How to partition an existing drive without formatting

I've this big 50GB drive where I've installed Windows, and I want to divide it into two partitions as Windows partition has to be formatted every once in a while and so the rest of the drive space is rendered useless. Is there a way to partition this drive into two smaller ones WITHOUT formatting it first?

I think there would be a way but you would have to defragment first and then partition but it really is better to do it while installing windows (since you do it so often anyway next time just partition it)

Its possible through software. Try Partition Magic, if not then Acronis Partition Expert

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Its possible through software. Try Partition Magic, if not then Acronis Partition Expert
[/quote]

or if u want a free tool which requires no operating system try Gparted

[/quote]

Excellent! Partition Expert is what I needed. Now just need to get my hands on its full version.

Thanks executionist.

[/quote]

+1 In that order, Partition Magic for Xp and Acronis Disk Director Suite 10 for vista. I normally don’t download software from public trackers because of the spyware and viruses. I use Funfile, there all the software is checked and tested before being added to the private tracker. I have one invite left, if you want I can send it to you.

I just downloaded Acronis from there myself yesterday.

ya partition magic will do

shrink partition would do

funfile.org is open for registrations ... try registering yourself ... http://www.funfile.org/signup.php

and http://pretome.net/signup.php is also open ... some admin/mods of funfile left and opened pretome ... check that too...

funfile.org is open for registrations … try registering yourself … http://www.funfile.org/signup.php

and http://pretome.net/signup.php is also open … some admin/mods of funfile left and opened pretome … check that too…

[/quote]

Thanks buddy i got singup funfile.org

U can use GParted LiveCD

usually it works out of the box, but on my PC,i had to manually specify the video driver.

Its Partition Magic on steroids

Be careful. I lost a 5GB partition once using Partition Magic and it was unrecoverable. Those were the days when 20GB HDDs were the norm.

Be careful. I lost a 5GB partition once using Partition Magic and it was unrecoverable. Those were the days when 20GB HDDs were the norm.
[/quote]

how?

I've lost data using Partition Magic v. 8.0 myself. I was trying to merge two partitions with my data backed up on a third. PM managed to wreck the third partition which it wasn't supposed to handle at all. So my advice is do NOT try any repartitioning unless you have your data backed up as I had, and if you do then you can just reformat and repartition during the Windows reinstall anyway.

Abbas, if you've got that invite left, can u plz send it at abbasjin ate-the-rat-of gmail DOUBT com

it looks like thier user-quota is full and cant sign up through the regular way.

how?

[/quote]

I am not sure after all this time. I was either trying to merge partitions or divide an existing one…

Partition magic can sometimes do weird stuff to your partitions including wiping them out completely! I'd suggest tampering around with them with softwares like PM only as a last resort and if you're not too finicky about the possible loss of data!

In fact this goes for other softwares besides PM. This 'live' partitioning just seems unnatural!

Well, I tried Acronis Disk Director and it screwed up my system. What I did was resize the Windows drive to 15GB and make a new drive out of the remaining 35GB. The Windows drive did get resized, but the rest of the space just vanished into thin air.

Not to mention I had to repair the Windows because nothing would work after the disastrous resizing. :(

Now how do I get back my unallocated 35GB space?

Now how do I get back my unallocated 35GB space?
[/quote]

just make a new partition in that unallocated space or merge that unallocated space to a current partition

dude just goto Administrative Tool > Computer Managment > Disk Managment....... this is a windows built in tool to edit your partitions and just creat a partition in the unallocated 35gb