How much electricity does a pc consume?

how much electricity does a pc consume...my daily usage of pc is 13 -15 hours...can anyone tell abt the rough monthly bill of this much usage of pc....total electricity bill of month always exceeds 3000rs n my dad is sayin i m the culprit and pc and 1000rs out of tota bill must be due to pc usage....??? :lol:

Switch to a laptop then your dad will not have any issue and you can use it in the bathroom too =D

I live alone and use my desktop PC 24/7 and the elec. bill is <1000

^^for what? :P

no idea but would be interesting to know and the result will vary depending on your Computer parts for e.g there is a lot of difference between power consumtion of LCD and CRT monitors

exactly. every one's pc's inner components will also differ. each component will have their own consumptions. a bit but there is.

With CRT monitors, ~12hrs/day, I think it can take you to higher amount in the bill. brobably >1000

what do u think?

Good one poton12. nice topic,

but be carefull if needle stops at you saying that 'YOU INCREASED THE BILL' :D

well, I use an LCD of course, at moderate brightness, and the idle display timeout is set to 5 minutes, and the hard disks set to spin down after 15 minutes, and the CD/DVD/BD/etc.-ROMs disabled (I rarely use them; ISOs in a virtual drive are more convenient) to keep mechanical activity to a minimum.

Every little bit helps.

@ poton12

On average computer bare-bone (just casing and everything within) uses ~60 watts/hour (this is on average things). A 15/17 inch CRT monitor (energy star/energy efficient/almost all models since year 2000) may take something between 40~60 watts/hour. If just for a moment we assume that your computer on average uses 100 watts/hour then let's have look at the following calculations:

Total consumption in Watts = (Watts/Hour) * (Hours of daily usage) * (Average days in month)

I am assuming that you are using 10 hours a day.

100 * 10 * 30 = 30000 Watts in a month

WAPDA calculate units in 1000 Watts.

30000 / 1000 = 30 Units of electricity used in a month by your computer

If just for a moment we think that WAPDA will apply its highest unit charge (Rs. 10 for each unit) then results will be following:

30 * 10 = Rs. 300 will be charge by WAPDA for your computer's usage in a month.

You should look into your electricity bill to see how much WAPDA is charging you per unit.

Hence, it is proved that even after assuming few things, your computer on average should be consuming electricity between Rs. 200 to Rs. 400 (at most Rs. 500 which I highly doubt).

However, remember that, no matter how you try to prove to your father, once finger is pointed at you and your computer usage, there is no way you can prove yourself innocent.

You are passing through those years of your life when these things start to popup :) Within next few years you'll be participating in your home's budget by paying bills (like electricity and others) and hopefully other family members will become happy with you. Maybe you take my words in wrong sense, but if you recall them after 5 or 10 years then you'll realize the stages of our life ;)

Have many good days, months, and years :)

May Allah protect you from all harms.

^whew..... that sums it up. I was afraid it was going to be much more.

@wapyr

i dont think a pc used 100 wats

if it does then y the hec* do people buy big power supplies like 500W or normal 300W power supply shud be of 150W

in my opinion go get some electrician and tell him to bring that digital meter to measure the flow of curent in a wire...... turn on pc and start some heavy app like a game or better start some conversion of video so that cpu usage is 100%

he wil tell u how much ur pc is consuming exactly....... and problem solved...

^ ShoukaT

I don't think he (poton12) is playing heavy game or conversion of video all 12 hours each day.

poton12: Are you?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

^ ShoukaT

I don’t think he (poton12) is playing heavy game or conversion of video all 12 hours each day.

poton12: Are you?

[/quote]

oops…yeah bro i do play heavy games almost 7-8 hrs a day and rest 4 5 hours surfing net and dowloading continuosly 13-15 hrs a day…here is wht i m running wid my pc

19 inch dell crt monitor

c2d e4500 on msi board

1 sata 500gb hdd

1 pcie 8600gt ddr2

1gb ddr2 ram

1 Dvdrom

1 casing fan

all above parts r running at chinese psu labeled 400watt but i guess its max output is 180watt coz i heard these psu can max giv 180watts…

4 large speakers

1 router…

:lol:

now rough idea abt pc monthly bill wid all parts active for 13-15 hrs daily???

@wampyr…nice calculations bro…wapda is charging me nearly 6rs per unit…wasy r u sure abt ur calculation…

my pc uses around 250+40(display) watts. thats around 300watts. 8 hours minimum a day

8*300*30=8*9000=72000/1000= 72 units ??? right?

whatever...Computers cant play an important role in increasing your bill!!!

So get some link about this on net and make your dad see that by himself...!!!!!

Easy solution!!ISnt it???:|

whatever…Computers cant play an important role in increasing your bill!!!
[/quote]

LOL! Go read about energy woes of data-centers.

Any way, the power rating of your PSU is summation of power on each rail. PSUs have a power factor of 0.6-0.8 - meaning that only 60-80% of the input power appears on the output.

