Hybrid setup (UPS + Solar)

According the morningstar's Prostar manual

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Auxiliary Generators: Engine generators and other sources of power may be

connected directly to the battery for charging. It is not necessary to disconnect the
ProStar from the battery. However, do not use the ProStar to regulate these other
sources of power
[/quote]

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/PS2.IOM_.English.EN_.021.pdf

So this justify the hybrid setup ??

Please explain further, your use of the word JUSTIFY.

Aurangzeb

What the? this is not... i cant even...

its only :wacko: :blink: a CC ..

[quote=“aurangzebhaque, post:2, topic:21080”]

Please explain further, your use of the word JUSTIFY.

Aurangzeb

[/quote]

I meant this according to the manual you can charge the same battery using 2 different sources e.g

UPS + Solar

or

Generator + Solar

without any headache.

and it will not void any warranty...

[quote="farhan_ds, post:3, topic:21080"]

What the? this is not... i cant even...

its only :wacko: :blink: a CC ..

[/quote]

it clearly mentions

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Auxiliary Generators: Engine generators and other sources of power may be

connected directly to the battery for charging. It is not necessary to disconnect the
ProStar from the battery. However, do not use the ProStar to regulate these other
sources of power
[/quote]

Well generally it should not be a problem. only the FLOAT level be a point to consider as both sources will try to maintain without any sync between them. If you are always using the battery then surely after sunset, it is going to come down.

I myself now using TS MPPT-45 along with the built-in charger of inverter and having no problem.

[quote=“yousaf465, post:, topic:”]

According the morningstar's Prostar manual

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/PS2.IOM_.English.EN_.021.pdf

So this justify the hybrid setup ??

[/quote]

Misunderstanding ensued.. Generally when the word hybrid is spoken in solar setups it usually refers to hybrid inverters .. since you mentioned the CC only the confusion was automatically implied..

as for the actual query.. you can use multiple sources to charge your batteries.. consider them external chargers.just like using charger with ups just provides extra amps at the cost of bit more extra voltage, the same way a CC can be used with a UPS and any other source.. generators are highly unstable and unreliable power source for such sensitive equipment so other than them, UPS can easily be used to charge batteries..

for example, i have 2 APC hooked with solar on same set of batteries.. since these batteries can take an initial charge of 60Amps, the combined amps of all 3 are still less than what the batteries can absorb.,however i dont use both apc at same time.. just one for charging at night.. till i get further panels to increase solar source i use the apc to partially charge the batteries even after 7-8 hours of combined charging.

PS; local UPS should not be used at all for dual charging since they are Dumb as Faak, so expect blown bateries soon...

what is the size of your batteries ? and of your solar array ?

[quote="farhan_ds, post:6, topic:21080"]

Misunderstanding ensued.. Generally when the word hybrid is spoken in solar setups it usually refers to hybrid inverters .. since you mentioned the CC only the confusion was automatically implied..

as for the actual query.. you can use multiple sources to charge your batteries.. consider them external chargers.just like using charger with ups just provides extra amps at the cost of bit more extra voltage, the same way a CC can be used with a UPS and any other source.. generators are highly unstable and unreliable power source for such sensitive equipment so other than them, UPS can easily be used to charge batteries..

for example, i have 2 APC hooked with solar on same set of batteries.. since these batteries can take an initial charge of 60Amps, the combined amps of all 3 are still less than what the batteries can absorb.,however i dont use both apc at same time.. just one for charging at night.. till i get further panels to increase solar source i use the apc to partially charge the batteries even after 7-8 hours of combined charging.

PS; local UPS should not be used at all for dual charging since they are Dumb as Faak, so expect blown bateries soon...

[/quote]

200AH.

1140W.