How to hook up 5.1 PC music system to a LCD TV/DVD?

I have a cheap 5.1 desktop system & I don't want to spend more money getting a home theater for my tv/dvd. Can I use the PC 5.1 sound system as home theater? If yes then how do I connect it to my tv/dvd? I have a 40" Nobel LCD tv & a Sony dvd player.

u dont requir the dvd player.... conect ur dvd player direclty to the tv...

then connect ur system to the tv... u MUST have a grapix card in your system if u want to use the traditional A/V in.... if not then ur tv shud have RGB in so that you can connect ur system's vga out to the tv's RGB in but u will need to buy a VGA - to - RGB cable for tht....

as far as 5.1 sound goes u didnt mention that u have a 5.1 speaker system or ur dvdplayer has it??? wth ever the case may b if u have traditional 5.1 pc speaker just connect them to ur pc.. and if ur sony player has 5.1 speaker then it must have a audio in (which i doubt) then u can connect ur pc to tht....

Step by Step

- Connect the DVD player in the normal way to the TV via three RCs

- Connect the speakers to the headphone out of the TV (it should have one). Use the green analog wire that you would usually connect from your speakers to your PC!

If the TV doesnt have a headphone out, you will need to buy a twin RC to 3.5mm converter, available in the big home theatre markets of cities (Saddar Regal and Co-operative for Karachi). If you get that, you will connect the RC to the audio RCs from the DVD, then connect the 3.5mm to the analog! Note that the converter/connector should have ALL FEMALE connections i.e. Female RC and Female 3.5mm

@ sir ahsan... dude he want a 5.1 setup.....

n he didnt even gave enough info...

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

@ sir ahsan… dude he want a 5.1 setup…

n he didnt even gave enough info…

[/quote]

I doubt a cheap 5.1 system has full seperate leads for all the things anyway! Nor does he really want that! And the single analog does let it work … depends on the speakers! Atleast my Altec 4.1s from the late 1990s still work as a proper 4.1 though connected to a sound card with a single 3.5mm!