How to lock or password protect folder n files in xp easily

how to lock or password protect folder n files in xp easily

Download Folder Guard software.

folder guard is not a free software i need free soft ware dear

Zip them using WinZip, and then add password to the zipped file

Easiest and free way is to use to built-in Windows XP Professional's security to encrypt files and folders.

Right-click any folder or file, click on Properties, click on Advanced button and put a check-mark before "Encrypt data...". It will encrypt your data so that only you (username) can view/access that data.

But do remember to backup your Encryption key because in-case your Windows get corrupted or you reinstall your Windows then you'll loose access to encrypted files

there is no advance option in that folder which i have to lock or protect tell me how can i put my screen pics in this reply

If you want to lock the folder important in C: which has the path C:\important then simpy create a text file and typeren important important.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}Now save this text file as loc.bat create another text file and type in itren important.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D} importantNow save this text file as key.bat You can see 2 batch files loc and key. double click on loc.bat file and the folder impostant will change to control panel and you cannot view its contents. Press key.bat and you will get back your original folder.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

there is no advance option in that folder which i have to lock or protect tell me how can i put my screen pics in this reply
[/quote]

This option is only available when the File System of the drive is NTFS on which you want to encrypt folders

and thing to remember is. this gives the security to your encrypted files and folders till you are not logged on with the user name in which you did encrypt them.

means the Folder is accessible when any one logged on with that user name.

also consider the warning by wampyr about backing up or exporting the the encryption key.

and also remember, these key files can be used by anyone and can have access to your encrypted folders. keep it safe and apply password while exporting

If you want to lock the folder important in C: which has the path C:\important then simpy create a text file and typeren important important.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}Now save this text file as loc.bat create another text file and type in itren important.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D} importantNow save this text file as key.bat You can see 2 batch files loc and key. double click on loc.bat file and the folder impostant will change to control panel and you cannot view its contents. Press key.bat and you will get back your original folder.
[/quote]

this one is very old tweak. any one can change the folder name again to what ever like ‘newfoldername’ then this folder will be available to any one, if he also knows this tweak too.

TrueCrypt is best program you may check following link.

http://www.truecrypt.org/

tell me how can i put my screen pics in this reply
[/quote]

upload your pics to websites like tinypics or photobucket and use the codes explained in this link

http://www.wiredpakistan.com/forums/help.php?section=img

Lock xp folder is best, user friendly also very light.

I am using Advanced File Lock its very easy and have many options to lock folders and files protecting by pasword.

^If u have this with a serial key,then plz mail me...!!!

as per rules i cant post here

I am sending on Email

^u are talking about me???

If yes,then I didnt get your mail!!!!

Excuse Me!!!!

Y u don't Use attrib........

You may be used any third party tools to protect your folders but it is not recommended by Microsoft to use such kinds of tools. Using built-in windows (XP, 2003, Vista) Attrib commands option, you can change the attributes of a folder (Read only, Hidden and System attributes) and safe your data.

Follow the given steps to edit the folders attributes to secure your data:

To enable this feature, you will need to be logged into your computer with administrative rights.

Now create a folder that you want to hide on any computer drive. (For example, you have created a folder on D drive with the name Data)

First click on Start button and type CMD in Run box then press Ok button to display the windows command prompt.

cmdcommand1xs7.gif

Now type the command "attrib +s +h D:\Data" without quotation marks and press Enter button to execute it.

cmdattributesmv6.gif

This command will hide your "Data" folder from D drive and now you can verify it.

Any one cannot unhide this folder using windows "Show hidden files and folders" option also.

When you want to unhide this folder, again open command prompt and type the command "attrib -s -h D:\Data" and press Enter button. If you want to hide files then simply move all these files to this "Data" folder.

unhideattributes3nx1.gif

Allah Hafiz

Farhan

Nick

Bagga

^anyone can just uncheck "hide protected operating system files (Recomended)" in folder options to view/modify/delete/search for such files

^exactly

@ SuperMa5ter

U R Right bro.......But Most of the ppl don't know about this trick..... anyhow..... I shared a simple way to secure a private folder..... you can also invisible your folder.....