How to check the follwing things on iPhone (turned off)

I am just trying to figure out that how to identify the following things in an iPhone, which is not started or not able to start.

* iPhone version (2G, 3G, 3GS)?

* iOS version on it?

* Basband?

It's white one and 8GB printed on back...

Not seems to be 2G any way. Remains to identify from 3G or 3GS and the iOS version...

Bootrom is iBoot-596.24

Can enter Recovery and DFU mode.

From Left to Right. 2g, 3g, 3gs.

1. Iphone 2g has a Silver Back not white and apple doesnt offer white colour for the 8gb variant of 3g.

2. OS and Baseband can only be checked if the phone is turned on.

iphone2g-3g-3gs-main-difference.jpg

^thanks. so does the statement "apple doesnt offer white colour for the 8gb variant of 3g" verify that the phone I am talking about is not 3G?

Which will of course mean that it's iPhone 3GS in reference... right?

Have you any idea about Bootrom... in case of an iOS is restored on a wrong iPhone gen (e.g. iPhone 3GS is restored with an iOS [which is 0for iPhone 3G])?

For more extent, if the iPhone is 3GS and I install the iOS 3.1.3 (which was for iPhone 3G and not for iPhone 3GS)... What will happen then?

Here is the error I got, was "1015" when I tried to restore the referenced phone with the iOS 3.1.3 for iPhone 3G (supposing the referenced phone was iPhone 3G and after posting this topic). And as error "1015" is caused when downgrading from a later version of iOS to the earlier version. (just forget about Cydia blobs) Do you think if the referenced phone was iPhone 3GS then the iTunes would have let me through the whole restore process and gave me the error(which is actually caused by downgrading) on the last step of verifying the firmware?

I am not sure what error the iTunes would normally prompt with if you try to restore an iPhone with a wrong iOS version (which is not for this iPhone gen). would you please confirm?

Also I don't have any idea that even after restoring with a wrong iOS(as above mentioned), what will the system will show about the Bootrom of the device?

- Will the computer reflect the newer Bootrom which was updated with a wrong iOS?

- Or the computer will reflect the older Bootrom as it was before the update?

Thanks for your variations any way. It was a good help indeed

dude forget about about other stuff firmware, baseband and blaH blah, you are confusing yourself and others who are trying to help you, SIMPLY TAKE THE SNAP OF THE BACK OF YOUR IPHONE BOTTOM WHERE IPHONE AND MEMORY IS WRITTEN AND POST IT HERE, then i'll tell you exactly what model it is, from there on i'll guide you how to get your iphone working whole process to jailbreak and unlock doesn't take more than 30 minutes (of course you need to have all the software downloaded for it beforehand for which i'll give you links) first lets establish 100% what you got.

^I am sorry if it was confusing for you. But the thing to install a firmware wasn't that important in this topic. May be that's why it has confused you.

The problem was to identify the device in such a situation and to get some idea about the firmware/baseband if possible.

Installing and getting that device ready is the later part.

I'd try to post the picture tomorrow morning anyway. Thanks

^^^

if you post the pic then if you look the above pic below memory there is small stuff written which has your model number ie by looking at that i'll tell you what exactly you got. then we'll carry on from there

firmware baseband comes later you should not worry about that stuff redsnow for jailbreak and ultrasnow for unlocks and less than 30 minutes of efforts you'll be up and running, don't worry about software and baseband at all. first help us to help you by telling us what exactly you got,

ok since you are so worried about all firmware and baseband etc then i'll give you brief pointer.

if your phone is 3G then:

- your phone got only 128 megs of ram, your best firmware to use would be 3.1.3 and its gonna use baseband from 3.1.2 firmware. runs very stable, even you can use BACKGROUNDER APP from cydia to do multitaking.

- even though you could go as high as ios 4.2.1 and do multitaksing but unfortunately iphone 3g hardware is too old and slow for that and lag is very noticeable. iphone 3g shares hardware with original iphone 2g with just GPS added

if your phone is iphone 3GS then:

- your phone got 256 megs of rams and the best firmware for your phone is 4.0.2 with mutitasking and you get all the goodies, its fully jailbreakable and unlockable. CPU is very fast, iphone 3GS hardware is almost iphone 4 specs.

