How to protect devices from 440 volts?

Yet in my life, with three different houses at different locations, I have faced around 5+ times 440 volts that have burned devices. Today, alas, it happened again and I lost some valuable electrical devices. According to law of Pakistan, I can't sue WAPDA for it :(

This time I had tried to protect with circuit breakers and voltage stabilizer but none could saved from 440 volts.

I have around 30+ circuit breakers for each electricity line in my home, measured to line's load. They work correctly (if some wire is short they turn off). I have voltage stabilizer and UPS to give proper voltage. But none worked against 440 volts.

Now first question is, what is exactly 440 volts? AFAIK, it means positive in both line (negative and positive). Correct me if I am wrong.

Second and most important question is how to protect from 440 volts? Is there some kind of circuit breaker that will trip (break the circuit) if there is positive in negative line (440 volts)?

Please share your knowledge and information on how you protect your home's electrical devices from 440 volts?

Moreover, do anyone of you know a proven way to open (break) the circuit automatically when it detects 440 volts?

Thank you for your time for reading this. Your replies are most welcome.

no onehas answered? why?

well get something tht can convert 440 to 220 :P sorry but i dont know.

imo you can protect your computer and other few thngs but what about other things? you cant get stablizers etc etc for everything. no one can... first of all why is this happening? get your main line checked. mixing copper and silver results in these voltages. will burn your split ac for sure. and yes its wapdas fault.

How the hell are you getting 440 volts? Are your phases connected OK and are they all giving correct voltage independently of the others?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

According to law of Pakistan, I can’t sue WAPDA for it :(
[/quote]

Seriously? :o

Don't know anything about 440 volts

I think its some problem with your own inner circuits or something because I never heard anyone else facing this problem

you cant get stablizers etc etc for everything.
[/quote]

My heavy duty voltage stabilizers are burned due to 440 volts. Though, some protected their devices but some didn’t.

are you sure that its 440 and not 420?

are you sure that its 440 and not 420?
[/quote]

I can’t be sure. I am talking in local words when I say “440 volts”. I don’t have anything to measure it. Whatever it was it burned (baked) my electrical devices.

Don’t know anything about 440 volts

I think its some problem with your own inner circuits or something because I never heard anyone else facing this problem

[/quote]

Three different houses and still its inner circuit? :)

By the way, I did have heard it many times. Some 7 or 8 years back, it happened to my uncle who lives in F7 Islamabad. His TV, refrigerator, deep freezer and what-not got burned.

How the hell are you getting 440 volts? Are your phases connected OK and are they all giving correct voltage independently of the others?
[/quote]

That’s a bit mystery for me. I called up WAPDA many times and their team visited my home twice and they inspected wires.

WAPDA technician (line-man) want me to replace all the wire from meter to my home’s circuit board and he gave me the reason “it’s too old” and I argue what about wires of 20+ years old houses in this same street but he kept to line that I should replace the wire.

Problem is that it’s of about 300+ feet long (from meter to circuit board) of very expensive wire. Still there is no surety that it (440 volts) won’t happened again. He told me that it may cost around 50+ to 70+ (maybe more). :(

God save me from them.

^ Replace the wire then....

^ I am waiting for "second" opinion before doing that. I am still not satisfied with reason because why all of a sudden my wire becomes "bad".

However, my question is still there, how to protect from accidental 440 volts?

You need voltage regulation too...

Have you considered the possibility of double load getting momentarily to your line because of wet weather/soil (If in Islamabad), or perhaps due to lightning strikes?.

440 Volts wow, i dont even get a 220 :(

dear wampyr. After reading your description, this can happen due to two reasons.

1. if you have a three phase meter connection, the ground is breaking from some where between your house to the mains transformer. In this case, i suggest you should consider changing your cable between your house to the mains transformer.

2. The source cables on the poles of mains transformer in your area are lose and are touching with one another due to many reason, like wind, and most important reason, kites (Patang, Gudda) stuck with the wires. In this case, this might not be 440, it can be 1kv or 2kv or even 11kv in this case. If your home appliances are burned badly then this probably this is the case.

remember 440 volts can burn your instruments but your circuit breakers are more likely to trip but if the voltage are over 1K then your circuit breakers wont trip since it will take milliseconds to burn your home appliances.

I personally think you are victim of first scenario because in second scenario, other people from same mains transformer will also got affected and you should not be alone. If only you have such problem in your area and no neighbour have such problem then consider changing your mains cable.

You need voltage regulation too…
[/quote]

I had voltage stabilizers (all got burned). Voltage Regulator will be something else?

Have you considered the possibility of double load getting momentarily to your line because of wet weather/soil (If in Islamabad), or perhaps due to lightning strikes?.
[/quote]

It was momentarily and enough to burn devices. It was not lighting strike because sky was clear and if it was lighting it would be much worse.

440 Volts wow, i dont even get a 220 :(
[/quote]

Lucky you. Don’t wish for 440 volts :)