How to be a good forum member

Inspired by Thread cleaning initiative thread by sah, I thought I'll post some points that I think WP members should keep in mind before making every post. So here we go:

1) Don't post in a thread that you think is useless. If you post in a useless thread saying that it's useless, well, you help a useless thread become popular and attract more eyeballs.

2) If you think a thread is outrageous, grossly off-topic, or violate forum rules, again, don't contribute anything to it. Report button is your friend.

3) Make sure your post adds value to the discussion. If it does not, ask yourself why are you wasting your time writing something no one cares about?

4) If you want to ask an off-topic question in someone else's thread, why not refrain and start your own thread instead?

5) If you suddenly develop interest in a member's personal life, email him to get to know him better. Asking members personal questions in a middle of a thread is a signal to other members that you don't care what they are currently talking about (not to mentions it derails the thread).

6) PLEASE get comfortable using the 'Edit' button. Don't make two or three consecutive posts. It makes an easier read and also reduces the thread length significantly which benefits everybody really.

7) Quality is a lot more important than quantity. So please try to make an effort to increase the quality of each post. It wouldn't kill you to use proper grammar, spelling and punctuation. Try to avoid net slang and 'riting lk dis'. Its more a habit than anything and it won't require much if any extra effort on your part!

8) When 'quoting' someone, please delete any parts irrelevant to your reply. Again this makes posts more readable and reduces thread length.

Remember, we come here for information first and foremost. Entertainment and everything else comes second.

Do you agree?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Do you agree?
[/quote]

ya

i am getting your point :D

ya

i am getting your point :D

[/quote]

i second that

And when confused about what to do and what not to do [w.r.t. the forum rules and posting], ask the Admin/Mods!

To be a good forum member, just follow the forum rules!

well one guy started questioning about other isp in wateen thread so i would request everyone to don't be shy in making new threads

I had a few more rules (or rather guidelines) to add:

1. This is applies to everyone. PLEASE get comfortable using the 'Edit' button. Don't make two or three consecutive posts. It makes an easier read and also reduces the thread length significantly which benefits everybody really.

2. The second guideline is more a request. Quality is a lot more important than quantity. So please try to make an effort to increase the quality of each post. It wouldn't kill you to use proper grammar, spelling and punctuation. Try to avoid net slang and 'riting lk dis'. Its more a habit than anything and it won't require much if any extra effort on your part! Obviously we can't enforce this since it'd be considered draconian measures, so please do it more as a public service than anything.

3. When 'quoting' someone, please delete any parts irrelevant to your reply. Again this makes posts more readable and reduces thread length.

Any group of idiots can start a forum and post crap anytime anywhere. So lets make WP stand out above those type of forums. Your contribution will be greatly appreciated! :)

Someone should create the following thread also:

"How to be a good forum moderator"

Rules for members are well defined, but what about the rules and regulations for mods???

Who will take this initiative?

They are defined right here: http://www.wiredpakistan.com/forums/misc.php?action=rules

Someone should create the following thread also:

"How to be a good forum moderator"

Rules for members are well defined, but what about the rules and regulations for mods???

Who will take this initiative?

[/quote]

teh mods were selected for the reason that the knew the rules perfectly and are fair to every1

so there is no need to define rules for them

@xplorer: The same rules that apply to members, also apply to moderators. Please don't create unnecessary trouble.

that's our national problem people made rules but they don't follow themselves first

^ Why dig up a dead thread?

^^^^^

Hmmm...... Wow I just saw your status as Admin graduated from Mod, when this happened? I guess KO is now totally offhand from WP. Anyway congrats man!

Well I as one of the senior most member of WP who is frequenting this forum for past 4 to 5 years or so starting from offroadpakistan.com days. You have done a good job being always here as compare to occasional visitation by other mods.

[quote=“kamran1x1, post:13, topic:839”]

Well I as one of the senior most member of WP who is frequenting this forum for past 4 to 5 years or so starting from offroadpakistan.com days. You have done a good job being always here as compare to occasional visitation by other mods.

[/quote]

Member Since 24 Jul 2010.

:blink:

May be this is his second account due to his consistent ''behaviour''.

[quote=“Asad, post:12, topic:839”]

^ Why dig up a dead thread?

[/quote]

Yes, why digging such dead thread! There is no need of good behaviour. Forums are made to criticize others! B)

[quote=“Specter, post:4, topic:16055”]

First learn to spell logo.

[/quote]

that’s why i dig this

You broke the proper grammar and spelling rule :D:lol:

Oh, we have a "how to be a good forum member thread" too.... by specter....from over 2 and a half years ago....

*weird