Take a 400W PSU as an example. Considering the plethora of cheap Chinese PSUs dumped in the markets, I will use 0.6 power factor. Therefore, such a 400W PSU would consume:

400 -> 0.6

X -> 1

400 = 0.6X

X = 400/0.6 ~= 660Watt.
<p>For the sake of realism, we assume a 75% load for a good performance system having a couple HDDs, DVD writer, Gfx card, Core 2 Duo and the like *. That gives us 0.75 x 660 ~= 500Watts.</p><p>That would be 500Watts consumed per hour *. 2 hours of usage would lead to a single Wapda unit. For a PC that remains on for 15 hours (as yours is), that is 7.5 units of electricity per day. For a month consisting of 31 days, you will consume ~233 units (or 225 units for 30 day month). *</p><p>Your cost per unit depends on which payment slab you fall in (the mockery that the slab system is) depending on total consumption for your home. Assuming Rs.10/unit, that makes it PKR 2330 * per month for a 31 day month (and PKR 2250 * for a 30 day month). That is the amount of money your PC guzzled up in electricity bills.</p><p>So yes, using PC for so long does costs money. The best alternative is to use a laptop. The adapter for those is rated at 65-80Watts so you can cut your bill to a fifth of the above mentioned values.</p><p>* - These estimates are without figuring in the wattage of the monitor/LCD that you use. That adds more amount to your bill.</p></pre>

^^impossbile yar......u mean my pc is consuming electricity worth for 2500 rs :(

:( lol if my dad read ur post he will definitely kick me or kick my pc out of his house :lol:

^^impossbile yar…u mean my pc is consuming electricity worth for 2500 rs :(
[/quote]

No. I said it was more than that when you factor in the fact that your CRT is an energy hog too. Surely, you weren’t expecting that your PC was running for free? :confused:

My PC runs 24/7 downloading stuff (though admittedly, the consumption is somewhat reduced by putting most unneeded hardware to sleep and shutting off the LCD) and I am seriously considering using an old laptop for the purpose of downloading files and then just accessing it over remote desktop to get the files.

:( lol if my dad read ur post he will definitely kick me or kick my pc out of his house :lol:
[/quote]

Mind giving me his cell number? :P

I can't believe this calculation.

I don't have a core 2, but a P4 2.8 Ghz......

I have a separate WAPDA meter and I run my PC 12-13 hours a day, and during summer also a 1-ton split Dawlence the same amount of time.

The highest bill that I received was in July or August of ~1100 rupees. This was both for PC and AC as well as lights and a 75-watt ceiling fan in the adjacent room (which was used for about 18-20 hours)

I can’t believe this calculation.
[/quote]

Then don’t. Post a point by point rebuttal. I would prefer it if you respond in the same manner that I did: with calculations based on sound assumptions. That is the best way to learn where you are making a mistake, if any. Your “main nahi maanta” is kind of childish, isn’t it?

I don’t have a core 2, but a P4 2.8 Ghz…
[/quote]

In P4 times, people were happy with a 250-350 Watt supply (considering that the actual output was far less - Chinese junk).

I have a separate WAPDA meter and I run my PC 12-13 hours a day, and during summer also a 1-ton split Dawlence the same amount of time.

The highest bill that I received was in July or August of ~1100 rupees. This was both for PC and AC as well as lights and a 75-watt ceiling fan in the adjacent room (which was used for about 18-20 hours)

[/quote]

Compare the cost/unit of electricity at that time with the present cost.

Event Mitsubishi Electric splits advertised PKR 550 bill per month for daily usage of a couple hours (can’t recall exactly but the duration was far less than the 12-13 hours you mention for your AC - maybe 2-3 hours). That was 1-2 years ago at least. Now… wake up and smell the democratic Pakistan. :confused:

That gives us 0.75 x 660 ~= 500Watts.
[/quote]

:o

I think that this is a big over estimation… I have got two systems (one P4 and one Core2), together they both consume around 190 Watts of power under normal load…under heavy load it probably get upto 230~… (this figure is without monitors, but I can tell you my 22 inch LCD consumes around 40 Watts and my 17 inch CRT around 80)

Plus you can look at any graphics card review and look at its power consumption charts, eg. consider this one:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/731/17/

This power consumption is that of the total system, and you can see even under heavy load even the most power hungry graphics card has not gone above 400W…

(my estimates of power consumption of my two machines are based on the reading given by my UPS, see http://www.wiredpakistan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2220&p=2)

:o

I think that this is a big over estimation… I have got two systems (one P4 and one Core2), together they both consume around 190 Watts of power under normal load…under heavy load it probably get upto 230~… (this figure is without monitors, but I can tell you my 22 inch LCD consumes around 40 Watts and my 17 inch CRT around 80)

Plus you can look at any graphics card review and look at its power consumption charts, eg. consider this one:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/731/17/

This power consumption is that of the total system, and you can see even under heavy load even the most power hungry graphics card has not gone above 400W…

(my estimates of power consumption of my two machines are based on the reading given by my UPS, see http://www.wiredpakistan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2220&p=2)

[/quote]

I have assumed 75% load on a 400W PSU. The factor I haven’t put in is that a 400W Chinese supply would nominally give 280-300W continuous power under load. I have assumed that the actual power being provided is 400 Watt (in my calculation). That would make the sticker rating be something like… 500 to 550 Watts. And yes, that is a bit high but I am erring on the side of caution. Recalculate with new values but there will be a small difference.

There was some site where you could calculate the load of your system. You could specify the number of HDDs, DVD burners, etc, and it would give you an estimated power requirement. That site could be helpful in estimating a more accurate power consumption figure.