How to limit speed?

Hey guys, i Have a Maxcom connection at home which is shared in my whole house through my Wireless router. The problem is that when my brother or someone is using the connection wirelessly my game lags so to avoid this i want to cap his connection to get only 10-20kbps speed so that atleast my games wont lag and he can do his surfing or whatever :P.. So is this possible? If it is then can someone explain how?

No actually i want him to be online aswell because if he gets offline he eats my brain to turn it on lol.. So i have to turn it on.. I just want him to not use up my whole bandwidth. Maxcom is not that good for gaming if you start downloading anything the game lags like hell.

http://netlimiter.locktime-software.qarchive.org/

Trial version.

How do you use it? I dont get it.

Depends on your router setup options. For example, if you have a Linksys router, you can install Tomato (firmware) on it which gives you the option of enabling QoS through which you can allocate bandwidth and priority to different tasks.

Ahan, I have a DLink Router.. Is there any similar firmware for Dlink ?

Doesn't the DLink router have QoS options? And is this an ADSL Wireless router or just a wireless access point?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Doesn’t the DLink router have QoS options? And is this an ADSL Wireless router or just a wireless access point?
[/quote]

Its an ADSL router i think… Dlink DI-524… I checked the interface of the router cant find anything related to QOS…

^ DLink DI-524 does not have QoS support in its firmware, nor is there third party firmware available for it!

^ DLink DI-524 does not have QoS support in its firmware, nor is there third party firmware available for it!
[/quote]

Ah crap… So no other way?

other way buy another router linksys.

Depends on your router setup options. For example, if you have a Linksys router, you can install Tomato (firmware) on it which gives you the option of enabling QoS through which you can allocate bandwidth and priority to different tasks.
[/quote]

I am thinking of buying a Linksys router for its QOS features. Which model number I should buy?

linksys wrt54G or GL or GS

I am thinking of buying a Linksys router for its QOS features. Which model number I should buy?
[/quote]

Check the Tomato website for a list of supported models.

@alamode

I have an idea. I am not fully sure about all points but I'll write a draft here:

Before I start, let's assume few things:

Router = 192.168.1.1

Your PC = 192.168.1.2

Your brother's PC = 192.168.1.3

1) Setup a rule in your router to redirect all traffic from specific IP address to a proxy server. (I hope that this is possible, there must be some way to add a rule, for example, if IP address is 192.168.1.3 then forward all traffic to 192.168.1.2).

2) In your PC, install a proxy server software. (I am not sure which one will work and suite your needs).

3) When you are not running an online game, then proxy server will give unlimited speed to your brother's computer.

4) When you are going to start game, you set the rule in proxy server to limit the speed.

5) Your computer will not only be running game but also will be acting as proxy server and limit the internet speed for your brother's speed.

----------------------

That's just a draft. The problem is I don't know any specific proxy server that allow limiting the speed but there must be some proxy software that will do the job. Need to spent sometime googling and reading help sections of proxy softwares.

What do you guys think? Is it possible and practical?

IN other and simple words

Just dload net limiter working verion via torrents, install it and ur done you will be in control of everything which sucks bandwidth from/through your PC BUT to do that ur PC on which u play games SHOULD be in controlling position i.e. it should be a server of some sort. like wampyr said a proxy server !

my bro also does this, he has connected his O2 mobile via blutooth with my PC ... so when i use PC, he starts browsing the internet on his O2 which sucks all the bandwidth so my netlimiter comes in handy... and my bro screams why browsing is very slow whenever im using the PC :D ... I allow only 5KBPS to his O2

another solution would be to install a firewall/proxy/router application on an old pc and install linux based ebox. Ebox has very powerful QOS features besides tonnes of other features.

test here ur internet speed