How to mount USB stick in Red Hat Linux9?

AOA,

I am using Red Hat Linux9 at home for own practice. I want to mount my Kingston USB memory stick 256 MB in Linux.I have tryed the following codes .

#mkdir /mnt/usb

#mount /dev/sda1/mnt/usb

in google i saw the code

##mount -t vfat /dev/sda1/mnt/usb

It does't show any thing.Please guide me step by step so i may open my memory stick in Linux.

I shall be soooo much thankful.

sky

Well the first question which arises is why the HELL are you using Red Hat Linux 9?!?! That thing is 7 yrs old. Thats ancient in linux land. Upgrade to Fedora or Ubuntu (or some other new distro of your choice) and everything will work on its own.

Yeah, use fedora 10, i use this too. It's the best Linux-based OS.

About Fedora: Fedora is a Linux-based operating system that showcases the latest in free and open source software. Fedora is always free for anyone to use, modify, and distribute. It is built by people across the globe who work together as a community: the Fedora Project. The Fedora Project is open and anyone is welcome to join.

Visit their website: http://fedoraproject.org

well i also have Fedora 10 in office but in home PC which is old one i am using RH9 . to apply the basic command.No body gave me the answer of my question.

Mouning a CD or USB is a simple thing even u r using RH9.

Use the following commands with root access:

mkdir /mnt/usb
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb <--- Note the space between /dev/sda1 and /mnt/usb ```

See if it works. /dec/sda1/mnt/usb without the appropriate space in between is pretty much invalid.

If it doesn't work, repeat the procedure but plug the usb disk in the usb port before you boot the system

Alternatively:

1.create directory: mkdir /mnt/usb

2.edit fstab file :vi /etc/fstab OR gedit /etc/fstab OR nano /etc/fstab depending on what editor you have installed.

append: /dev/sda1 auto noauto,user,rw,exe 0 0

save and exit

3. Reboot

4.#mount /mnt/usb

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Alternatively:

1.create directory: mkdir /mnt/usb

2.edit fstab file :vi /etc/fstab OR gedit /etc/fstab OR nano /etc/fstab depending on what editor you have installed.

append: /dev/sda1 auto noauto,user,rw,exe 0 0

save and exit

3. Reboot

4.#mount /mnt/usb

[/quote]

What are you saying? I don’t think RH 9 supports USB flash drives. RH 9 probably doesn’t support USB period. He’ll have to recompile his kernel and go through hell to get it to work. He has to upgrade.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

AOA,

I am using Red Hat Linux9 at home for own practice. I want to mount my Kingston USB memory stick 256 MB in Linux.I have tryed the following codes .

#mkdir /mnt/usb

#mount /dev/sda1/mnt/usb

in google i saw the code

##mount -t vfat /dev/sda1/mnt/usb

It does’t show any thing.Please guide me step by step so i may open my memory stick in Linux.

I shall be soooo much thankful.

sky

[/quote]

Install a newer distribution. If your computer is old and slow then use a light weight window manager like xfce or icewm or something. Open source software developers have absolutely no sympathy for outdated software. They just don’t bother supporting it. You will face all sorts of problems if you persist with an outdated distro.

Anyway if you insist on trying then below is what I came up with. Looks like you will need to have USB support in the kernel. Kernel compiling anyone?

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/how-will-red-hat-9-detect-a-usb-flash-drive-480164/

http://www.google.com.pk/search?q=rh+9+usb+drive&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

RH 9 supports USB devices. I installed it some months back and IIRC, it recognized Kingston USB disk fine after the previously mentioned steps.

Thanks all of u for the support.I really appreciate.Well what about cd or DVD if we want to mount?

what need to change in the procedure for CD/DVD. I have installed Fedora 10 now.

Fedora 10 should be able to automatically mount and unmount CD/DVDs.