How to overclock processor?

I have E5200 2.5Ghz with DG31PR mobo , can any one tell me how can i overclock my processor ???

I have a E5200 overclocked to 3.8 for testing and at 3.6 for 24/7 use. It's an excellent processor. I don't have time right now, I'll look up your board specs later today and tell you accordingly.

Is it safe to overclock [if i make sure that temp. does not increase much] ?

Don't jump to overclock processor. If you don't know things correctly then you can ruin (bake) your processor with seconds.

You'll need adequate cooling to keep it at steady average temperature.

Furthermore, check your motherboard's manual. Your motherboard should allow you to set clock-speed in BIOS to allow overclocking.

Bro... Intel Mobo's don't have Over Clocking options.

I just looked up the DG31PR.. it's a intel micro atx board. Not much you can do with except run it at stock.

Overclocking is pretty much safe if you have a little idea about what you're doing. Always keep an eye on your temps and keep your expectations realistic.

That said it's not easy to burn out a Intel core processor. All of them have throttling which is in a nutshell a emergency brake the processor turns on to stop heat above it's maximum capacity, but try and keep your processor as cool as possible.

If you motherboard is new, change it for a p35. The E5200 over clocks to 3.8 Ghz easy without much effort and it performs wonderfully at that speed. I sometimes feel it's faster than my Q6600 at 3 ghz.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I have a E5200 overclocked to 3.8 for testing and at 3.6 for 24/7 use. It’s an excellent processor. I don’t have time right now, I’ll look up your board specs later today and tell you accordingly.
[/quote]

on stock cooler?

Don’t jump to overclock processor. If you don’t know things correctly then you can ruin (bake) your processor with seconds.
[/quote]

Thats a complete fallacy.

Failsafes prevent CPUs from ruining nowadays. Ive messed around with my lil E2140 so much … 1.5+Vcores … crazy FSBs … the failsafes have always kicked in. If it heats up, it shuts down. If the FSB is too hgih, it wont boot and go back to stock next boot.

Failsafes prevent CPUs from ruining nowadays. Ive messed around with my lil E2140 so much … 1.5+Vcores … crazy FSBs … the failsafes have always kicked in. If it heats up, it shuts down. If the FSB is too hgih, it wont boot and go back to stock next boot.

[/quote]

Not only processor but motherboards that allow overclocking also protect for invalid values and overheating. That’s why I use ASUS motherboards for overclocking.

Here are some videos that you people might enjoy. They are about old processors but fun to watch for overclockers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqpPWlXq8Sc

[/quote]

i dn agree man…i lost my newly MSI mobo when trying to oc more than mobo is capable of…Thnx God it was replaced very next day coz i did this experiment on the same day i purchased this MOBO n processor

on stock cooler?
[/quote]

No on a Q6600 stock cooler. The E5200 stock gets you to 3.4 or 3.6 after that it start getting toasty.

i dn agree man...i lost my newly MSI mobo when trying to oc more than mobo is capable of...Thnx God it was replaced very next day coz i did this experiment on the same day i purchased this MOBO n processor

I doubt it was the overclocking that did it. More possiblity a faulty board to begin with. Ive used MSI, Gigabyte, Asus boards and they all are pretty stable. I did ruin a Gigabyte board, and that was because its northbridge fan failed and that overheated the motherboard. Even then it lasted quite a while before failing completely (2-3 weeks)

What exactly went wrong with your mobo ? The only time it would fail by overclocking is extra voltage and that would burn it. And warranty is never given on burned stuff.

i dn agree man…i lost my newly MSI mobo when trying to oc more than mobo is capable of…Thnx God it was replaced very next day coz i did this experiment on the same day i purchased this MOBO n processor

I doubt it was the overclocking that did it. More possiblity a faulty board to begin with. Ive used MSI, Gigabyte, Asus boards and they all are pretty stable. I did ruin a Gigabyte board, and that was because its northbridge fan failed and that overheated the motherboard. Even then it lasted quite a while before failing completely (2-3 weeks)

What exactly went wrong with your mobo ? The only time it would fail by overclocking is extra voltage and that would burn it. And warranty is never given on burned stuff.

[/quote]

yar i changed default fsb of 200mhz to 220mhz…it successfully booted at 2.42ghz frequency whereas default frequency was 2ghz…then i increased fsb frm 220mhz to 230mhz…it never booted again :) …reset the jumper to clear cmos…but didnt boot again…very next day took whole sys to shop…i didnt tell him abt this experiment…i askd him to chk my sys as…he askd me wht happened exactly i told him i shut down sys last nite… dnt knw wht happenend…after checking he told me “board urr gya ha…ma dosra board da deta hu”

thats true that mobo can become completely ruined if overclocked...Because the IC's used in the mobo can become overheated and their internal circuitry can be destroyed...

It is true that nowadays PC's become automatically shuts down when overheated but if it happens again and again,even then damage can happen!!!!

and one more thing...overheating for a second can cause capacitors to bulge and this would create great mess..

I have read a lot about ASUS mobos...they are quite compact..they can survive such damage though(capacitor bulging).....

In last few years, I didn't burn any processor or motherboard but I did baked one of my RAM module. Few years back, I overclocked my DDR RAM beyond SPD settings. My PC was running on super speed for many days. But after a month, one of the module survived but other failed :(

Some 8+ or so years back. I overclocked my extra PC (not my first PC that I overclocked). It was Pentium II. Even with extra cooling, after couple of days both motherboard and processor were ruin :( Not a good sight. Although, it was extra PC but I wasn't expecting that :|

I've been overclocking pretty much every computer I had since the past 15 years and never had any burn outs or issues.

Ram is the most sensitive part of your setup. If you clock the RAM and leave the Ram voltage at auto the system will burn them out. And most important DO NOT OVERCLOCK STOCK RAM i.e normal DDR2 sticks. They will burn burn burn in an instant.

Overclocking is all about patience and trying again and again. To get my Q6600 at 3.4 Ghz stable on air cooling I spent about 5 hours. I can even boot in at Vista and run it for a while at 3.6 Ghz but it crashes after a hours/minutes. I settled at 3.2 for 24/7 use and have been running it at since.

The only thing excess heat does is reduce the life of your processor. Most Intel processors are built to last at a minimum of 10 years and an average of 15 years. Who would be still using their processor in 4 years time let alone 10 or 15.

The new Core7i's are pretty much overclocking for dummies kinda setup's. All you have to do is pretty the turbo button and the system would overclock itself to a very decent level. You never have to seen Bios even. But for a person like me that's taking all the fun away.

I'll post a picture of my O'c if I can find one.

^I am very curious about corei7..

If ever I would have extra money,I 'll definitely go for it!!!!

^ I was reading a review about Core i7 in which the author has claimed that Core i7 actually overclock itself for few moments. He said that if you put a sudden short burden on processor like launching an application then Core i7 can overclock itself for brief time to speed up things. It's not constant but it will help to reduce launch time by instantaneous extra speed.

I can't confirm this claim until I get my hands on Core i7 :D

@dogarsahab

I was looking at some previous posts about corei7 and found the following of your posts

http://www.wiredpakistan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=62346#p62346

http://www.wiredpakistan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=62467#p62467

surprising, how quickly you have become curious about corei7 :)