How to disable PTCL fiberhome router and use my own router

Hello everybody!

Can anybody help me in disabling my existing fiberhome built-in router and using my own router. I have purchased TP-Link WR340G router to use instead of fiberhome. Please also help me in configuring it.

Thank you.

Hi Danyal,

You don't need to 'disable' your fiberhome modem. You need to connect the TP-link router to the fiberhome lan, and have Auto Configuration - DHCP in TP-link Router.

Your modem page should be 192.168.1.1

and your tp link router will be 192.168.0.1

Go to your browser and make sure that your TP-Link (192.168.0.1) has Auto Configuration - DHCP (will be under basic settings). In this way, TP-link will behave like a PC obtaining an IP Address automatically.

TP-Link will automatically get an IP from your modem. You also need to enable DHCP in TP link router so that the PC's can obtain an ip address automatically from the TP Link router.

Make sure to insert a password (key phrase) (WPA2), to protect your router/WiFi from any intruder. This will also be available in your router page (192.168.0.1) under 'wireless' settings.

Nab

There is an 'easy setup assistant' CD with that router. Previously I tried to setup wireless network using that CD. Needless to mention that I failed to configure it using the CD because it failed to verify router settings.

Now you have advised me to go to 192.168.0.1. I would like to inform you that router page is not accessible through this address. Router page is appearing when I go to 192.168.1.1. This was previously my PTCL page. I wonder where did my PTCL configuration page has gone. Secondly when I go to this page, network parameters of WAN are appearing as follows:

IP Address: 0.0.0.0 Dynamic IP

Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0

Default Gateway: 0.0.0.0 Obtaining network parameters...

DNS Server: 0.0.0.0 , 0.0.0.0

Note that it is trying to obtain network parameters but could not succeed.

The network parameters of Wireless are appearing as follows:

Wireless Radio: Enable

SSID: DANMAN

Channel: 6

Mode: 54Mbps (802.11g)

MAC Address: 00-25-86-CA-F4-6C

IP Address: 192.168.1.1

Please advise me. Your kind assistance in this regard shall be highly appreciated.

I think this is a somewhat similar problem that I had with my new TP-Link router. The issue is that TP-link router uses the same ip to access the config page as the modem, so there is a conflict which stops it from working.

You could try this:

Remove the PTCL modem and just connect your TP-link router to your pc using an ethernet cable. Once connected power on the router and access the configuration page using "192.168.1.1". This would open up the TP-link router page. Now head over to Network tab>Lan and change the ip address to 192.168.0.1 and click save...next go to DHCP>DHCP Settings and change the default gateway to 192.168.0.1 and click save.. Wait for the reboot and then reconnect the modem and see if it works.

Hope it solves the problem!

Yes, Umer is correct.

Daniyal as you are saying that your PTCL router was at 192.168.1.1 and Your TP Link router is also at 192.168.1.1, they are conflicting.

You need to change either PTCL Modem's LAN address to 192.168.0.1 or change TP link LAN's address to 192.168.0.1 so that there is no conflict.

Be sure, when changing the LAN Address, to do it by connecting your PC to only one thing at a time, either router or modem. Once you have changed the IP address, connect both.

You may not need to change the default gateway in the router, as after changing the IP address, some routers are smart enough to change it automatically (My Linksys WRT54G2 changes it automatically). But if your router is 192.168.0.1 and default gateway/starting IP address in DHCP is showing 192.168.1.x then you need to change it to 192.168.0.x

Nab i was hoping if you could help me with something...

I am on PTCL using the PTCL ZXDSL 831CII modem and TP-LINK TL-WR941N router. The setup works fine but occasionally it stops working that is disconnects from the internet, what i have to do to restore it is that go to my router page...release the IP and then RENEW it. I dont know what exactly is causing the problem but it is certainly very annoying. Sometimes it also happens that i cannot access the router page using the 192...... address and have to restart it.

Maybe it is some sort of configuration issue?

Thanks.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Nab i was hoping if you could help me with something…

I am on PTCL using the PTCL ZXDSL 831CII modem and TP-LINK TL-WR941N router. The setup works fine but occasionally it stops working that is disconnects from the internet, what i have to do to restore it is that go to my router page…release the IP and then RENEW it. I dont know what exactly is causing the problem but it is certainly very annoying. Sometimes it also happens that i cannot access the router page using the 192… address and have to restart it.

Maybe it is some sort of configuration issue?

Thanks.

[/quote]

Try Reversing your Modem and Router’s IP addresses. (Change the 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1 and vise versa).

I had a similar problem (same modem but linksys router) and it was solved by reversing the IP’s of both.

Thanks!

Thanks everybody for your kind assistance. I have done exactly what Umer has guided. I have logged on to router page by 192.168.1.1. Next I went to LAN tab and changed IP address to 192.168.0.1 and also changed DHCP default gateway to 192.168.0.1. Now my LAN was able to obtain WAN address. The following configs are now appearing on my router page:

LAN

IP Address: 192.168.0.1

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Wireless

Wireless Radio: Enable

SSID: DANMAN

Channel: 6

Mode: 54Mbps (802.11g)

IP Address: 192.168.0.1

WAN

MAC Address: 00-25-86-CA-F4-6D

IP Address: 192.168.1.1 Static IP

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

DNS Server: 0.0.0.0 , 0.0.0.0

Now when I used TP LINK EASY SETUP] when I reached Configuration settings I opted for static IP in the internet connection and entered the following particulars:

IP address 192.168.1.1

Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Default gateway 192.168.1.1

After that my router settings were updated as follows:

Router Settings:

WAN Connection Type: Static IP

IP Address: 192.168.1.1

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Primary DNS: 0.0.0.0

Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0

Network Name (SSID): DANMAN

Network Security Type: No Security

Network Security Key:

Now my wireless got connected. However I am unable to do web browsing through wireless. The following wireless network details are appearing in the laptop in which I am trying to operate wireless:

IP 192.168.0.100

Subnet 255.255.255.0

Gateway 192.168.0.1

DHCP server 192.168.0.1

DNS 192.168.0.1

Before using Easy setup my internet through Lan was working perfectly. Now even that is not working.

Please guide what should I do next

You did everything perfectly except one step which is opting for a static IP. Change that to dynamic IP and it should work in a jiffy.

PTCL operates on dynamic IP which means that it changes every time you connect to the internet and this is different from the router configuration page ip.

Hope that clarifies the problem!

Dear All

Thank you for the support extended so far. I am having a new problem. My router page is not accessing I am trying to access it by typing 192.168.1.1 as well as 192.168.0.1 And my Lan is showing is showing limited or no connectivity when I connect router to my PC.

Dear All

My problem is resolved now. I must thank you ppl for your kind assistance!