How to transform Serial Programmer to USB?

Hi,

Guys I have an 8051 serial programmer mainly used for 89c51 uC programming. Now the problem is I'm unable to use it with my lappy, because of serial port. I need to get the existing one transformed to a USB one. I need to TRANSFORM it, don't advise me to buy a USB one....it costs around 4k.

try usb to serial converter

http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Serial.html

In local market they are cheaply available upto PKR 100. Although i never used them personally.

[quote=", post:2, topic:16351"]

try usb to serial converter

http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Serial.html

In local market they are cheaply available upto PKR 100. Although i never used them personally.

[/quote]

the guy from whom i got the serial programmer and google keeps on telling me it wont work…

USB-Serial converters don't emulate the RS-232 in a true fashion. However it depends upon the USB-RS-232 chip inside the converter. FTDI chips are better but you never know which one is inside the converter.

For this very reason, I had to buy a Dell Latitude E5500 laptop last year, the only available (brand new at that time) model offering true COM port.

You can try the USB to serial converter. It may or may not work.

Alternatively, you might want to look into DIY USB programmers. Search online for the various options.

Personally, I almost exclusively use USB based programmers for this exact reason. When one needs to program a chip while out of a proper lab/workplace setting, the USB programmers come in handy.

hmm so in your experience you had to bow down and had to buy USB programmer. The thing is only a little reconfiguration and tweaking can change the whole crappy old programmer to a real good one...Although I've got the USB ISP's schematics but I really need a way to get my current one changed to USB one..!

My first microcontroller programmer was a USB one Then the second one was also USB. Same with third one. I also saw that newer laptops did not have a serial port so I stuck with it.

hmm...now look at this simple USB programmer...does it looks like it worth 3-4K...could you help me in making my own...wat could be the apparent ingredients for this.

280120111434.jpg

I have a small question and perhaps a suggestion. Why are you using old controllers like the 89c51? Why don't you consider new variations like the AT Mega 168? I don't know the difference in cost but a Mega 168 cost me Rs 700 in Saddar, Karachi. Secondly, you should consider a programmer like the AVR Dragon or AVR ISP. The advantage is that it will allow you to program the chip while it's in the circuit. You have just have to include a ISP header. All of these modern programmers are USB.

If you use an even more advanced controller like, say, AT Mega 1284 you can just JTAG for programming and debugging. The advantage with JTAG is that you can actually debug your code line-by-line. A huge advantage over old programmers which only offered ZIF sockets for programming and you had to physically take the chip out of the system. A very nasty way of doing things - why frustrate yourself? You will only lose interest if you keep troubleshooting and not innovating.

Thirdly, consider doing SMD stuff. Through-hole is, effectively, 80s electronics. Open up your original Playstation - even that had SMD electronics. The ATARI, however, had through-hole. SMD will allow you to have more options when choosing components, they use less space and more stable mechanically. Soldering 0.8mm TQFP chips isn't hard, it just takes some practice. It's a one-time investment but it should make your life easier.

For what it's worth: I've never programmed or even learned to program on a 8051. I started with a AT Mega 168 and a AVR ISP programmer. In m current project I'm using a Mega 128 and programming it via JTAG.

Don't consider a DIY programmer. Why? Well, if something goes wrong and IT WILL go wrong, you're only going to be wondering "well is it my programmer that's malfunctioning or the my chip in the circuit or something else?" Not what you need when you're troubleshooting a difficult problem.

I found this AVR ISP programmer for Rs. 1100. It's not an original Atmel product but worth a try:

http://digipak.org/z...&products_id=31

And here's a AVR Mega 168 for Rs. 350: http://digipak.org/z...&products_id=39

Looks like those Saddar people swindled me. Oh well, I buy stuff online now anyway!

[quote=“Mazahyr, post:8, topic:16351”]

hmm…now look at this simple USB programmer…does it looks like it worth 3-4K…could you help me in making my own…wat could be the apparent ingredients for this.

[/quote]

Is this really a USB programmer ? I don’t see any USB-UART or USB-TTL bridge chip on it. Is there some surface mount component on the downside of the board ?

From the top side, it looks like total cost on this board is around Rs.400-500 only, but you know that no one sells products at cost only. In market, there are cheap Chinese universal programmers with the brand name Xeltek. Few years ago, I bought one and it is still working good. I remember it was at Rs.7,000 or so at that time. Now it is available in USB version, price might have increased.

Why don’t you use ISP version of 8051 like AT89S51 which is In System Programmable, you will only need a cable to connect to your target board.

PS: In your original post, you stated that your current programmer is RS-232 based but the picture you posted does not have any component related to RS-232, rather I can see a USB ‘B’ type connector. Did you finally bought a USB version ?

[quote=", post:10, topic:16351"]

Is this really a USB programmer ? I don’t see any USB-UART or USB-TTL bridge chip on it. Is there some surface mount component on the downside of the board ?

From the top side, it looks like total cost on this board is around Rs.400-500 only, but you know that no one sells products at cost only. In market, there are cheap Chinese universal programmers with the brand name Xeltek. Few years ago, I bought one and it is still working good. I remember it was at Rs.7,000 or so at that time. Now it is available in USB version, price might have increased.

Why don’t you use ISP version of 8051 like AT89S51 which is In System Programmable, you will only need a cable to connect to your target board.

PS: In your original post, you stated that your current programmer is RS-232 based but the picture you posted does not have any component related to RS-232, rather I can see a USB ‘B’ type connector. Did you finally bought a USB version ?

[/quote]

no! I haven’t got the USB one. its one of those DIY programmers. I actual would prefer ISPs but i haven’t worked with them as of yet. They sure are convenient in use and smarter too. Specially the one PyschedelicBreakfast mentioned. Although right now i’m at a very beginning level of these uC and their coding but in a year or 2 I’ll have to work with them quite extensively. So to get hands on in early stages in right direction with the is the main goal here.

How about something like this for under US$10 (including shipping)?

USBasp AVR Programming Device

Read the manual for device compatibility info.

I would recommend ditching 89xx controllers and going directly to the better AVR or Microchip controllers.

ohkay i'm back with spare time to work on small uC projects...First i'll be doing few more projects with 8051 family...Could u guys guide me about the ISP thingy...?As soon as i'm done with 2 of em i'll jump to PIC18f4520 or maybe ATMEGA.

What do you want guidance about with ISP/ICSP?

Forget 8051. Start off with the cheaper PIC controllers and make your way from there.

There isn't much to ISP. You'll have 6 wires for an AVR and just connect them according to the datasheet.

NOTE: Previously ISP was a 10-pin connector. It's a 6 pin connector now.