India Develops World's Cheapest Tablet

"In another attempt to bring a usable computer to the masses at an extremely affordable price point, India has developed a touchscreen computing device which will cost only $35. According to a press release by India's Press Information Bureau, the price is expected to drop even further, first to $20 and ultimately to a mere $10.

The reports about the device's hardware vary greatly; all we can say for sure is that it's portable and has a touchscreen, which pretty much makes it a tablet (confirmed by the image on the right).

According to Indian Express, it has a 5/7/9 inch touchscreen (we don't know whether that means there will be several versions of the device or they're simply unsure what the actual size is, but it looks like a 7-incher to us), and on the software side, it sports a web browser, PDF reader, office software, media player as well as multimedia input/output capabilities, video conferencing (it must have a camera, then) and remote device management capability – all of it open-source and Linux-based.

Whatever hardware is running this thing, it's ready for production, according to India's human resource development minister Kapil Sibal. "We have reached a (developmental) stage that today; the motherboard, its chip, the processing, connectivity, all of them cumulatively cost around $35, including memory, display, everything," he said at a news conference in New Delhi.

The device, Sibal said, should be available to consumers sometime in 2011."

Source: http://mashable.com/2010/07/23/india-cheapest-laptop/

Is this going to explode a few hours after purchase like India's 'cheapest car in the world'? Theres a reason things are expensive...You usually compromise quality to make them cheaper.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Is this going to explode a few hours after purchase
[/quote]

We can expect that from India :D

Is this going to explode a few hours after purchase like India’s ‘cheapest car in the world’? Theres a reason things are expensive…You usually compromise quality to make them cheaper.
[/quote]

x2

x2

[/quote]

x3 :D

marketing marketing marketing, thats all thy are really good at.

BTW haven't Chinese already have cheap iPads and Tablets with linux and android installed

^ Yeah, available at 'throw-away' prices... and after a day or two of use, you feel like throwing them away. One of my colleagues bought a replica of iPhone 3G from his friend, who sold it for PKR 2,000/- just after 4 days of purchase, so it carried full One-year warranty, and had same functionality as iPhone and so much more...

Now after a couple of days of use, he is also looking for a buyer. Reason: Too slow and touch screen is non-responsive. So quality does come at a price! Too much price in case of Apple though.

India makes a lot of noise but delivers little. Read up on the LCA if you want to understand India's chronic bragging disease.

the 100$ laptop seems a better project

Excellent article by Indians themselves regarding this ridiculousness. Maybe they realize the lameness of their overhype themselves!

Article: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Hardware/articleshow/6214029.cms

Excellent article by Indians themselves regarding this ridiculousness. Maybe they realize the lameness of their overhype themselves!

Article: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Hardware/articleshow/6214029.cms

[/quote]

there is no way all those components can be bought at that price even the cheapest OEM stuff is used.

one may be able to make deal on other components, on memory one can’t do nothing memory prices goes ups and down like stock market, its all determined by supply and demand.

only way possible if all the component companies donate parts as charity

I guess you guys didn't read that the $35 price is subsidized and you won't be able to buy the tablet in the market. It is only for some poor/rural educational areas.

^ The spokesperson claims that a student project was responsible for the products creation and they spent $47 for the components. The Indian HR Development Minister wants to bring it down to $10 via subsidies. Regardless, I'm not too impressed. I would rather see proper netbooks being subsidized than time, money and effort being wasted on a half-ass product which takes all kinds of shortcuts to bring down cost.

Since the target market is the poor who can use this product for education purposes, you would want a device which is tough, durable and can last for many years to come. A $10 device which dies on you in probably a few months is not going to help the poor very much. I would think quality for this kind of product is even more important than for the midrange $1000 laptops which are usually discarded after around 3-4 yrs of use.

You can buy p3s and even some p4s for $35. So I don't understand why you would doubt that a tablet can be made at that price level.

But I think its better if they simply used older hardware like p4s. Look into a custom Linux distro that is easy on hardware resources. Perhaps use fluxbox or xfce as the window manager and you have a functional computer that can be shared by 2 students. More useful than a tablet wherever electricity is available.

An interesting point in the econ times article referred above is that mobile phones can be bought at this price level today. You can buy a touch screen mobile for around $100. I am sure within a year price will go down to around $40. Perhaps developing applications for these devices is a better idea.

^ We're not denying that a tablet can be made at a low cost. We're just questioning its quality and useful life. You can't claim that a $35 device can compete with the quality of say an iPad at cost price (even though I hate Apple...).

And oh btw. I haven't even touched on the topic of a tablet computer actually being of ANY benefit to the poor, and of it even remotely coming close to achieving its goals. Think about it realistically and what is going to happen? The short term result of distributing such a device amongst the poor will be to immediately create a black market to sell it for parts and quick money. People need to get their heads out of their idealistic cloud full of puppies and rainbows and face the world with its ground realities.

^ We’re not denying that a tablet can be made at a low cost. We’re just questioning its quality and useful life. You can’t claim that a $35 device can compete with the quality of say an iPad at cost price (even though I hate Apple…).

And oh btw. I haven’t even touched on the topic of a tablet computer actually being of ANY benefit to the poor, and of it even remotely coming close to achieving its goals. Think about it realistically and what is going to happen? The short term result of distributing such a device amongst the poor will be to immediately create a black market to sell it for parts and quick money. People need to get their heads out of their idealistic cloud full of puppies and rainbows and face the world with its ground realities.

[/quote]

Tablets are still new so its difficult to imagine what they could be used for. But in a few years time tablet prices will drop to around $100 so we’ll be able to try them out here in Pakistan too. I am sure they will turn out to be quite useful as applications are developed for them.

I agree with you though that a tablet PC is not very useful now. That is why I suggested that they invest in used p4s instead. Those could serve as useful educational tools.

Basically a computer is an information processing tool. If students are the target end user they could use a tablet PC to do look up information online and research things. They could also communicate with students in other schools and learn with them.

If village farmers are the target end user then they could:

- Learn about current market prices for their crops and their inputs. This is a big deal because they are often exploited by middlemen.

- Buy and sell their produce online

- Transfer money. Internet banking or an online payment system.

- Receive advice on improving their harvests

Just like to add that while all of the above may sound like wishful thinking it has already proved successful in at least one country. Kenya is famous for its mobile payment system that is used by all and sundry including villagers. Its faster and safer than cash. Look up mpesa to see what I mean.

I wonder if this contradicts someones claims

http://symbios.pk/android-tablet-pc-with-wifi-and-touch-screen-p2880-in-pakistan

I wonder if this contradicts someones claims

http://symbios.pk/android-tablet-pc-with-wifi-and-touch-screen-p2880-in-pakistan

[/quote]

Sorry I didn’t get that. Which claim are you referring to?

Its a great development Indians made! but the quality of this tablet is worst than Chinese Gadgets