How to transfer files over a LAN?

The topic subject is the question guys. How can i setup my network to allow me to transfer large and big files across the LAN? Out of several attempts i've only managed to set it up once and that too was quite a while ago.

There are two computers on the network. One running Windows XP and one on Windows Vista. The network is designed like this:

Modem Ethernet Wire into a Switch (Baynet) which then splits the line. One ethernet wire goes to the XP PC and the other to the Vista PC.

Thanks alot in advance :)

Wired LAN networking in a pain in the backside and too slow for transfering large media files on a regular basis. It's great however for sharing small files, playing games or sharing printers or work data.

When I have to transfer small files I use a wireless lan but for big files I just take out the hard drive from one pc put it in the other and copy. It takes 10 % of the time.

Turn off your antivirus/firewalls go to Control Panel>network and sharing center>and turn everything on. Make sure your network setting is set to private. Click view computers and devices and you should be able to see your XP machine. On the XP machines set all the folders that you want to share and you'll be able to see them in Vista. Copy paste and you're done.

^ while that may be true for a 100mbit network

but if you have a gigabit network at home even large files is not a problem

Both computers are have gigabit ethernet ports though i dont know if i need a special wire for those to work at that speed :\

And Abbas, from the XP side, do i have to do anything to send files from over there to the Computer?

^ you dont need a special wire for it normal cat-5 e cables work just fine

Oh awesome. Thats nice to know. Thanks :)

and get a cross over cable made from somewhere and assign both PCs an IP in the same subnet e.g 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2

its not even slow on 100mbit lan

i once made lan bw two pc via my modem to pc ethrnet wire wich had only four wires in it and rest of pins were empty and it gave me abt

90mbit/sec speed and i also transferd big files and there was no prob..

Yeah its not that slow! by big i think abbas meant 40-50 GB of files if so he is right

True I was transferring about 250 GB of data. The estimated time to complete was 14 hours on the LAN and took about 45 mins with HD to HD.

YEah both computers are allready in the same subnet. And my question still stands guys, What do i have to do from the XP side so i can send files from there that are on my vista machine?

Haven't tried it myself but the basics would be to set both PCs in the same workgroup e.g MSHOME and then browsing for local PCs in My Network Places-->View Workgroup Computers

My advice would be to either properly configure or disable firewall on both computers. vista firewall is a real pain. And not just the windows firewall, disable any third party firewall u might have (most antivirus and internet security programs come with frewalls). if you cant see the PCs in network places, try directly accessing it by typing \\hostname or \\ipaddress in Start-->run

u hav to make those folders or drives shared frm xp

by just going in their properties and change it

then it wud b available in my network places at other systems in lan

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

My advice would be to either properly configure or disable firewall on both computers. vista firewall is a real pain. And not just the windows firewall, disable any third party firewall u might have (most antivirus and internet security programs come with frewalls). if you cant see the PCs in network places, try directly accessing it by typing \hostname or \ipaddress in Start–>run
[/quote]

disabling firewall is not sound advice. Windows XP firewall has an exception option where one can enable sharing option. I have enabled in on my home network and file transfer is working fine without disabling the firewall.

yeah disabling firewall is dangerous. i forgot to mention that.