How to run MS-DOS without CD-Rom?

I have an old laptop with no cd rom and windows xp installed in it.

I wish to install Windows ME, but cant execute the set-up frm within XP. The setup says to execute it frm Dos.

I dun have a cdrom so how to get in dos?

Please....Any1?????

I am affraid you cannot do so. First of all, XP doesn't have pure dos within it. That is because it is not setup on MSDOS like previous windows version. So I am 99 percent sure you cannot load pure MSDOS via XP. The only way to do so is to bot via a dos diskette which you already know.

Secondly, even if you managed to do so, the Installatoin of Windows ME will corrupt your XP. You can only install newer version of OS on the older one, not the older one on the newer one. General that is the rule.

However I thought a little on this problem. Some tools provide you a way to select a partition to boot from, those software may be helpful in your case. May be you can make a drive other than C: boot able and then try to install windows me on it. The selection software will provide you a choice at start up to change boot drive. That is only an idea though. Best of luck

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I have an old laptop with no cd rom and windows xp installed in it.

I wish to install Windows ME, but cant execute the set-up frm within XP. The setup says to execute it frm Dos.

I dun have a cdrom so how to get in dos?

[/quote]

Why would you like to down-grade to Windows ME? Windows XP is better than Windows ME.

If you really want to down-grade then go to Windows 98 SE. Get a bootable CD-ROM disc of Windows 98 SE. Boot from that CD-ROM disc, format Windows XP HDD to FAT32. Then install Windows 98 SE from setup (from bootable disc).

You need bootable Windows 98 SE Setup CD-ROM disc. Don’t try to run setup within Windows XP.

Don’t go towards Windows ME. It’s pain in neck.

It is also possible to boot from a usb flash drive [floppy emulation mode]. If your laptop supports it then you can use this method to boot into dos and install whatever you want.

Will try booting frm flash drive

Found a tutorial on da internet