How to initialize seagate 1TB in windows7

I've just bought seagate 1TB 32mb cache internal HDD and haven't started using it(not initialised) since i have never used disk management in windows 7 or any other windows and i need ur help asap.

I have 160gb seagate hd which i am currently using to boot and it has 4 partitions.Basically i want to create atleast 3 partitions in my new (1TB) drive and use one of it to boot windows;that's what i want to achieve.Now the thing is i also want 3 partitions on the 160gb drive instead of 4;and this current drive hav lots of data that i want to back-up on the new 1TB drive b4 re-partitioning it.Now how do i go about it?

Should i boot from win7 dvd first,delete the existing C drive where current windows is installed(important data is not in the c drive of the 160gb),then create new patitions in the new 1TB drive(3 to be precise) and install windows on one of them.My uncertainty to this mthd lies in that i hav installed windows 7 just once and don't know such options exist like in XP where u can create or delete options.

Second mthd would be to initialize new HDD first,which i know nothing about,and create 3 partitions.Then after that,back-up data in the new 1TB hdd,then boot with windows dvd and install windows.Now somebody told me if u use disk management feature in windows to create partitions,then u can't use it for installing windows.To use it for booting windows,u'll again have to partition while installing windows.

Now dear members,i need ur help ASAP in this regard.My new HDD is lying inactive,haven't use it as yet.Just bear in mind that i want to install windows 7 in my new 1TB seagate HDD,instead of the old one 160GB seagate,ultimately.How to go about it?

Come on guys,wake up! =(

or atleast tell me is it okay to use disk management to create partiton first and after that install win7 over it.any info on how to create partition.Assume now i want 4 partitions on my new HDD(instead of 3 as was previously stated).

A much simpler method would be to disconnect your 160GB hard drive (disconnecting the power cable), and then installing Windows 7, making due partitions on the new one... after Windows has been installed, re-connect your 160GB hard drive, and boot via the newly installed Windows... and simply copy/cut and paste the data you want to back up to your new hard drive, and then make new partitions as per your requirement (via the disk management tool).

Dew---------de! Yep its 101% OK to use disk management. I would suggest you to create partition first and then install OS. As you've already installed win7 it would be easy.

First attach your hard disk in the current OS. then Right click my computer>manage

Computer management appears now from "Storage/Storage Devices">Disk management>Click on it and it will show all the available disks in the center pane, Select your 1TB hard disk and right click on it, and it will show option such as Create/delete/adjust/etc.etc.etc. Select your desired which might be make partition/create partition. NOw make the First drive primary partition and then create a extended drive of the remaining space and then in extended create 3 logical drives and select whatever formats you like. And your done! then copy your data from 160gb to 1tb. Then reboot and install the windows on the primary partition of 1tb hard disk.

then boot into your new os and repartition the 160gb same as above.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

A much simpler method would be to disconnect your 160GB hard drive (disconnecting the power cable), and then installing Windows 7, making due partitions on the new one… after Windows has been installed, re-connect your 160GB hard drive, and boot via the newly installed Windows… and simply copy/cut and paste the data you want to back up to your new hard drive, and then make new partitions as per your requirement (via the disk management tool).
[/quote]

So what would happen when i re-connect 160gb hdd?why it will boot from 1TB HDD and not from 160gb hd?as both will have win7.

Dew---------de! Yep its 101% OK to use disk management. I would suggest you to create partition first and then install OS. As you’ve already installed win7 it would be easy.

First attach your hard disk in the current OS. then Right click my computer>manage

Computer management appears now from “Storage/Storage Devices”>Disk management>Click on it and it will show all the available disks in the center pane, Select your 1TB hard disk and right click on it, and it will show option such as Create/delete/adjust/etc.etc.etc. Select your desired which might be make partition/create partition. NOw make the First drive primary partition and then create a extended drive of the remaining space and then in extended create 3 logical drives and select whatever formats you like. And your done! then copy your data from 160gb to 1tb. Then reboot and install the windows on the primary partition of 1tb hard disk.

[/quote]

Thanks man! I do like ur method.Just one thing to clear up.you quoted

Then reboot and install the windows on the primary partition of 1tb hard disk.

[/quote]

What will happen to the windows on the current 160gb hdd?or may be u r tryin to tell that when installing new windows on 1TB hdd,i should before delete the existing partition where current win7 is installed.That sounds reasonable.And thanks to both ahsum and psycorps’95 for co-operating.

^It will try to dual boot if you don't format or Disconnect the current hard disk.

Yes i was trying to tell you that

delete the existing partition where current win7 is installed
[/quote]

HEY HEY HEY

why're u going the slow painful way?

Just clone ur existing boot partition from the 160G hdd to the new hdd. google for 'clone partition' or 'clone hard drive'.

Will save u all the time.

Rest of the space u can use to do whatever the heck u want with it. make one partition or hundreds. doesnt matter coz

simple partitioning can be done by windows own disk management.

Comprende amigo? :)

use partition magic or partition manager

HEY HEY HEY

why’re u going the slow painful way?

Just clone ur existing boot partition from the 160G hdd to the new hdd. google for ‘clone partition’ or ‘clone hard drive’.

Will save u all the time.

…Comprende amigo? :)

[/quote]

O i forgot! This will save alot of time. good suggestion maliksaab . There are hundreds of Cloneing softwares, i use norton ghost.

happie to help mr.Ahmsun! :)

actually what i did was use windows disk management utility to create 4 partitions,and it was very easy to create.One thing for all concerned is first 3 partitions will always be created as primary partitions and the 4th one as extended drive(from which u can create as many logical drives as u want).and apart from that u can install windows only on primary partitions,is there any other difference b/w primary and logical drives?since i will install windows on new HDD,i want it to have C letter instead of H,I,J as it's now.how will i do it?will it be done automatically when i'll install windows over it?

Maliksaab,actually i wanted fresh installation coz i've really messed it so won't be cloning it for this while,although it's a nice suggestion for the future.Thanks for the tip :)

so i did a fresh install of windows-seven and it went well,no problems.windows is installed on the c: drive as i wanted.Now can anybody suggest me can i change drive letters of other partitions for my liking and how?is it safe also?

Yep Its safe to do so except the OS installed drives as they have many shared destinations. You can change the drive letter from DISK MANAGEMENT And right click the drive you want to and select "Change Drive letter and paths" and rename the drive to whatever you want to.

Ahmsun is correct.

Might i add, if you change a drive's letter that also has installed software on it,

then associations with that software might not work anymore.

A workaround is to use programs like partitionmagic etc. They take care of it all.