Increase wireless area

Hi

i am living in hostel at lahore.there is wireless signal in the center but as i move to the hostel signals end and if i go to roof top, very weak signal comes, anyone knows a device or something or any way to get signal pulled from there? ive heard of range extenders but not sure if they are availabe in pakistan or how they work so anyoneknows please tell me

Finally some one posted question. I'm looking for the solution too. My signal quality is very weak some times. Anybody knows the solution do let us know :D

There are lots of way to achieve it. Easiest and cheapest way is to get high gain antenna and replace both at AP and laptop/desktop (if it has external antenna). You can get high gain antenna from local computer market. Just screw out (with bare hand) your old antenna and screw in new one (it will be just few inches longer in length).

If it still doesn't solve your problem then you can try customize or directional antennas or add another AP or repeater.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

There are lots of way to achieve it. Easiest and cheapest way is to get high gain antenna and replace both at AP and laptop/desktop (if it has external antenna). You can get high gain antenna from local computer market. Just screw out (with bare hand) your old antenna and screw in new one (it will be just few inches longer in length).

If it still doesn’t solve your problem then you can try customize or directional antennas or add another AP or repeater.

[/quote]

good suggestions but explain them a lil more…

2nd how can high gain antenna be attached to laptop

3rd, are range extenders available in local market???

good suggestions but explain them a lil more
[/quote]

Which one?

2nd how can high gain antenna be attached to laptop
[/quote]

If it has external antenna, you can. If it has built-in internal antenna then you can not.

3rd, are range extenders available in local market???
[/quote]

What do you mean by range extender? High gain antenna or repeater or another AP or customized directional antenna?

I have a wireless modem provided by World Call. I cant modify it. Is there anything I can attach to my PC so that I can get some better signals!! I already have Wireless USB of realtek but signals some times get so week !! Currently getting 50/60% signals !!!

Which one?

If it has external antenna, you can. If it has built-in internal antenna then you can not.

What do you mean by range extender? High gain antenna or repeater or another AP or customized directional antenna?

[/quote]

range extender is another name for Repeater I am sure.If you search google, there comes many under range extenders those claim to pull out signals from the Acess Point or Main Wireless Router…So I was wondering if these range extenders are available in Pakistani market? In lahore or Isl / rwp …coz i cant go to karachi for that :)

My laptop has built in antenna so im sure cant attach high gain antenna to it so im more interested to find range extenders sort of thing…

Also has anyone here ever used repeater or range extenders???

^ Repeater doesn't pull signals. It just repeat signals between your laptop and AP. I haven't use it. But I read some article that it may or may not work according to your need. You can try asking for it in local computer market of your city.

You can add another AP, new AP will work as repeater. But it depends on APs. Some APs automatically do this but some need configuration to do it and some may not do it.

By the way, can you guess how far is the distance of roof and AP (and how many walls and roofs are in-between)?

Do you have B or G or N? I have G and I have tested it and it gives me 100 feet working range (in-between one roof and 2 walls). N is newer format and gives far more distance (many times) than B and G.

^ Repeater doesn’t pull signals. It just repeat signals between your laptop and AP. I haven’t use it. But I read some article that it may or may not work according to your need. You can try asking for it in local computer market of your city.

You can add another AP, new AP will work as repeater. But it depends on APs. Some APs automatically do this but some need configuration to do it and some may not do it.

By the way, can you guess how far is the distance of roof and AP (and how many walls and roofs are in-between)?

Do you have B or G or N? I have G and I have tested it and it gives me 100 feet working range (in-between one roof and 2 walls). N is newer format and gives far more distance (many times) than B and G.

[/quote]

well then range extenders and repeaters are two different things i suppose. I have searched google ’ range extenders ’ and there showed up couple from Dlink and other brands those can pull wireless signals