How to reduce Firefox memory consumption

..yeah found this tip in another forum, dunno if it really works..

First, type about:config in the Firefox address bar. You will see a list, search for browser.sessionhistory.max_entries, click and change the value from 50 to something between 5-10.

Explanation:

Averagely we surf less than 5 of the websites we previously surfed before, there is no need to usage up that much memory (which is 50 by default)

well it wont work coz that isn't saved in memory :)

but anyone tried?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

well it wont work coz that isn’t saved in memory :)

but anyone tried?

[/quote]

i did

and it worked cut memory consumption by about 25%

but i have to say the new firefox 3 betas consume much less memory even after this tweek

i did

and it worked cut memory consumption by about 25%

but i have to say the new firefox 3 betas consume much less memory even after this tweek

[/quote]

i didnt feel any difference

btw what does this config command does?

i didnt feel any difference

btw what does this config command does?

[/quote]

about;config is used to configure diffrent parameters of firefox

like how many connections it makes or how many http requests it sends stuff like that

guys i got a genuine idea to reduce ff memory consumption to zero..

Gues how?

"dont use firefox"

i knw its lame but do try it and tel me results

guys i got a genuine idea to reduce ff memory consumption to zero…

Gues how?

"dont use firefox"

[/quote]

well firefox is the only browser i have installed so ur solution wont work for me

Gues how?

"dont use firefox"

[/quote]

Why would you even bother writing that? Its not funny, its not witty. What a complete waste of your and everyone elses time…geez…

Gues how?

"dont use firefox"

[/quote]

Of the many browsers i have tried, FF seems to be the best to handle all sorts of web pages, scripts, flash, Java and many others and is virtually the most compatible with all sorts of sites and pages out there.

about;config is used to configure diffrent parameters of firefox

like how many connections it makes or how many http requests it sends stuff like that

[/quote]

ya i know about about:config i want to know that specific parameter i.e browser.sessionhistory.max_entries

i use firefox because of it flexibility you can customize it

ya i know about about:config i want to know that specific parameter i.e browser.sessionhistory.max_entries
[/quote]

by default firefox stores the last 50 pages u visited in ur ram now this includes everythin images text everythin thats on the page

what this config does is that instead of firefox storin 50 pages it makes it store 5 pages so less memory used

by default firefox stores the last 50 pages u visited in ur ram now this includes everythin images text everythin thats on the page

what this config does is that instead of firefox storin 50 pages it makes it store 5 pages so less memory used

[/quote]

oh now i get it

will see the mem usage in the long run

Of the many browsers i have tried, FF seems to be the best to handle all sorts of web pages, scripts, flash, Java and many others and is virtually the most compatible with all sorts of sites and pages out there.

[/quote]

wel thats true that ff iz the best browser out…

None can compete it due to its flexibility and many extentions to cuztomise it.

Hmmm. Seems like my idea didnt worked!

as someone already mentioned, firefox 3 has much smaller memory footprint...so just try that...i hear the latest beta is stable enough...

http://blog.pavlov.net/2008/03/11/firefox-3-memory-usage/

If Firefox works properly which it is working for me, then I don't care how much memory it takes. I got 2GB RAM anyway. Paid for it so it better be used!

I think the main problem with FF is memory "leaking," that is, too much consumption when it stays running for a while...

It was really bad with 512 ram, but with 1gb it works okay. If it does get skippy, I think a quick restart (of firefox, not the computer) would help.

I think the main problem with FF is memory “leaking,” that is, too much consumption when it stays running for a while…

It was really bad with 512 ram, but with 1gb it works okay. If it does get skippy, I think a quick restart (of firefox, not the computer) would help.

[/quote]

Firefox developers have mentioned time and again that it’s not the trite term “memory leak” which is the cause of the issue, but it’s the cache. Firefox caches a lot of visited website’s data and that’s what increases its memory consumption. It has to be done in order to provider quicker browsing. They fix any real memory leaks they come across as they release new versions.

I think the main problem with FF is memory “leaking,” that is, too much consumption when it stays running for a while…

[/quote]

ya if your firefox browser is using too much ram just end the process firefox.exe and start firefox again and restore the session

Firefox developers have mentioned time and again that it’s not the trite term “memory leak” which is the cause of the issue, but it’s the cache. Firefox caches a lot of visited website’s data and that’s what increases its memory consumption. It has to be done in order to provider quicker browsing. They fix any real memory leaks they come across as they release new versions.

[/quote]

ya and firefox cache management is poor IMO