How to enable Thumbnails for .flv videos?

Hello WP members..

Well you all know .flv is very famous format for flash videos,

i have downloaded 100s of videos from youtube using IDM and they are in .flv format , its easy to search videos in your PC if you can see thumbnails, but .flv videos dont show any thumbnails ,

i have tried different methods to enable them, including installing ffshow , it gives option to enable thumbnails during installation, i enabled .flv thumbnails but instead of showing video thumbnails it shows MP classic icon on all videos...

so please help, If you have any idea how to enable thumbnail's for .flv videos... I am using Windows 7 Ultimate.

Thanks

Wow, why did not adobe the developers of flash ever thoufht abt this. Its a huge flaw.

Enabling .flv thumbnails while installing MPC, always worked with me.

Install Real Player and you are done...

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Install Real Player and you are done…
[/quote]

didnt work for me…

Enabling .flv thumbnails while installing MPC, always worked with me.
[/quote]

what is your operating system, mine is Windows 7 ultimate…

well i just installed win7Codec by shark007 and it gave me some thumbnails but most were simply black… and it just fcuked windows explorer, as soon as i open any drive the windows explorer stopped responding and restarts, so i recovered my system prior to that changes… but same black thumnails, and same is with MPC again…

i tried adding keys to windows registry… but nothing worked for me…

so i guess i am unlucky to get thumbnails for flv… most of people got their problem solved either by MPC or adding registry…

^change their extension from flv to mp4 and you will get the thumbnails.

I know it is not the proper way of changing the container from flv to mp4, but I have done that with many of h.264 flv files downloaded from youtube and they play just fine with MPC-HC.

Proper way of changing the container is by using Avidemux (an open source program). Just load your file into it and save it as mp4 without encoding, just in seconds. It can even cut or join many videos without needing to re-encode them.

^change their extension from flv to mp4 and you will get the thumbnails.

I know it is not the proper way of changing the container from flv to mp4, but I have done that with many of h.264 flv files downloaded from youtube and they play just fine with MPC-HC.

[/quote]

it seems easy, but how to do that without converting…? how can i change extension?

Proper way of changing the container is by using Avidemux (an open source program). Just load your file into it and save it as mp4 without encoding, just in seconds. It can even cut or join many videos without needing to re-encode them.

[/quote]

yeah, but you cannot do that when you have 100s of .flv videos?

didnt work for me…
[/quote]

well, with winodws 7 ultimate and real player sp, i have 100’s of flv videos downloaded from youtube and not even a single vidoe shows up as a black thumbnail.

not sure why it does not work for you.

^ well i tried again and yes it actually worked, so i had to do these steps to get thumbnails.... first associated .flv with real player, just refreshed all the folders and got all thumbnails, but i dont like RealPlayer, so again associated .flv with VLC player, and yep thumbnails are still there....

^that's nice.

it seems easy, but how to do that without converting..? how can i change extension?
[/quote]

FLV is a container and MP4 is also a container. The files inside the container are video which is a .264 file and a the audio file mostly AC3 or mp3 etc. So there is no need to convert the files inside, just have to change the container type.

The following page shows how one can change file extensions of multiple files at once.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/batch-change-rename-file-extensions-in-windows/

^that’s nice.

FLV is a container and MP4 is also a container. The files inside the container are video which is a .264 file and a the audio file mostly AC3 or mp3 etc. So there is no need to convert the files inside, just have to change the container type.

The following page shows how one can change file extensions of multiple files at once.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/batch-change-rename-file-extensions-in-windows/

[/quote]

that was really very helpful, thanks a bunch,… :)

But again, after doing this, the videos which were not showing thumbnails prior to installation of RealPlayer, again are not showing thumbnails… extension of all, however, is now .mp4

I am totally unable to understand that if there are two videos, on .mp4, one is showing thumbnail and other is not… why ? (to mention the one which is not showing thumnail (kesha’s tiktok in pic below) was an .flv i changed its extension using your method. so now both are in .mp4)

57172904.png

@Mumtaz

One change that I have is that I have Apple Quick Time installed as well.

Can you give some link to the video (on you tube) whose thumbnail does not work for you ? I would like to check that on my laptop.

^ like this video

at 480p

Setup 1: Windows 7 Ultimate + Real Player SP + Apple Quick Time 7.0

1) Just downloaded this video at 480p. For me, it shows thumbnail.

2) However if i change the extention to ".MP4" the thumbnail disappears.

Setup 2: Installed VLC to above setup.

1) Thumbnails show up, no problem and now FLV files open up with VLC.

2) The VLC Icon (a red cone) shows up at lower right corner of each thumbnail.

well the easiest way that i have found till yet is, just change "open with" of .flv to "MPC" or "Real Player" , refresh the page, all .flv videos will get thumbnails, and then change back "open with" to VLC or whatever....

--