How to use ptcl DSL wifi 2KM far?

Hi all,

i am new here and I want to know about ptcl wifi modem. I teach in a school and i want to use my personal ptcl dsl connection in school. My school is 1.5 or max 2KM far from home and i want to know how to increase wifi signal range to that point? I can not get a new connection for school as there is no ptcl coverage. I came to know there are some devices which use to connect and you can increase the range but please can any one explain in detail. Thanks. How much that will cost me and what about signal quality then?

I am hoping i will get perfect answer here.

Thank you.

Saima

Wifi can't really go far beyond - the most I've seen is that one access point covers a 20 meter radius.

2 km > 2000 m... therefore, 2000m / 20 meters per wifi point = 100 access points.

If each access point is approx ~2000 rupees, then 100 x 2000 = 20,000.

Which, in my opinion, is not worth it. You might as well stick to wimax.

[quote=“saima94, post:, topic:”]

Hi all,

i am new here and I want to know about ptcl wifi modem. I teach in a school and i want to use my personal ptcl dsl connection in school. My school is 1.5 or max 2KM far from home and i want to know how to increase wifi signal range to that point? I can not get a new connection for school as there is no ptcl coverage. I came to know there are some devices which use to connect and you can increase the range but please can any one explain in detail. Thanks. How much that will cost me and what about signal quality then?

I am hoping i will get perfect answer here.

Thank you.

Saima

[/quote]

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WA5210G#over

Two such routers will be required. One costs around Rs 7000.

Here's the simplest, and cheapest wireless solution.

You must have a decent cellphone right? Well, buy a zong sim (or don't buy if you already have one) & subscribe to their 2GB package for 200 rupees + tax, and use it to browse the Internet at your school.

Note:

* The speed will be slower than DSL, but will be good enough for casual browsing, and will be suitable for school use.

* If you don't have a decent cellphone, or if you don't want to use your own cellphone for this purpose, then you can buy a cheap used cellphone with EDGE technology for about 2000 to 3000.

* If you need more bandwidth than 2GB, then you can subscribe to 4GB package for rupees 400 + tax or Unlimited package for rupees 1000 + tax.

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-ANT2424B

[quote=“blogger, post:3, topic:16364”]

[/quote]

For this device you need license from PTA but this device actually works and i have seen it working fine.

[quote=“blogger, post:3, topic:16364”]

[/quote][quote=“suleman205, post:6, topic:16364”]

For this device you need license from PTA but this device actually works and i have seen it working fine.

[/quote]

Nope, you don’t. Just don’t tell anybody. B)

Well, if you want to use it for commercial purposes, you need a license. Otherwise, it is fine.

(High gain directional antenna can be used with it. So, then you need just one router/access point of this type.)

Actually, license is required for technologies like GSM, EV-DO, CDMA, Wi-Max but not for WIFI, if I am not wrong.

This router can also be used with high gain directional antenna: http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?categoryid=1246&model=TL-WA5110G#over

High gain directional antenna: http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-ANT2424B#over

While the ISM bands are free for certain uses, there are power restrictions in effect over those bands. When adding a directional antenna, you aren't tweaking the output power. It can be thought of as just focusing the already present energy into a narrow cone so it goes out farther. Think of it as partially covering/pinching a water pipe to make the water stream go farther.

The access point router which I have mentioned above (TL-WA5210G)produces radiations of only 7.2 watts. So, I do not think it infringes any laws stated in books.

[quote=“blogger, post:11, topic:16364”]

The access point router which I have mentioned above (TL-WA5210G)produces radiations of only 7.2 watts. So, I do not think it infringes any laws stated in books.

[/quote]

7.2W? That’s way too high. :huh:

They should use lower power and a Yagi instead.

[quote=“Asad, post:12, topic:16364”]

[/quote]

Actually, the router consumes such power. (input: 12 volts DC plus 1.0 ampere current).

[quote=“Asad, post:12, topic:16364”]

[/quote][quote=“blogger, post:13, topic:16364”]

Actually, the router consumes such power. (input 12 volts DC plus 1.0 ampere current).

[/quote]

Radiations could be of 3-4 watts. Not sure. 7.2 watts is the total power consumed by this access point router.

[quote=“blogger, post:14, topic:16364”]

Radiations could be of 3-4 watts. Not sure. 7.2 watts is the total power consumed by this access point router.

[/quote]

hmmmm… i don’t get the relation between power cosumption wattage of the device got to do with transmitting wattage of signal strength??? its like apple and oranges…

to OP you need 3 watt boost, 2 watt can easily provide 2 km if its open field, give 1 extra wattfor weather fluctuation 3 watts boost is all you need. any router would do, you investment should only be at the the right antenna and 3 watts RF amplifier.

Does anybody know what power radiations of telecom towers have? (in Watts)

[quote=“blogger, post:13, topic:16364”]

Actually, the router consumes such power. (input: 12 volts DC plus 1.0 ampere current).

[/quote]

Ah! I thought what you stated was RF output/radiated power. ^_^

[quote=“kamran1x1, post:15, topic:16364”]

to OP you need 3 watt boost, 2 watt can easily provide 2 km if its open field, give 1 extra wattfor weather fluctuation 3 watts boost is all you need. any router would do, you investment should only be at the the right antenna and 3 watts RF amplifier.
[/quote]

like in my previous post i told you you need three watts RF boost below is the experiment with 1 watt boost.

- any wifi router would do.

- like i said before research and buy right antenna and RF amplifier.

- video experiment shows 1 watt test which gives him 3/4 of mile which equals to little more than 1 kilometer so like i said before 2 watts for 2 kilometer in open field/direct line of sight.

- give 1 extra watt for weather fluctuation, like exteme rainy, windy or cloudy day.

wirless routers are so freaking expensive. china needs to step up! how much that 50km one costs? does it actually work? will i be able to do lan gaming with my friend who lives 25km away?