How to allocate free space?

I have 1 drives hard disk of 80 gb with 3 partitions . I have 2 other drives of 160 and 250 both Sata. Anyway, here's the thing. In my 80 gb drive i have 20gb allocated to drive C which is the drive in which Windows is installed. Then i have D and E. E is 15 gb and the remaining space is used by D. My aim is to try and merge drive D with drive C as my drive C is completely full and as windows is also installed in it, its creating problems for me as i have to install things in different places and stuff which is pissing me off.

Anyway so using Disk Management i tried, but i was only able to unallocated the space which drive D was occupying, so now i have no Drive D but i am not able to allocate the space of D to C as there was no option of that in Disk management. I read in the other post people recommending PartitionMagic and Acronis, im downloading Acronis from FunFile and i have partition magic installed.

So my question basically is, how do i allocate the free space i have onto drive C using Partition Magic?

Also, when i try to mess around with Disk 1 (80Gb Drive in which i have C, D and E) i get this error:

The selected disk contains one or more partitions which cannot be moved.

To complete the task use the operations menu rather than a wizard

The operations menu is disabled btw when i use disk1.. all options are in grey so i cant do anything. When i select disk 2, these all options become active.

you cant merge two partitions that are on two different drives

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

you cant merge two partitions that are on two different drives
[/quote]

Yes but thats not what im trying to do.

Im trying to merge drive C which has operating system installed on it and drive D which is completely free. They both are on a 80gb hard disk.

Yes but thats not what im trying to do.

Im trying to merge drive C which has operating system installed on it and drive D which is completely free. They both are on a 80gb hard disk.

[/quote]

use Gparted i have used it to do what u are saying but not with windows but with linux

well, I was able to do the exact same thing with Partition Magic without any problems .. I think using Disk Management first is causing the problems ... not sure though.

partition magic works really well try its dos edition!

partition magic works really well try its dos edition!
[/quote]

i like Gparted coz it does not depend on ur OS rather its a mini OS itself

My 80 gb drive is a dynamic disk as it says in Disk Management. I cant find a way to merge C and D together.. ill have to format C to merge it but i have windows installed on C !!

My 80 gb drive is a dynamic disk as it says in Disk Management. I cant find a way to merge C and D together… ill have to format C to merge it but i have windows installed on C !!
[/quote]

try usin somethin other than Disk Management like Partition Magic or Gparted

My 80 gb drive is a dynamic disk as it says in Disk Management. I cant find a way to merge C and D together… ill have to format C to merge it but i have windows installed on C !!
[/quote]

oh dynamic disk thing!

that just #$%#, if i remember correctly i converted my disk to dynamic disk and i couldn’t perform any disk management operations

oh dynamic disk thing!

that just #$%#, if i remember correctly i converted my disk to dynamic disk and i couldn’t perform any disk management operations

[/quote]

:(… Exactly so what do i do now?

Okey my 80 Gb hard disk which has Drive C and D which i want to merge was a Dynamic Disk. I searched and i found this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913964

Its a way to convert Dynamic to Basic. I tried it exactly as it says but i ended up with drive D not appearing and in the disk management the whole 80gb drive is now Unreadable ??

AAGH

I won't recommend Partition Magic. I used version 8 about a year back and lost all my data. I had three partitions, I wanted to merge A and B, and backed up all my data on C. PM managed to wreck partitions B and C and didn't even touch A. So unless you have backed up your data (as I had luckily) don't try it as its not 100% reliable. And if you have made a backup, then just repartition your HDD by reformatting the whole HDD.

I won’t recommend Partition Magic. I used version 8 about a year back and lost all my data. I had three partitions, I wanted to merge A and B, and backed up all my data on C. PM managed to wreck partitions B and C and didn’t even touch A. So unless you have backed up your data (as I had luckily) don’t try it as its not 100% reliable. And if you have made a backup, then just repartition your HDD by reformatting the whole HDD.
[/quote]

Playing with partition softwares is always a risky job.

I once lost a whole partition data. and one of my hard disks died caz i tried playing with some version of DiskKeeper. i still wonder till this day how the hell did that software killed my HDD. all i remember is my hard disk used to create alot of noise whenever i run that program.

Partition magic in itself is ok, i’ve used it a couple of times. but its risky in the sense that you press a wrong button …or choose a wrong option and your data is gone. the software simply does what you ask it to do.

yesterday i bricked my new phone just caz i flashed the wrong area of the phone. the phone was dead and i was like mad at the flashing software for an hour… then i realised i just selected the wrong area to flash… so… mostly its user mistake that leads to such data losses. caz these softwares are thoroughly tested by the creators.

dude c cannot b merged with d cuz c will most probably b primary partition and d will b a etended>Logical partition

we can merge two logical partions together but priamry and logical partition will not merge that simply..... you would have 2empty the whole of extended partition than creat a smaller extended after merging sum of it with priamry one.....

correct me if i am wrong.....