- you can update it to latest firmware 4.2.1 which is fantastic but i won't advise you at this moment due to the fact to unlock it it uses baseband 6.15 from ipad and its not native to iphone so there are lots of problems, very fast battery discharge etc, GPS location problems etc so you'll need to wait until the 4.2.1 original baseband is hacked i think its a good idea.

well the 3gs also doesn't come in white with 8gb...you probably have a 3G with its back changed i.e the phone has been opened up.

apple doesn't allow to restore to an old firmware anymore, ull have to download the latest firmware (4.2)and install that on ur iphone in order to restore it.

09122010116.th.jpg 09122010114.th.jpg 09122010113.th.jpg

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
if you post the pic then if you look the above pic below memory there is small stuff written which has your model number ie by looking at that i'll tell you what exactly you got.
[/quote]

Model No: A1421... is it 3G? after searching on Google... if the Model No really tells about the iPhone Gen.?

firmware baseband comes later you should not worry about that stuff redsnow for jailbreak and ultrasnow for unlocks and less than 30 minutes of efforts you'll be up and running, don't worry about software and baseband at all. first help us to help you by telling us what exactly you got,

ok since you are so worried about all firmware and baseband etc then i'll give you brief pointer.

if your phone is 3G then:

if your phone is iphone 3GS then:

[/quote]

Again... the firmware and baseband I wanted to know about, was not that I would install on it. But I was willing to identify the firmware and baseband currently on this device (in dead state). Because if it's really a 3G, then I'll not want to update it with the iOS 4.x. I know it.

* So Why I was willing to identify the firmware?

It was because I would try to update it with the same iOS or a bit later in 3.x. I was not willing to try each of the versions one by one from earlier to later. The iTunes has already rejected iOS 3.1.3 (iPhone 3G) on this device. I've mentioned about the error in earlier post.

I am not just worried about any thing. As the device has been declared as hardware failure and handed over to me. I was trying my part to fix it as I don't think its hardware failure any way. I don't care if the device gets bricked. I really don't. But the things I asked here, weren't found any where and were important to be in one's knowledge, I guess..

Just think it be an experimental device. Do what ever you want to do with it no matter what happens. But try your best to fix it.

I hope now it's good to understand what I actually needed to confirm..

it's not what we'll install on the device.... but it's what the device already has..

well the 3gs also doesn't come in white with 8gb...you probably have a 3G with its back changed i.e the phone has been opened up.
[/quote]

It would be the worst thing if it is.

But can you tell me how would you be sure that it's 3G? if both of them do not come in white-8GB.

Did you consider the bootrom iBoot-596.24? I didn't find any thing on the internet confirming this bootrom was for iPhone 3G but I did find some resources confirming that iPhone 3GS was shipped with iBoot-359.x.... I can just make an idea that this device is iPhone 3G... not sure about that...

apple doesn't allow to restore to an old firmware anymore, ull have to download the latest firmware (4.2)and install that on ur iphone in order to restore it.
[/quote]

1- Are you talking about downgrading? if yes then it's right I know about that.

2- But if you are talking about some thing that now Apple wont allow me to update to 3.1.3 even if the device has 3.0 in it? then I really didn't know about that. For how long it's been implemented? As I have updated another iPhone 3G with 3.1.3 from 3.0 as mentioned here dated: 12-11-2010 6:00 pm

BTW I doubt Apple would do that... Why would they restrict iPhone 3G users as well to update to 4.x? even though it's not well optimized for iPhone 3G....

- So finally if paradigm is right about the fact that Apple wont allow me to update it with the older versions (2nd above). Then of course I'll not have any option other than the latest version of iOS to update with.

- But what about the other thing if the back of the device has been changed? how would you identify the device? Or I have to test it restoring with each of the IPSWs?

Following link might give you little information.

http://offtopics.com/electronics/120016-apple-iphone-3g-8gb-mb702ll-a1421-unlocked-exc-cond.html

Huh! I just pushed the iPhone 3GS iOS version to restore it in iTunes. It just threw the error right away after selecting the IPSW.

The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible
[/quote]

I tried with two iPhone 3GS version files, the error was same.

So iTunes proceeds with only a correct version. Thats good now.

In this case iTunes accepts the only IPSW that is for iPhone 3G... So that is enough to be sure that the device is 3G

Thanks guys.

You can of course downgrade. Download Tiny umbrella and save your SHSH blobs. Try downgrading then. Put your iphone in DFU and do shift restore. Afterward when itunes gives error, open TU and click get out of recover mode. (This wont work if you've upgraded to stock version 4.2)