How to do Ground and neutral common wiring? APC UPS

usually the desi UPS are on a single wiring system where one wire is used for both L and N..

APC ups usually require a dual wiring system all across the house., which is a REAL PAIN IN THE ASS, and expensive

usually the Shops offer a Ground and neutral common setting inside the ups, so it can work on single wire as well.

any advice on how to do that ourselves?. and what would be the disadvantages of doing that?

Single wire for only phase (output Live) works with almost all kinds of UPS'. All you need is to makes sure input neutral is connected to neutral of home. Single line wiring is safe.

You can do it yourself but make sure you take precautionary measures and do not blame me if you rip off your UPS. ;)

Usually aligned input neutral works if you connect it correctly to neutral of home. If it is not working for some kind of UPS then ''Connect Output neutral of UPS to neutral of home''. It will work. But a mistake or change in input can cause short circuit which is very dangerous.

It happened at my office.. I didn't know the wires are all messed up.. the elctrician did something insane ,he was telling me ill take neutral from the office.. when he connected every single wire coming inside burned... he was lal pela .. i aksed him for independent wiring and he did that.

[quote=“koder, post:4, topic:16986”]

It happened at my office… I didn’t know the wires are all messed up… the elctrician did something insane ,he was telling me ill take neutral from the office… when he connected every single wire coming inside burned… he was lal pela … i aksed him for independent wiring and he did that.

[/quote]

He must be a noob in such things. He must have short circuited the entire thing up. After some very bad experience with electricians, I deal with UPS thingy by my own self.

blogger actually he wasn't a noob.. the whole building wiring is messed up.My ups wiring is indepedent .. I mean to each fan ,light .. there goes two wires from the socket.He told me its safe.

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:, topic:”]

usually the desi UPS are on a single wiring system where one wire is used for both L and N…

APC ups usually require a dual wiring system all across the house., which is a REAL PAIN IN THE ASS, and expensive

usually the Shops offer a Ground and neutral common setting inside the ups, so it can work on single wire as well.

any advice on how to do that ourselves?. and what would be the disadvantages of doing that?

[/quote]

Have a look at this post:

Thanks a lot people. Our electrician was a smart skilled one. he did the direct double wiring to most of the house full DB by direct connection and kitchen light by adding new neutral wire to it.

Good electricians are hard to come by. Phew.. :P

just a small q.

upon installation and wiring, i plugged in the apc and on starting it, it tested and then BAM, all its led lights are now on, no current flowing out,.. all lights are steady on, no matter how many times i restart of Disconnect them. the fan runs, all lights are on, and nothing happens.

the other ups i plugged in the same place a min latter is working ok.

is mine busted? how did this error happen, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, how do i reset that error?

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:9, topic:16986”]

just a small q.

upon installation and wiring, i plugged in the apc and on starting it, it tested and then BAM, all its led lights are now on, no current flowing out,… all lights are steady on, no matter how many times i restart of Disconnect them. the fan runs, all lights are on, and nothing happens.

the other ups i plugged in the same place a min latter is working ok.

is mine busted? how did this error happen, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, how do i reset that error?

[/quote]

I suppose the output fuse might have gone busted…check that out and replace it…

This is a very common practice in our country to lay only one wire from UPS to load and make common the neutral but this is ABSOLUTELY wrong. I saw an electrician got a powerful shock while doing work on neutral wire (of wapda lines) during WAPDA off because the the neutral of UPS operated equipment and neutral of other equipment was the same. I saw many other problems with such kind of wiring. So it is internationally recommended to completely isolate the phase and neutral of utility power supply from UPS.

So we should think the life of others not only save our money.

[quote=“signode, post:11, topic:16986”]

This is a very common practice in our country to lay only one wire from UPS to load and make common the neutral but this is ABSOLUTELY wrong. I saw an electrician got a powerful shock while doing work on neutral wire (of wapda lines) during WAPDA off because the the neutral of UPS operated equipment and neutral of other equipment was the same. I saw many other problems with such kind of wiring. So it is internationally recommended to completely isolate the phase and neutral of utility power supply from UPS.

So we should think the life of others not only save our money.

[/quote]

Explain with diagrams what kind of faults you have found out in single line wiring. Because after intensive focus, I haven’t found anything dangerous with this type of wiring. Well, problem happens only when a personnel comes in who have never dealt with such things.

[quote=", post:7, topic:16986"]

Have a look at this post:

[/quote]

That’s what I have mentioned in my Post No. 3. And also this is the major reason for short circuit. B)