How to Build a $20 Million Company from a Garage in Lahore

Almost a year ago, six young Computer Science graduates in Lahore ventured

on an ambitious plan to build the next generation instant messenger. With

little money, no office and no prior experience of starting a company, most

people scoffed at their plans of starting a company rather than working for

a "respectable" software house. The team worked on low salaries, inhabited a

small room on top of a garage in Lahore, bought 6 second-hand computers and

invested in a Carrom board to setup their "office".

One year on, BumpIn.com http://www.bumpin.com/ has emerged as a major player in the web 2.0 instant

messenger market, evaluated at $600 Million. The company was hailed as a

KillerStartup in Nov'07. In Dec'07, we were tipped to become the market

leaders for the "interactive Web". In Jan'08, BumpIn.com was selected to

provide online chat to a major social networking service.

(i got this email from ucp/pcba/pics official students webmail seminar notification )

is it really true :o

Not true...It is not worth 600 million..lol.Hell even Youtube which is too big was sold for just 1.5billion and nobody will pay 600 million just for chat stuff.Also do a little research on it on google and there are many blogs which posts about Web 2.0 sites but nothing about this site.

1.4K unique visitors traffic for 600 Million? Fake email.

seems like they are offering another facebook/myspace/orkut/hi5/friendster/bebo/Yahoo! 360/Xanga type of service...seems like...

Such stupid stories are going to get them nowhere.

P.s. I broke into hysterical laughter reading this at their blog:

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
- Umar

Chief Scientist, BumpIn

[/quote]

[/quote]

LMAO :D

Yeah this seems like a spam.

@SECC

did you get my email on CS?

Yeah this seems like a spam.

@SECC

did you get my email on CS?

[/quote]

It is spam ;)

Yeah Got your email.Thanks for the info man.

[/quote]

Well that explains everything. Being scientists these guys didn’t know jack about programming, so they ended up reducing their next killer start-up to a lamea$$ malware. :lol:

LOL… even Nigerian scammers can write better scam emails than these guys.

Well that explains everything. Being scientists these guys didn’t know jack about programming, so they ended up reducing their next killer start-up to a lamea$$ malware. :lol:

LOL… even Nigerian scammers can write better scam emails than these guys.

[/quote]

oh bhai this is not scam yar , we are having semniar the owner or founder of this site is coming in our uni for lecture how he became a entrepreneur :D

oh bhai this is not scam yar , we are having semniar the owner or founder of this site is coming in our uni for lecture how he became a entrepreneur :D

[/quote]

lol Pakistan may yahi hota hay lol.There is NO WAY in hell he could sell it for 600 million not even for 1 million…

lol Pakistan may yahi hota hay lol.There is NO WAY in hell he could sell it for 600 million not even for 1 million…

[/quote]

Probably $5k to $15k

never heared of that site

Pure B.S, but hats off to them for trying!

[DELETED] sah: No roman urdu please. Try sticking with english or post in urdu script.

There is a true dot com success story in Pakistan, and it goes by the name of http://iscrybe.com/main/index.php

They are based here in Pakistan, but have sold a sizeable chunk of their company to either Google or Yahoo, can't remember which. If you don't believe me, check with someone at the Islamabad Airports, who can confirm there being both Yahoo and Google charter jets within a week of each other there.

The other oft-overlooked, but not under-hyped success story is NetSol based in Lahore, who while not giants, have made quite a name for themselves here in Pakistan by creating better software at lower prices for companies like Daimler Chrysler. Their corporate office in Lahore is quite nice by Pakistani standards as well.

edit: scrybe ended up getting money from ADOBE and LMKR

what if my english is not good and still i want to contribute ?? i think sticking with english is not a good idea it limits user activity and no of users.

what if my english is not good and still i want to contribute ?? i think sticking with english is not a good idea it limits user activity and no of users.
[/quote]

We’ve had the language of communication debate a million times before and I’m not getting into it again. Please read the rules, and observe them if you want to post. You can always post in Urdu in urdu script if you wish to do so.

Hi. Men. Dr. Saif is a nice guy (not cuz i take his class, he just is). Having done a phd from cam and postdoc from mit and teaching courses at mit, he prolly knows more than jack to programming. As for bumpin I dont think its a first of kind experience in the world, but for pakstan it is a big thing for sure. and abt the worth of company I dont know the exact number but its sure gonna be big once they are acquired.

Maybe u shud attend one of the semianrs (i think they are done with lahore, and moving to other cities). If not for the company, atleast go to hear Umar Saif speak. Its an experience in its own