be in future! All this was a year n half ago. Can't believe it has finally arrived, lol.

AbbasJin; you don't need any thing special to get any Bank's debit card other than opening a bank account with them and selecting to get the debit card option on the account opening form and make sure you get the one which has the maximum limit, fee is like 500 Rupees a year which isn't bad at all.

UBL's ATM/Wallet Card has another awesome feature which is not around on many banks. You can do Inter-Bank transfers through ATM, not to all Banks though. I have used the service twice and it was terrific. Charges were like 50 Rupees per transaction & is done usually within 20 minutes. You select the Bank; then give the account number and amount. Account details of the person show up on the screen, verify it and give it a go, you are done. (This one may be not a big deal for those living in big cities where major banks are present with many branches. Here not all Banks are present, so came in handy & you save time)

I have sent in my request for online activation today. I guess they'll e-mail and inform its been done. Got no plans to buy anything right away though so cannot confirm it to anyone but it should work. It's just like a Credit Card, the only difference being this one doesn't work like Credit Card, this cuts the amount from your account directly. The security measures they have are good too, equal to those of most of the Banks here I guess. They are same as Bank Alfalah, that much I can tell. You have to call each time before using it on Internet, to activate it, you have to go through a verification process with the helpline and then you will be asked for the amount you want to shop online and the duration for which it should be activated for using online. 5 minutes is usually enough for us, when shopping through Alfalah's Credit Card.

And, I asked the helpline today if any statement will come for the online usage. I was told once each 6 months for the online usage. It would be sweet if a detailed statement shows up on UBL NetBanking site.

A separate online usage statement may actually show up on the Net Banking site after they activate the card's online usage for me. So let's see.

thanks for detailed summary joker.

i guess i'll get a debit card on my mom's UBL account then. i hope this works.

anyway last night i just experiment with ebay products to see how much it costs to ship to pakistan.

i select a 9600GT card and it was cool to see that it costs around 10,000 rs (compared to 14000rs galaxy.pk's price) but the shipping prices were ALOT like 40-70$ (thats around 3-5k :( )

now that i might take a first step to shopping online sometime, which online sellers do you guys trust the most, and find the most affordable when it comes to shipping.

also, what about the customs other stuff ..i mean i dont wanna blow my cash on something that the custom guys will take outta the box for themselves on Karachi seaport, or isloo airport.

plus, how to judge if a seller (on ebay for example) is fraud?

You shouldn't shop for computer products online at a foreign website unless they aren't available in pakistan at all. You'll be ripped in customs and shipping costs.

Well, few days back, I ordered a book worth $17.10 and it cost me $17 in shipping costs. And the 2 books I ordered from Amazon cost me above $30 in expedited shipping I think. The worse irony was in case of a used book valued at $3, but with a shipping cost of $13 :/

Now these are normal air-mail shipping and not the courier ones. There's no tracking and there's no guarantee of delivery (but that's because of our Pak Post :P).

i select a 9600GT card and it was cool to see that it costs around 10,000 rs (compared to 14000rs galaxy.pk's price) but the shipping prices were ALOT like 40-70$ (thats around 3-5k
[/quote]

Add at least 15% duty on that (according to their estimation) and it will be over 15k. I believe it will be shipped via UPS if $70 is the cost - so that's generally safe. But I remember a duty of 700rs on a food supplement of $100 (6000rs back then).

i guess i'll get a debit card on my mom's UBL account then. i hope this works.
[/quote]

Either that or try opening a UBL Rupee Transactional account with a minimum balance of Rs 10,000. I hate the part where they ask for an introducer but that shouldn't be a problem for you.

You shouldn’t shop for computer products online at a foreign website unless they aren’t available in pakistan at all. You’ll be ripped in customs and shipping costs.
[/quote]

man :( i was so excited about buying computer hardware online, but shipping costs are a big problem now. I guess there’s got to be a way around. What about some asian sellers? like japanese/hongkong sellers? (its supposed to cost less as the distance is way less than compared to distance b/w Pak & USA. if asian sellers will charge less for shipping then which sellers are trust worthy?

Well, few days back, I ordered a book worth $17.10 and it cost me $17 in shipping costs. And the 2 books I ordered from Amazon cost me above $30 in expedited shipping I think. The worse irony was in case of a used book valued at $3, but with a shipping cost of $13 :confused:
[/quote]

13$ shipping cost for a $3 book is too much, i guess it would’ve been much cost-effective had you ordered all those books at once.

Now these are normal air-mail shipping and not the courier ones. There’s no tracking and there’s no guarantee of delivery (but that’s because of our Pak Post :P).
[/quote]

yeah, thats another serious threat to Pakistani e-buyers. I wont pay 7000rs for a 200gram video card, but i dont wanna take the risk of losing it to some stupid shipping company either.

i select a 9600GT card and it was cool to see that it costs around 10,000 rs (compared to 14000rs galaxy.pk’s price) but the shipping prices were ALOT like 40-70$ (thats around 3-5k
[/quote]

Add at least 15% duty on that (according to their estimation) and it will be over 15k. I believe it will be shipped via UPS if $70 is the cost - so that’s generally safe. But I remember a duty of 700rs on a food supplement of $100 (6000rs back then).

Either that or try opening a UBL Rupee Transactional account with a minimum balance of Rs 10,000. I hate the part where they ask for an introducer but that shouldn’t be a problem for you.
[/quote]

i guess getting a debit card for ‘our’ current account would be cheaper than getting a new account altogether. we’ll see.